Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Doltos posted:

Chad Kelly was the top dog going in but is playing himself out of the first day. Looks the part and throws a really nice ball but makes a ton of really boneheaded mistakes. Shotgun only QB with questionable ability to throw under pressure. Also might get himself hurt one day with how he runs the ball.

Funny you mention that, he just tore his ACL and meniscus so he'll miss the Combine and probably not be ready in time for training camp. Dude's stock is in the tank right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pungry posted:

Is Jake Browning not expected to enter the draft this year, or is he actually a bad quarterback?

He's not eligible until next year

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What incentive does Fournette have for going back to LSU? He already looks like his body is breaking down from the heavy workloads.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah He and Cook are gone

I approve of this username change BTW

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mitch Tribusky is the most obvious first-round trap since EJ Manuel

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As much as I hope otherwise, I seriously doubt anything will come of this. Mixon will do his sob-story redemption tour at the Combine, scouts and media will be like "well he made a mistake but this kid's a heckuva football player!" and the victim will turn off the TV around the time he goes on stage and hugs Goodell.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mitch Trubisky is a terrible football name. He belongs in a Wes Anderson movie, not on the field.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
OK, let's go over the QBs and find out who has the best football names. I'll just go through the top 10 as ranked here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/QB

Mitch Trubisky -- As mentioned before, garbage-tier name. Worse than Blake Bortles. F

DeShone Kizer -- I like the last name. Rolls off the tongue with force. Lots of potential for "Kaiser" puns if you're a history nerd. A-

Deshaun Watson -- Kinda generic, but perfectly serviceable. It at least sells the idea of an exciting, dynamic athlete. B+

Brad Kayaa -- I should like this more, but the surname is confusing at first glance. Is it pronounced KAY-a? Kay-AA? Either way, the first name ruins it for me. "Brad" is an accountant name, not a QB name. C

Mason Rudolph -- Total goober name, but not as offensive as Mitch Trubisky. D

Chad Kelly -- I have never met a likable person named "Chad." Not the kind of name you want as the face of your franchise. Poor effort IMO. D-

Davis Webb -- This isn't a QB name, it's a name for a fifth-string wide receiver who only plays special teams. D

Nathan Peterman -- Now we're talking. I'm iffy about the first name, but "Peterman" is the kind of weird-but-memorable name you want from your QB. B

C.J. Beathard -- An abbreviated name! We don't see that from QBs often. Then again, the last two abbreviated names (EJ Manuel, AJ McCarron) haven't fared well. Bodes poorly for his NFL career. C

Joshua Dobbs -- I got nothing. This may as well be a Madden-generated name. C-

In short, this QB class is as lacking in good names as it is in talent.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Doltos posted:

Ugh this is why I have to do this every year. You got this all backwards.

The strongest name this year belongs to Bart Houston of Wisconsin. The runner ups are Mason Rudolph, Chad Kelly, Brady Gustafson, and an honorable mention to Brad Kaaya. It's tough having a vowel last name as a QB if you're not Italian but Mariota is bucking the recent trends. Kizer is a Brown's tier name and Watson is completely underwhelming with Deshaun as the pairing.

Edit: I forgot Gunner Kiel but so did most of the nation

Any particular reason why you like Mason Rudolph? That name just does nothing for me at first glance. I'll give you Chad Kelly since that's simple and easy to remember, but the "Chad" name gives me douche chills. We'll have to agree to disagree on Kizer.

At least we can agree that Gunner Kiel is a loving pro-tier QB name.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was Frostee Rucker any good?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You'd think after Drew Brees and Russell Wilson blew up NFL scouts would be like "huh, maybe QB height isn't the end-all-be-all."

Then Brock Osweiler gets $72 million and Christian Hackenberg goes in the second round and you realize NFL scouts are just really loving stuck in their ways.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I know this is a down year for LTs but is there anyone worth taking in the mid-to-late 20s?

Asking for a friend.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Derrick Henry only fell because there's a stigma about Alabama RBs. He's looked good this year, but I wouldn't blame teams for not wanting another Trent Richardson or T.J. Yeldon.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dr. Capco posted:

Last year was supposed to be a weak QB draft and Goff/ Wentz still went 1 and 2. I want the QB hype train to start up again.

I have a feeling Kizer will shoot up to No. 1 after the Combine even though I'm not totally sold on him at this point.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mitch Trubisky loving sucks, so of course the Bills will draft him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Doltos posted:

I still like Trubisky :shobon:

If he was just a second-round pick, or even late first-rounder who got a chance to sit and learn, there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash.

People talking him up as a top-5 pick and Week 1 starter is just ludicrous. It's Blake Bortles all over again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

a neat cape posted:

If the Seahawks could draft Cam Robinson that would be swell

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Saucer Crab posted:

Very good name, but pray he skips the combine.

Every single good WVU prospect lately has seemingly blown up some body part after being drafted, except for Karl Joseph who destroyed his in college instead and Geno who just got punched out.

Tavon Austin never got hurt, he just sucks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kap just negotiated an opt-out clause in his contract. He's gone.

If they think there's the right QB sitting there at No. 2 then they should probably go get him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If we can't get a decent OT in the first round then I'll settle for a decent CB

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Isn't Jonathan Stewart still pretty good? I know he's getting old and always hurt, but when I look at this Panthers roster RB feels like the 5th or 6th biggest need.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm watching the Shrine Game for some reason, and boy howdy this is some bad football. There's maybe a handful of draftable guys out of both rosters.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe they'll look better at the Combine, but man, this is the weakest QB crop I can remember in a long time. Godspeed to whatever team jumps on the Trubisky grenade in the top 5.

E: To be clear, there are a lot of QBs I find interesting this year, but only in the sense of "draft in the 2nd/3rd round and see what happens," not "take top-5 and stake your job on him."

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 27, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Senior Bowl QBs are utter trash

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd be pretty stoked if Cam Robinson fell to the Seahawks. Even if he's not a natural LT he'd still be a huge upgrade over George "literally hasn't played football since Pee-Wee" Fant and Garry "loving Dogshit" Gilliam at either tackle spot.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Leonard Fournette is also tall and carries his weight well. People are acting like he's Eddie Lacy 2.0 for some strange reason.

Nothing about his frame screams "fatty" to me :confused:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
John Ross loving owns

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What happened with Dalvin Cook? I thought he was having a pretty good Combine overall (or at least good enough to not hurt his stock), but then he poo poo the bed in the 3-cone and shuttle runs, and ended up with one of the lowest SPARQ scores among RBs. https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/rb/

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sidney no :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Paul4KOMOsports/status/840689738117869568

Yeah, he's not playing this year :smith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I will do some grandstanding and say that Mitchell Trubisky is poop from a butt with the worst name in this draft, and any team that takes him in the first round deserves what they get.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FizFashizzle posted:

If youre not excited to watch someone with these mechanics get blown up in the nfl i don't know what to tell you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FY0MdW3smM

I haven't watched much of Mahomes so far, but dear God that footwork :psyduck:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Budda Baker is super-underrated on this year's Best Football Name power rankings

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

a neat cape posted:

Not sure why people don't think Mccaffery will be good

I think the real concern among Panthers posters is that their O-line is a tire fire and drafting a RB (either Fournette or McCaffery, doesn't matter who) that high won't solve the underlying problem.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every mock draft in the world has the Seahawks taking Kevin King, which I'd be cool with.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who the gently caress wears JC Penney to their draft night? I'm taking him off my board if I see that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
E: Tweet got deleted but Deshaun's shoe game is on point tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope the Seahawks get Kevin King but they'll probably just trade down like they do every year :geno:

• Locked thread