Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SuperiorColliculus posted:

A) have an endgame. This is critical. Have a timeframe/exit plan on the distance closing.

B) total trust. If you don't, it's gonna blow up in your face.

C) regular visits. We did every three months, and that was probably too infrequent.

I married a girl from Siberia and I gotta say that this is the best advice you're going to get, OP.

Mind you, a plan doesn't need to involve you two getting married (hell we didn't plan on it initially, it just turned out massively easier), just have an idea of where you want the relationship to be x years down the line.

Now, for the technical bit re: watching things together.

1) Consider watching things that are synced up already (livestreams?)
2) If your computer is crap and you're spending that much on plane tickets, consider saving up some cash for a better machine. Hardware is cheap these days.
3) https://synchtu.be/
4) Private twitch stream?

Most screen sharing applications are going to be out. Basically, figure out the video watching part, and the videochat part.
Also good headphones are a must, because watching things and hearing what the other person is hearing on a delay is a bit annoying.

Honestly, when I did this with my now-wife, we found that the best thing to do (for us at least) was to simulwatch things on our own time, and then discuss afterwards. Sure, this lacked immediacy, but made for some pretty cool conversation that I don't think we would have had if we had just been reacting together. But, we'll be the first to admit that we're weird goony shutins in our private lives, so this may not work for you.

Alternatively, just link each other what we want to watch then hit play at roughly the same time. Not quite realtime, but solves a lot of technical headaches, and makes things less complicated.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread