Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

Ah yes, SAS's no exception single-drop rule.

Blake Griffin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Also, in totally not surprising news.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/862372707807244288

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Isaac isn't a 3, he's not agile enough, he's just a very skinny 4 who should be able to switch pretty easily on defense. His lack of in between game is a DOOMSAYER, he really needs to learn it to avoid becoming an Ibaka. He's being projected as a rich man's Jon Leueur but it's hard to say, his guards never passed to him at florida state.

You don't want Ball if you have Ben Simmons and Fultz, that wouldn't make any sense. Simmons and Fultz are a nice combination because Simmons has the playmaking to make up for Fultz's lack. Fox is also a bad fit because he can't shoot and is a pg. Why would you draft Simmons and Fultz and then take the ball out of their hands? I don't see the sixers getting the lakers pick, but if they somehow get 1 and 4, the logical picks are Fultz and Tatum, who's a real 3 who can do the things you want a small forward to do in the contemporary NBA.

If you want to get wild, Fultz and Monk, because Monk gives them a dynamic scorer and a third own-offense-creator after Fultz and Embiid. If they get 2 and 4 they could draft Jackson, try and go wild and trade down a couple spots and pick up Dennis Smith. I don't see why Fox is rising so high in mock drafts. Maybe he cut his hair?

Fultz+Monk really isn't "wild". It's the logical choices if they get 1 + 4 to 6.

Fox it moving up because people think he might be able to fix his shot.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The "one and done" is over. Welcome to the era of the "half and done".

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

Ford is reporting that Fox is ahead of Ball with some front offices, and Dennis Smith has shot way up some boards (no shock) and that a Fultz/Fox/Ball/Smith 1,2,3,4 draft is in play.

Fox, Jordan Bell, and Donovan Mitchell are rocketing up the board.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

jfc DX moved Mitchell all the way up to #12.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

If you were LA, assuming they have #3, would you trade #3 for #8 and #10 to the Kings if it were on the table? I think I would rather roll with Isaac/Collins than another SF or PG. I also am low on Jackson though. Feels like Stanley Johnson again.

Isaac/Collins are pretty similar to Ingram/Zubac. Jackson is much much much more skilled than SJ and wouldn't be a bad choice for them at 3 if they don't want to go for a PG and play Russell off the ball.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Josh Jackson is a much higher level prospect than Stanley Johnson. Their similarities are hair, shaky jumper, solid all around game, willingness to play defense. But Jackson is a better athlete, bigger, faster, more agile and hoppy, and he's a better scorer. He might not be as much of a passer. He does play defense. The similarities are cosmetic, though. I don't think there's a huge amount of risk in Josh Jackson unless his shot dies hard and he can't adjust to NBA length. Stanley Johnson has struggled in the NBA, because teams don't respect his hair restricted jumper, and give him no room for those plodding stone foot drives. Josh Jackson can do more in those spaces than Stanley. I don't feel like I'm doing him justice. Just watch a couple condensed games and you'll see why hes' a 2-4 pick and Stanley was an 8

And no, in this draft there is no way I would give up 2 for 8 and 10. Unless I had some secret intel that I could get Dennis Smith and Markannen with those picks and I was also getting like a top 3 protected first in addition

Only two quibbles: JJ is much smaller than SJ weightwise (~20 lbs) and his passing is much better, to the point that it's one of his strengths. SJ is functional to mediocre in that respect.

Jackson played really well for the whole year, but showed off a lot of new skills in the last part of the college season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Dejan, tell me about Jonah Bolden, can he play SF, and why a couple of posters elsewhere said he could sneak into the lottery

Looks like a versatile big 3 who can slide up to 4. Played overseas last year and was pretty good. I haven't seen him in the first round in any mock, but a few have him in the mid-2nd.

Are the other posters UCLA fans?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I'm not really sure Issac is gonna be the guy who stands next to Towns or Porizingis to provide defense very quickly, although I guess there isn't that guy in the top 10 who's gonna do that anyway.

Anunoby is probably the closest, but he's borderline top 10.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I think the best thing for the league tomorrow is for the Sixers to get #1, the Kings to get #2, and uh, Dallas to get #3.

retweet if you agree with me
If that happens, the Sixers also get the #4 and Sam Hinkie will enter into the final stage of his metamorphisis into a godking.

No one wants to play for Vivek or sit on the Boston bench for the whole year.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/864213325655162880

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

2018 news

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/864228911810523137

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Jota posted:

Actually best scenario is Kings #1, Pelicans #2, whoever #3, Lakers #6, Sixers #7.

I'd sacrifice the Lakers pick a few spots for the Kings winning the lottery and only moving from 8th to 7th.

I always forget about the 2019 pick.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Chad Ford said that no one wants to work out from the Kings. But either he's recycling quotes or just talking to the same agent
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6bdlrw/either_chad_ford_is_talking_to_the_same_agent/

Also apparently the Kings are getting looks at players
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/5/15/15630594/sacramento-kings-predraft-visits-lottery-vlade-divac-scott-perry

So I guess Chad Ford is still a hack and hiring Perry is already working out for the Kings

Lol @ Ford, but what's the reason for Fultz talking with the Kings?

There is literally a 0% chance that he could go there due to the pick swap and they don't have the assets to make a package for him.

Ball seems like a much more feasible target to draft directly or a trade.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

You know as well as I. That's one of those I guess we'll see things but I mean...sometimes you have an NFL running back run a 4.6 and people are like he's not quick enough to succeed at the NFL level and then he turns into LeVeon Bell.

edit: are you guys watching the games?

That tends to be the exception that proves the rule. I'm not as down on Ball as others, but there are very valid questions about his ability to perform at the same level in the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

I hope the Sixers don't get ball. Very afraid of him.

I'm not a fan of the Simmons+Ball combo.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Sixers draft party is amazing.

https://twitter.com/JakePavorsky/status/864614398614269952

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lol someone just proposed.

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/864624116120272898

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was the gig. One of the local jewelers is a huge fan of The Process/Rights to Ricky Sanchez/Lottery party/etc so he gave out a free ring to a couple if they would propose at the Party

Pavorsky's. There's a crew of about half a dozen young 76ers journalists who organized the lottery party and his son, Jake Pavorsky, is one of them.

They just raised a big Sam Hinkie banner to the rafters.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/864625415461195776

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

He has a shirley temple at his desk, also.

The shoes are amazing.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/864636606376005633

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Jota posted:

oh god please

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/864644874414546944

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

So who does Philly take

Jackson.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

I take Monk at #3.

Might as well take Fox or Smith and then trade back a few spots in that case.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Billy King needs to be executed

Just wait till next year when the Celtics get to draft Michael Porter Jr.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Harlock posted:

Exactly. They get the Kings pick in 2019 too, right? Both those teams are gonna be bad. A top 10 pick for two straight years as they go to the playoffs.

No. Sixers get the Lakers 2018 pick and the Kings 2019.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Harlock posted:

That's what I said though

I'm an idiot who thought you were referring to the Lakers. :cheers:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Boosh! posted:

That some Billy King Sam Hinkie poo poo

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/NStauskas11/status/864645917881782272

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Ok, so now Boston has to be looking to move that pick, right?

There the school of thought that LeBron will dominate the East for the next 3-4 years and therefore you keep Fultz.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The D'Angelo trade rumors already out in force.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

It also means taking the ball out of ITs hands, or benching Avery Bradley (who becomes a lot less useful against other bench units). I think Boston has a lot more chance if they move this pick for someone like Butler or something and putting together a 3 year run than try to bring Fultz along, likely lose IT, and probably waste Horford.

Fultz would play more off the ball with IT as opposed to being the primary and the issue could be mitigated by playing Fultz as a super 6th man.

Even if they manage to make it through the LeBron buzzsaw they'll still be facing the Warriors in the Finals for the foreseeable future and I'm not sure even Butler puts them over the top of those two teams.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone sell me on Tatum since now I'm worried Fox might be off the board because Phoenix or Philly will be big dummy heads
Tatum fits a need and is a great offensive player who would pair well with Hield and Labisierre. He's got perfect size for a 3 who can play 4 on a small ball lineup. He's not an incredible defender, but he's decent with a chance to be good eventually.

The one reason not to take him would be if they liked Anunoby and believed he would still be there at #10. In that case taking a PG like Smith at #5 might be a better idea.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Khagan posted:

Who gets MPJr next year?

This is the other reason why they shouldn't trade Fultz. Having a young core of Fultz, Smart, Brown, MPJr is just too enticing IMHO.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

Ironically Markkanen is the exact player Timberwolves fans were clamoring for last year before the order was drawn and they thought they could get Ingram and turn him into an instant stretch 4. Now your instant stretch 4 is here and you don't want him!

Which is especially sad because he'd also let them lock down that lucrative Finnish American market demographic in the upper MidWest.

:cheeky:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/864653965488685056

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I'm kinda just throwing out names at this point. I'm just desperate for the Sixers to do something about their lack of guards that does not involve giving Lowry 4/160

Monte Morris is a solid PG who'll probably be available in the early 2nd.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Would any non-lotto teams that would trade their late 1st for Okafor and 2 seconds?

Not too many teams with need or PT for a traditional center in that range. Detroit, Denver, and Miami are all set. Probably would have to get to the late teens early 20s before it could be digestible. Maybe Atlanta at #19 if Dwight leaves or Portland/Brooklyn at #20/#22 considering they have multiple picks in the 1st.

IMHO he's probably more valuable as a piece in bigger deal; e.g. Okafor, TLC, Covington, Lakers 2019, etc. for Butler.

Edit: Misread and thought you meant late lotto.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

Monte is good but I think he's a bad fit for the Sixers because he's so pass-first, and just kind of generally not that great of a scorer when he does put his mind to it, that I just don't see him as aligning with a lineup that doesn't have a lot of other shooting.

True. Not many PGs other than Evans after the bounty in the top 10. Edmond Sumner, Frank Jackson, and NWG are the only ones off the top of my head.

I guess the best option would be to package some of the 2nds to grab Evans somewhere in the mid-20s if possible.

I'm not super concerned about the position though unless McConnell or Bayless gets seriously injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I feel like Josh Hart would be converted into a PG in any era but this one and like the 1950s, and his on the ball stats make me think he can play it in the NBA (he was better in on the ball PnR than Ball). I also think P.J. Dozier should be playing point but that might just be me. Speaking of South Carolina Thornwell is very much my jam although he is not really a pg although maybe could play the spot with a natural distributor.

Is Thornwell the defensive stopper that some sites are claiming he is?

• Locked thread