Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
Basically everything that has been said. I would also add that it can be helpful to schedule joint activities if you are far enough apart that you can't see each other frequently. I'm currently in an LDR and my partner and I watch one of our favourite shows together every week. We also occasionally do a movie night where we both watch the same movie and talk on the phone at the same time. Some people might not be so into that but we've found it helpful. Bill and Melinda Gates used to go and see the same movie in theatres and then talk about it afterwards. I think it helps keep the other person part of your day to day life.

Also, I would say make sure you're prompt with your texts (like funny leave it a day or two). My partner and I used to touch base everyday because we lived together, and we've tried to keep that constant now that we're long distance. That doesn't mean constantly keeping tabs on the other person, more like a text saying have a good night out on a Friday evening or whatever.

Communication is especially important if you have any trust stuff, and if either of you is of the type to shut down/become asocial when stressed.

Lastly, if either of you lives with roommates, in your parents' house or has any kind of communal living situation, consider springing for a hotel or air bnb for at least one night when you do see each. Alone time is really important, and if you're only seeing each other infrequently it's really nice to just exist with your partner and not have to worry about anyone else.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
I wrote a long post but Awful App deleted it :(.

Anyway, the gist of it was similar to what the last two posters said, except with some advice.

First, short bursts of intense in person interaction is not at all similar to actually being with a person in the same place. If you only see someone for 2 weeks if the year it's really easy for both people to be on their best behaviour, and for both people to clear their schedules so the nitty gritty of life doesn't really show-up. It's easy to love someone from far away or when on vacation.

With that said, I strongly encourage one of you to visit the other for a longer chunk of time before your girlfriend moved to western Canada. If you're a student and a Canadian citizen you should be able to get a working travel visa pretty easily. Spend next summer in the UK with your girlfriend before she up roots her life for you. If you're not willing to consider that, or don't seriously look into a way to make something like that work, then I definitely don't think either of you should uproot for the long term.

• Locked thread