Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Thank you for reminding me about Martavis Bryant.He is so wicked fast that he outran Patrick Peterson wtice on the same play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Chiefs:
OT Russell Okung, DT Stephen Paea, DT Devon Still, OT Luke Joeckel, DE Stephen Tuitt, Dorial Green-Beckham.

uh..... I think please don't listen to Kiper ever, thx.

Stephon Tuitt is a monster :tipshat:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Ha ha oh man, that really hits the nail on the head for dudes like Mallett and Osweiler. Why are NFL front offices so enamored with arm size and height when it's obvious accuracy and decision making are so much more important. They all seem to think after some kid has spent 15 years since peewee launching the football into orbit against garbage defenses that their staff will be the one to hone him into a precision weapon.

Worked out pretty well with Aaron Rodgers

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^^ Rodgers was considered a system QB with a great arm who had been super accurate but had the Tedford stink on him. It's not the same thing at all.

Even for Jameis Winston who mostly got Roethlisburger comparisons they still would reach for Byron Leftwich as a comp.

I was more thinking about his terrible pre-Green Bay mechanics, which were supposed to hinder him at the pro level

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also sat a long time and they spent all that time reworking his mechanics.

Yes but the discussion is about why coaches think they can fix QBs, which why Aaron is an example of one that got fixed

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There will be 3 or 4 runningbacks no one has considered that will do better than either of those two, because that is how NFL running backs work.

One of them will be James Conner, the next Pitt running back that will be great in the NFL

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Reminder that my and good 'ol Dan Marino's alma mater defeated the national champs this year lol.

Someone draft James Conner -- he's the next great NFL player to come out of Pitt

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kirios posted:

Honestly I wouldn't even mind taking someone like Nathan Peterman in the 2nd or 3rd. He kind of reminds me of Kirk Cousins coming out.

Don't do this to yourself.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

what, the thing he does every year where he convinces himself the Texans NEED to draft an incredibly lovely quarterback because just signing one in the off-season isn't good enough?

Nate Peterman is not good, and won't be any better than Savage at the pro level, with a signficantly weaker arm to boot. They shouldn't waste a pick on him

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Sataere posted:

That's just hyperbolic bullshit. These are a different set of quarterbacks and they need to be evaluated on their own merits. Think of what people were saying about Wentz after being picked 2nd and being unheralded as a prospect.

If you think the guy at three could be an above average starter for multiple years, you take him, even if a prospect grades higher positiionally. Because quarterbacks are that loving important.

Trust your evaluation process, but you can't apply the same rules to quarterback if you need one. Or you end up the Texans at best.

Just make sure you are evaluating him based on his skill level, not your own desperate hopes.

Wentz was more-or-less considered the best QB prospect during the draft process with Goff sorta rising as people second-guessed towards the end. He wasn't unheralded at all

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Doltos posted:

Nope.

In an obvious self-brag I called Wentz back in January going in the top 15 and people asked me if I was serious. Goff held the #1 pretty much all year with Wentz being in the top 100 due to the FCS dominance of NDSU. Remember that Wentz was heavily injured that year and didn't have the greatest of seasons either. Besides that you easily had guys like Paxton Lynch holding the #1 or #2 spot all year due to stupid FBS hype.

Then once the draft process hit it really looked like Goff ran away with the show in the combine. Then again Hackenberg also performed well in the throwing drills, but I digress.

I mean after the CFB season, into the combine and beyond. Wentz and Goff were neck and neck after the combine

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Hey Doltos, I'm seeing more & more mocks connecting the Steelers to JJ Watt's little brother TJ. What's the scoop on him?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I can see Arians coveting Mahomes

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

hifi posted:

Arians has been pretty cagey about what he wants out of a QB... he's ripped colleges in general for working out of the shotgun, and then we go and get logan thomas.

You watch mahomes and he could do basically anything. That tech team was good because of him and bad because their defense would give up 50+ points regularly.

Thomas was a VT qb, like Bruce himself

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Fournette looked like the 2nd coming of Jim Brown in 2015.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I hope the Steelers draft Riddick

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Doltos posted:

Don't worry they will along with 3 or 4 other LBs.

Like the certainty of the sun rising in the east, the Steelers will take a a LB in round 1

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

Can you imagine benching next to your older brother and you do 21 reps and then he does 21 and keeps going until he hits 34? That's a lifetime of ownage.

My 2nd oldest brother is 4 inches shorter than me, and can bench way more than me due to the significantly shorter travel of each rep. Still bugs me lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Ehud posted:

Bell is way bigger than Cook but tested better than Cook in everything but the 40.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/le'veon-bell?id=2540175

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dalvin-cook?id=2557991

Look at the difference in the cone and shuttle :stare:

Makes sense. It's nearly impossible to tackle Bell if you're facing him, but he gets drug down from behind all the time

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

How does Nathan Peterman compare to someone like, say, Tom Savage?

Pitt alumni here. Savage has a howitzer arm with no accuracy and Peterman has an Alex Smith arm, and accuracy issues

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Doltos posted:

Leonard Fournette. I'm a sucker for RBs.

If I had to go defense and wasn't judged for it and the owner guaranteed my job safety, Jamal Adams. The cover 5 is getting more prevalent in the NFL and I believe SS's should be valued a lot higher than they are. I think Garrett's an okay first pick still it's just that the Browns are stuck in a pretty horrible situation.

I think the Steelers will take Jabrill Peppers for this reason. I'd rather they take best available edge rusher, but I see the thinking behind fielding 3 starting caliber safeties rather than your 2 starters and a guy off the bench. These position-less tweener guys are gonna get more and more valuable

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I've seen a highlight where Mahomes threw a ball 80 yards. Alex Smith can't teach that guy anything

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Gatts posted:

Browns how about this...gently caress a QB this year and get me a team he can throw to and a QB next year. Get Garrett and Howard.

This really is what the Browns should do.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kalli posted:

That's how I feel.

Carr, Wilson, Cousins, Dalton, Dak and even Kaepernick/Bridgewater all show that you can build a competent team and plug in 2nd-4th round QB's now and find success.

That seems better then the talent dry teams grabbing QB's top 10 which has given us over that timeframe:

Hits: Cam, Luck, Stafford, Tannehill
Misses: Sanchez, Bradford, Gabbert, Locker, RG3

Not sure, trending positive: Mariota, Winston, Wentz
Not sure, trending negative: Bortles, Goff

Of course plenty (most) round 2-4 QB's loving fail, but at least that only costs you a later pick and not like Eric Berry or Kalil Mack. And QB's in better situations tend to have way higher hit rates for some mysterious loving reason.

I didn't do a whole lot of research on it, but I did ask myself what's the most basic common denominator on whether a potential franchise QB becomes a success, and I feel like there's pretty compelling evidence that the more complete a team is, the more likely a QB is to succeed. Especially having a dominant defense. If you look at the dynasties in the Super Bowl era, Bradshaw, Staubach, Montana, Kelly, Brady all went to teams that were either building or already had dominant defenses. Favre went from an afterthought to The Man as soon as the defense was good enough to compensate for his funslinging gently caress-ups. Ben, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Wilson and even Dalton also fit the idea that a QB's success is predicated on having a a great defense.

Of course, there's outliers like Marino, Elway, PFM (and I also include Luck in this group), and both the Aikman and Prescott Cowboys. The former being the ultra rare archetypal QB, and the latter bolstered by all-time great offensive lines, which seems to be the only other method then having A) an extremely dominant defense, B) drafting a generational talent.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

McGinn's final mock which is usually amongst the most accurate. Trubs #1.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/857429880316801025

There's literally no way the Steelers take a WR in the 1st round. They have consistently hit big on WR in rounds 3-6 going back to '99. In fact, if this pick isn't a linebacker, cornerback or hybrid safety, I'd be shocked. Unless, of course if OJ Howard or Njoku fall to 30, which they won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

If Barnett makes it out of the first round I will be blown away

Titans took him 2 picks ago

• Locked thread