Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I miss my girlfriend :'(

EDIT: TELL ME ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY SIDE OF A LONG-DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP

Short story: She lives in the UK and I live in Western Canada. We met online through fannish means (aka we both write fanfic) were really good friends for months and became super gay for each other (we're both women). We silently pined for the other for months so we didn't come off as a :siren: predatory lesbian. :siren: Eventually she visited (as a friend) and by the end of the trip she had confessed and then we started dating.

We've been dating for three months. We talk via text for literally hours a day, skype at least once a week, and we have never run out of things to talk about.

Our communication is strong, our trust is strong, we send each other letters and packages. We read to each other over skype and sometimes watch netflix together.

Our plan is for her to get a work visa and move here. Because I'm in classes for 2/3rds of the year, it's not really viable for us to meet several times a year. Plus a round trip plane ticket is like $1200 CAD. So far we have a rate of twice a year planned (she's visiting me on Valentine's Day) it's not nearly enough, but we'll be okay.

ANYWAY, I wanted to ask about some good options for simulcast multimedia streaming, preferably with webcams involved. BASICALLY WE WANNA WATCH NETFLIX/DAILYMOTION/YOUTUBE/OUR OWN VIDEOS AND ALSO SEE EACH OTHER'S FACE.

I've been through the LDR subreddit a few times, but they all suggest the same app/websites and those aren't really what I'm looking for. Rabbit is nice, but the uncustomizable layout is really annoying. Share screen on skype doesn't really work because my webcam is attached to my laptop and my laptop is old and slow as gently caress so I can't run a video and skype at the same time.

I thought I vaguely remembered a livestream service where one person could stream something (my pc), and then viewers (my girlfriend and my laptop) could connect their webcams and talk about it at the same time?

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Chinaman7000 posted:

How far are you guys, for how long, and what reason?

HMM I swear my original post detailed our relationship and what I hoped to get out of this thread, but instead I guess I just left it as some sad, pathetic sentence. :shrug:

Short version: She lives in the UK and I live in Western Canada. We met online through fannish means (aka we both write fanfic) were really good friends for months and became super gay for each other (we're both women). We silently pined for the other for months so we didn't come off as a :siren: predatory lesbian :siren:. Eventually she visited (as a friend) and by the end of the trip she had confessed and then we started dating.

We've been dating for three months. We talk via text for literally hours a day, skype at least once a week, and we have never run out of things to talk about.

Our communication is strong, our trust is strong, we send each other letters and packages. We read to each other over skype and sometimes watch netflix together.

Our plan is for her to get a work visa and move here. Because I'm in classes for 2/3rds of the year, it's not really viable for us to meet several times a year. Plus a round trip plane ticket is like $1200 CAD. So far we have a rate of twice a year planned (she's visiting me on Valentine's Day) it's not nearly enough, but we'll be okay.

:siren:ANYWAY,:siren: I wanted to ask about some good options for simulcast multimedia streaming, preferably with webcams involved. BASICALLY WE WANNA WATCH NETFLIX/DAILYMOTION/YOUTUBE/OUR OWN VIDEOS AND ALSO SEE EACH OTHER'S FACE.

I've been through the LDR subreddit a few times, but they all suggest the same app/websites and those aren't really what I'm looking for. Rabbit is nice, but the uncustomizable layout is really annoying. Share screen on skype doesn't really work because my webcam is attached to my laptop and my laptop is old and slow as gently caress so I can't run a video and skype at the same time.

I thought I vaguely remembered a livestream service where one person could stream something (my pc), and then viewers (my girlfriend and my laptop) could connect their webcams and talk about it at the same time?

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

Spend next summer in the UK with your girlfriend before she up roots her life for you. If you're not willing to consider that, or don't seriously look into a way to make something like that work, then I definitely don't think either of you should uproot for the long term.
This is a really, really good idea. I could probably even get sponsored by the charity she works for (they do that sometimes).

• Locked thread