Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Background: I'm the service coordinator at a window and door company and part of my job is collecting on past due accounts. We're corporate, though, so human factors don't usually apply.

Like, say, this one customer who owed $340 and died. His nephew came in and made a $100 cash payment 2 months ago, and the suits still on me to collect the $240 and they won't write it off as bad debt yet even though I've been chasing it for 5 months now. I've mailed invoices, I've left voice messages until the mailbox is full. I've gotten contact information for a supposed payer, but they never returned my calls.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to collect on this debt, but how can I make my employers see that? Or how can I make good on the $240? I want the money. I don't get my commission until they shell out, but I understand the dude passed and it may not happen.

Thanks for any help you can provide; Google isn't turning up much for what I'm looking for specifically, everything I'm seeing requires lawyers and court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
File a claim with the estate/ probate court or hound the relatives to pay a debt they are not legally obligated to pay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Actually, don't illegally pursue people who are not responsible for the debt.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

slap me silly posted:

Actually, don't illegally pursue people who are not responsible for the debt.

A mod that doesn't want me to break the law?

Now I've seen everything.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm confused how little op must get paid that $240 is something that matters as opposed to all the time spent

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

Thanks for any help you can provide; Google isn't turning up much for what I'm looking for specifically, everything I'm seeing requires lawyers and court.

You will never get that commission. Put it at the bottom of the pile and stop wasting your time on it. You don't need to end up on TV for harassing people for a debt you can't legally collect, although if you do state clearly that your employer told you to collect on it even though you explained to your boss that it is illegal.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

That's what I had a bad feeling about; the CFO HATES to see stuff sitting on A/R and they expect me to chase it until it gets written off. I suppose I can just bullshit my collections logs since I'm not getting through to anyone live anyway.

Thanks, goons!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
There should be a lawyer or a person handling the estate. You can call that person and get in line to collect. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Don't call members of their family. Don't call other phone numbers. The lawyer should be able to handle all the information. If the person was flush with cash and has some leftover, you'll get paid eventually.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

The plot thickens. I come into my office today to a voicemail from none other than the customer himself...when everyone that I had spoken to said he was in the hospital and then dead. He's supposed to be sending his nephew by with the remainder of the payment today and apologized because they had a death in the family.

:allears:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Looks like the company is on pace for record profits this month.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Okay so let's say that if he had actually died and the OP just sold the debt off to collections, what are the odds that a collection agency would seek out his estate/probate in order to collect $200? What if the probate was already closed, would they really have it reopened to try and get squared up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
You can make a bad or doubtful debts account to track stuff like this, and write this off as a loss on your taxes. I am not sure of the actual way this is filed but depending on your status there is a form out there. If this is the only $200 you got out there then this may not be worth putting time into.

I mail out a special blue paper for overdue invoices (with an "overdue" stamp!) :downs: Though I doubt dead guys care about that.

• Locked thread