Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I live in Europe and have a girlfriend in Philippines, so quite far away to say the least. I met her over there by random, then I went home as planned shortly after, and we stayed in touch online.

I think the "have an exit strategy" is some of the best advice I've seen, otherwise who knows where it'll end. If both of you want to stay forever in their own country, I don't see how it'll end up amounting to anything. The exit strategy for us is clear, and we have talked about it frankly: She will come marry and live with me (if I want of course, no promises). Start discussing the topic ASAP, even if you're afraid it might break the relationship.

I'm fine without day-to-day interaction really. We chat on Facebook daily about this and that. I'm not a big fan of video chat, particularly since the internet is crap where she lives, so the sound and video quality is terrible, and the video is out of sync with the audio. I go to Asia for 2 weeks once a year (in the terrible cold winter), and she comes to me for a few months on a a Schengen (EU) visa in the warm European summer. Particularly the months staying at me is a good "test" of the relationship, since it involves the drudgery of every day life, such as me going to work, cleaning, shopping groceries, cooking, etc. It's very easy to get blinded while you're on a vacation, since it's all fun and games for the short while it lasts. People who meet a girl abroad once, then next marry her and have her stay permanently in their home shortly after, are nuts. It's not that hard to get a tourist visa to Europe at least, unless the country your partner is in is on the poo poo list.

You can also meet eachother in another place than where you both live and enjoy a vacation together there, that's what I'm doing on my next Asia trip.

If you want to invest in and expand the "digital relationship" with simultaneous video watching and Skype, stop making excuses about how your laptop is old and slow, and just buy a new computer, preferably a stationary computer, and with a separate, high-quality webcam. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

Two months without an update, were probably done here. :smith:
Quite the contrary!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802581&pagenumber=11&perpage=40#post467658294

vivisecting posted:

Dec 23, 2016 15:25
Looking for a two-player (co-op?) game that I can play with my girlfriend. Her laptop is a non-gaming potato. It can run something like Terraria, probably. L4D2 and Portal 2 would probably also work. Any suggestions along those lines?

Unless they already moved in together, of course...

• Locked thread