Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this dude legit?

the internet says he's probably legit

He's played very well in the last few weeks in the three areas that people are looking at: defense, shooting the 3, and pick+roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

Taking Ball and asking him to play off ball with Simmons as the functional point guard seems like a tremendous waste

Yeah, he's probably the worst fit out of the top draftees to pair with Simmons considering his shot is questionable at the NBA level and he doesn't penetrate like Fultz or Smith.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I dunno, I think even if Simmons is good out of the gate, putting a rookie with no minutes under his belt in charge of ball handling in the middle of the season is a formula to lose more, not less.

Rodriguez and McConnell are decent ballhandlers. They'll be fine.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

This is delusional.

In the context of this team and having a top 5 draft pick and your pick it isn't.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

It's not "my pick." It's the Lakers pick, and I don't make every or most posts about other teams in the context of the Lakers, and I'm certainly not going to Rivals post about the Sixers.

I'm an Arizona alumn, I love TJ, he was one of the engines behind the best teams Arizona had in recent memory, and while I was there at school. If this was some sort of personal thing I would never have a mean thing to say about him . . .but he's barely holding on at this point and Sergio was unwanted by every other team in the league (and the Sixers) for like four years, and even now I find his numbers to be highly questionable and I don't see him as being much more than the third guard that he was when he played on good (or even not so good) basketball teams.

These aren't the guys who stop a team from deciding to give its zero-minute rookie ball handling duties--even if that Rookie is Lebron James Level (see: Lebron Jame's rookie season)--from losing nearly every basketball game that they play. It's a nature of basketball thing.

Brolic has a solid point about other teams trying really hard to lose and that might make it possible for the Sixers to dig out of the bottom three. But come on. TJ McConnell and Sergio Rodriguez. Come on.

They're both good ballhandlers that can cover for Simmons if he has problems being the primary; Sergio was in Europe on his volition because of family and only came back because $9 million is $9 million. McConnell has proven to be a very solid back up; he was drat close to dropping a triple double last week. I don't think Simmons coming back is going to alter the W/L records too much.

New Draftexpress mock is up.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 5, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Am I correct in thinking that Hamadou Diallo can be drafted in 2017?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/RealJakeHyman/status/819739382001319936

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

Appreciate it. I've heard the Schroeder comparisons non stop so it's good to get some insight.

Bodywise, he's much longer than Schroder; 3 inches taller and ~4-5 inches longer in terms of wingspan.

He reminds me a lot of Reggie Jackson in terms of his frame (weight/height/length).

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

OG Anuoby will have knee surgery and is out for the season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

This is amazing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Wing for UNC. He was a top 5-10 guy coming out of high school, but then wasn't very good his first two years. He's shooting like 10% from 3 this year and having a really good season. I am skeptical

Also needed to put on 15-20 lbs last time I checked.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Ball family is really aggravating.

https://twitter.com/ironmikeluke/status/835611155301183492

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Well, it's a fake tweet so

Russell sorta reminds of me a little of Deron Williams in his Utah days, I think he'll be the "does a little of everything" and the type of guy who you want to have the ball in his hands. I don't think he gets to the rim as well as DWill did, and that will be a big part of how his game develops I think.

I mean, if Ball is staring you in the face with your pick I think you try to figure it out.

If you think Russell is as good as Williams, you pass on Ball and take Josh Jackson in a heartbeat (assuming Fultz isn't an option).

I think they're a bit different in terms of their playstyle and overall potential; Williams was much more of a pure PG and was top 4-5 at his position by his second year.

He was reallllllly good.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 27, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has Josh Jackson played to his potential at all or has he been yet another Kansas Wing Player?

Why do talented wings still go to Kansas and suffer under Bill Self for a year?

He's been really good, especially the last month or two.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Depending on fit I think he may actually still go #1 after the combine etc...teams will talk themselves into him

If he shoots well over the tournament, summer, etc. someone definitely might, especially if there are any serious doubts about Fultz's knee or Ball's shot.

He's a good defender, great passer, smart, athletic, good on and off the ball, etc.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Back to Ntilikina, he doesn't seem as zippy as the other guys, but he seems a lot longer. It's hard because in the non camp video he's playing competition between like really good high school team and division 2 college teams, and he easily just drives through a crowd. IT doesn't tell you much about him. In the camp videos you see a bit of his passing, you see his sort of in progress jumper. On defense he's like a more athletic George Hill, obviously without all the knowledge and skill, but he has the desire and body type to be a very good 1/2 defender. I think he'll be a clearly better player than Dennis Schroder, even if he isnt as lightning quick, his length and passing ability make him stand out. That's just an african-german heritage recent NBA player comp and feel free to put me into lazy comp jail over it. Schroder is a waterbug type who hasn't ever turned his wingspan into decent NBA defense, and never really defended before getting to the NBA. Ntilikina sees the game like a pg, he tries on defense, he'll need to make an adjustment to length and speed. Developing a decent three is really important for him, less so than say, Dennis Smith Jr, because he's not a super athlete.

It's a decent comp, but he's much bigger than Schroder (+3" height and +5" standing reach); his physical frame is very analogous to Reggie Jackson's.

I think he'll be much better prepared coming into the league than Schroder was. I think he's a lot more polished than people realize and it's looking like his shot is good enough that he could log time at SG if necessary.

Watch the FIBA U18 videos from December; whoever is teaching him is smart and has focused on running/defending the P+R, 3 point shot, and defense.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Luka Doncic write up from DX.
https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/842044991899881473

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/845073003629174785

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

Will Jackson be able to guard 1-4 or is he's going to be better off sticking just 3-4s?

1-4.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

He's gonna have to bulk up a lot before he can guard 4s

Yeah that's the one where I'm doubtful, even with weight gain, unless it's a :New NBA: power forward.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I honestly have no idea who the Sixers should draft if they don't get #1.

Ball or Jackson if it's 2-3. Monk, Tatum, or Ntilikina if they're in the 5-7 range.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Draft express does a really good job covering Euro guys, I think

Specifically, check out the FIBA U18 tournament video from December.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I had a dream that the lottery went SAC->BRK->NOP->PHX->LAL

And it was a perfect outcome in my mind.

Is that ascending or descending order because I have some bad news for you if it's ascending.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/EuroLeague/status/850460768915075072

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/851139597211979776

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Markkkkkkanen will finally be the NBA player that Finland can be proud of

Poor Petteri Koponen.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

He has strong Ibaka vibes beyond the shot blocker who shoots threes thing, the lack of in between game, the disengagement when his guards are off playing reindeer games.

He could either be a perfect role player, a backup with some skills, or a very good player if he puts everything together on the right team.

I think Noel is a test case for how important it is for players like Isaac to get to play in the right situation. If a lot of your game comes from your mobility and ability to run the floor, it's easy to get discouraged if your guards are poo poo (is Dwayne Bacon good or did Jonathan Isaac just make him look good, he's being mocked in the early 20s. I kind of like him because he's so poppy and bippy, but his basketball IQ is low low low) and you don't get the ball despite putting in all the effort.

Isaac is to Vonleh what Markannen is to Henry Ellenson, Isaac and Markannen have both showed in games that they can do the stuff they're said to be able to do, Ellenson and Vonleh were just like,"well he's decent at this one thing so he should be good at this other thing too eventually"

Except Noel isn't super guard dependent with his skill set.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Except Noel isn't super guard dependent with his skill set.

Other than the weird Ish Smith Jedi mind connection he has.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

I'm probably biased because Nova is local and I've seen them play a ton but I think Josh Hart could carve out a spot in a teams rotation.

Hart, Evans, and Monte Morris.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, one of those rookies played 30 games on a minutes restriction.
Dario was completely poo poo until Embiid went down and he got to expand his role.
And above all, this sixers season was poo poo.

They almost tripled their win total, Holmes/TJ/TLC were great, and both Embiid and Dario should be 1/2 order in ROY if voters aren't commies.

He's right.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kibner posted:

Rookies are better than the average player that was on the Sixers, true. Rookies will be worse than the average player on the Celtics, though.

The Celtics currently are getting buttfucked by the Bulls on national TV. I don't think working in a top 3 pick next season is going to be a net negative, even if Jackson's skill set is a bit redundant with Crowder and Smart.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

If anyone has an Alexa and is too lazy to use a web browser to look at Tankathon, there's a solution :)

https://pmyers88.github.io/nba-tank-standings/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It's also loving stupid because no team has even close to a 55% chance to be picking first.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I have a feeling the Celtics might pick Jackson

If their pick falls to #2 or #3 sure, but I have a hard time seeing them pass on Fultz considering their budget/guard situation and the :LeBron timeline:.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

I know virtually nothing about Brown or Jackson. Can one of them play the 2 or 4?

They both look like they could guard 1-4, but they're 3s at heart.

I don't think Boston takes him with the #1 unless there's a trade and one or more of Smart, Brown, Crowder get moved.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ainge seems like the kind of guy who'd be repelled by Ball's dad, so I don't see the Celtics taking him.

Ainge and Lavar would engage in fisticuffs within the first 15 minutes of meeting each other.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/859480082771046403

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

It only has one year left on his deal right ?

IT, Bradley, and Smart deals are all up after next season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, theoretically by the time Fultz is good enough to actually do poo poo then Horford will be over the hill. But also by that time Lebron will be old too so who knows.

I accidentally responded in G/V, but

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is probably the choice with the best risk:profit.

See if Bird will take some combination of Smart/Bradley/2018 Nets pick for George. Run a starting 5 of IT-Brown-George-Crowder-Horford with Fultz as the 6th man. That's relatively competitive roster with the Cavs/Warriors and parts of the core are still young enough to be relevant if/when LeBron's level of play ever starts to decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/862038063744155651

• Locked thread