Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Turns out her strategy really was just road signs.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/801888191276089344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Democrats should pass a law that says you have to call them "clips" instead of "magazines" and then harness the heat emitted by the ever-building internal rage of gun forum dudes as a green energy program.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Powercrazy posted:

I'd rather effective laws getting passed, or even
better, maybe enforce the already existing laws?

Crazy I know, but maybe we could try it?

Agreed. We should enjoy existing state laws on high capacity clips. :)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Putin runs a mafia state and funds propaganda against the US, but that doesn't mean that every single site critical of the American empire is part of his web. Russia also didn't poison Hillary Clinton, run a banking server out of Trump's basement, hack Michigan's non-existent voting machines, or secretly tape a Trump orgy.

If you're concerned about the effect of fake news and propaganda, inventing conspiracy theories to explain an embarrassing electoral loss is not a good way to fight back.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

AceRimmer posted:

Go back and listen to the episode of Axe Files with Tim Kaine and try not to lose your will to live.

See also, this from 2010 http://www.cc.com/video-clips/x3j2f8/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-tim-kaine

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

And the aforementioned groups have proven over and over and over again that those needs are not enough to make them support the rights for anyone different to themselves.

We've been over this. 24% of Americans would agree to live in a box underneath a bridge using a curtain rod to cook a sparrow over a garbage fire, so long as you can guarantee them that the family under the next bridge, who is different to them in some way, doesn't get a rod, a sparrow or a box.

Seems like that would leave [does extremely complicated math] 76% who could be convinced otherwise.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

Which is why, try and follow me here, we should try and convince them, and not give a poo poo if we insult the sexists, the racists and the homophobes.

There is literally nobody arguing otherwise.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

Except for the guy that I replied to, who said not appealing enough to bigots is why Hillary lost.

No, they did not. They explicitly said, "without endorsing racism, sexist, or homophobia."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

blamegame posted:

I saw this on twitter, does anyone have a source? it seems unfortunately believable

Freddie has a good post up about this (broader argument) today.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hard to believe these people lost.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Asked whether the national party has chipped in, [Louisiana Democratic Senate candidate] Campbell says, “Not really.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/Jeevesmeister/status/802913709655879680

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Paul Ryan's majority shrank this election and it was already precarious beforehand. He's got a bunch of loonies on his right that are ready to torch the whole place if he doesn't agree to defund the government. Given that, the Democrats' best strategy in the House, which is an entirely majoritarian body, is to march in lockstep unity and force him to make concessions or achieve nothing. Pelosi has six years of experience showing she can do this.

I do understand the desire to force a change of leadership, and especially understand why members from the rust belt don't like her after she purged them from the environmental committee and replaced them with Californians to force CAFE standard through when she was the Speaker. There's also the mild corruption stuff, like using military flights to shuttle her family around. I don't think any of that is worth putting an untested, potentially divisive, leader in charge of a group that has no power if it splinters right now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thoguh posted:

The house doesn't filibuster so what's the benefit of a minority leader being good at keeping party discipline in line? She can help make sure they lose votes by smaller margins?

Paul Ryan needs 218 votes to pass anything. He has 233 Republicans, about 40 of whom are totally nuts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CubsWoo posted:

In 13 years as minority leader and Speaker she has seen the Democrats lose a net 11 seats in the House and is basically the DC Democrat Establishment figurehead, continuing on with her as leader sends a signal that nothing went wrong in 2014 or 2016 and nothing needs to change.

Yup, that's a problem that needs to be addressed. If I thought replacing Pelosi with Tim Ryan would help that along more than the Democrats will benefit from having her head the House conference right now, I'd support his candidacy for leader.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm glad Hillary managed to escape from her new sylvan hideout to perform an important task in our political struggle: giving a prize to a pop singer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is my fight song
Hide from sight song
All alone hike song

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Harry Reid's best moment was when he told Obama his grand bargain idea was a piece of poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That Ross Douthat is the one writing the "maybe the Democrats should give up on identity politics" take should tell you something about it.

(It should tell you that it is not a position held by the left :ssh:)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

big black turnout posted:

i have no idea who he is i just saw that article title in my google now feed and immediately started getting angry

Ross is the New York Times' extremely Catholic columnist who enjoys skinny dipping with William F. Buckley and thinks premarital sex is the biggest problem in America today.

I would suggest that the Democratic party not take his advice.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Schnorkles posted:

did ross actually skinny dip with william buckley

"We're On Our Way Home Now, Duckie!"

quote:

After dessert had been set aside and Ben had gone to clean up, Buckley gathered himself up from his seat and peered down at us. “I generally take a swim after eating,” he said. “You’re all welcome to swim as well, of course.”

Now that he mentioned it, a swim seemed just the thing. (I imagine practically anything would have sounded like just the thing at that point in the evening.) But then I considered the matter more deeply and heaved a deep and regretful sigh.

“I’d swim, sir,” I said. “I would swim, I really would like to. But I’m afraid I didn’t bring a bathing suit.”

It had taken me so long to reach this conclusion that Buckley had already begun to climb the ladder, and now he regarded me with unconcealed amusement. “Well, neither did I. After all, it’s quite dark out there. And we’re all men here, you know.”

When he was gone, Jaime and I sat for a moment in silence, the dinner settling in our stomachs and the wine rising to our eyes.

“You aren’t actually going to go swimming, are you?” he asked me.

“Aren’t you?” I demanded.

“Well ...”

“Well what?”

“I don’t really like to swim very much in general.”

“Well, Jaime,” I said grandly, “neither do I, honestly. But you know, I think there comes a time in a man’s life when he has a chance to say to his grandchildren, I once went skinny-dipping with William F. Buckley, Jr. And this, Jaime, this is that chance.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/carl_diggler/status/804086439151542272

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

In retrospect, it's a miracle they supported Carter the first time.

In retrospect, Bernie would have won.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A good way to know if you're doing things exactly wrong is if you do this.

https://twitter.com/jeffjarvis/status/804080925336342528

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

loquacius posted:

I require more context for the upbeat cereal sales manager

Jeff Jarvis is a professor of media studies who is a "liberal" who supported Hillary, the Iraq war, and was one of the organizers for the GoFundMe to give the NC GOP money when they burned down their shack.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LegoPirateNinja posted:

why does he want people to buy cereal :confused:

Kelloggs pulled their web ads from Breitbart, so a whole bunch of Trumpsters are pretending to boycott them. Jeff thinks the correct response to this is to stock up on Frosted Flakes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

logikv9 posted:

i'm the trump supporter deeply concerned about GMOs in food

If only the Democrats had a candidate who expressed concern about GMOs. OH WAIT!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
burgin pretty hard right now

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Serf posted:

I am woefully not up on Chomsky as well. I thought the dude was just a linguist until recently. Where should you start with his work?

Manufacturing Consent is his most accessible work. There's even a documentary version if you're lazy and don't want to read a million footnotes about East Timor.

There are two things to remember about Chomsky: (1) nobody is going to be able to effectively summarize his work in a forum post, and (2) he's nowhere near as radical as he or his critics would like to pretend.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

Why was East Timor such a critical topic for Chomsky in Manufacturing Consent, which I have not seen? but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more before watching it.

At the time, the Clinton administration was denying complicity in the genocide.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie responds to Trump's deal with Carrier.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/804392625084174337

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Only discussing economic issue in 9% of their advertising is exactly why I have absolutely no sympathy for Hillary's paid campaign staff and am glad they got made fun of by the Trump crew at Harvard today.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/fluff_weather/status/804211761226256384

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vox Nihili posted:

gently caress it, lets all go join Tulsi's Army and just see how things go from there~

Probably fine, since she's opposed to US military intervention abroad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is a really good piece on what we got wrong and what we can learn from Trump's win, particularly the part about people hating professionals, not the rich.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

docbeard posted:

This is a really great example of class not just being about how much money you have, which is a point that I think gets lost sometimes.

Yeah, it's why this was such a good ad: it doesn't call Trump a billionaire, it calls him a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oxlTfqYk0

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, Senate Democrats are laser focused on the real problem in America: Hamilton tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Power Rangers guy is at the DNC meeting saying Ellison wants to drive Israelis into the sea.

• Locked thread