Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My (so far successful) LDR started out as a long-distance booty call. We then were able to work out a way to spend one week on/one week off with each other for most of the next year, before moving to the same city as one another but still living seperately, seeing each other at the weekend.

After that we moved in together, and are six years into a happy relationship. I think this worked for a few reasons, though - we'd known each other for years before getting together, so we had a good idea of how the other person was about 'just life stuff,' so there weren't any real surprises there. Then the fact that we saw each other for as long as possible and as often as possible meant that was translated into real life 'just life stuff' situations. The year we spent living apart but seeing one another at weekends meant we had space to figure out how being closer was going for us, which provided a good foundation for us eventually living together - which had always been the end goal. I think taking it in stages was a very good thing though, rather than jumping from LDR to cohabiting.

So these things can work. But you need to plan, as others have noted, and you need to maximise time spent face-to-face. It just isn't the same over the internet, no matter how many video calls you make. You need time to see real-life foibles, and deal with real life stuff together in person, otherwise it will be a shock to suddenly have this person around you all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread