Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All I can say is I'm glad the Packers aren't in a position to draft Garrett. It seems like DL, especially top-10 pick DL, tend to bust way more often than most other positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really hope the Packers don't draft DL in the first. Or in the second or third, either, ideally. Ted is not very good at drafting defensive linemen.

I wouldn't mind TJ Watt or one of these corners.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How often do players actually succeed when they shoot way up draft boards after having The Best Combine Workout Ever? Legit question, I don't follow the draft usually.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

Yep. Too high seems like a red flag too which makes sense considering you want to throw catchable balls with accuracy instead of just cannon blasts.

You also don't want to break your receivers' fingers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No more "raw" pass rushers for the Packers please they almost inevitably bust.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Because they are almost all undrafted dudes.

No, Ted loves drafting DL in the first three rounds and it rarely works out. Just from the last six drafts: Kenny Clark, Khyri Thornton, Datone Jones, Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy, Mike Neal (holy poo poo he was a second rounder?).

Perry had a fantastic 2016 but sure looked like he was going to bust in the four seasons prior to that.

In fact the scrap heap players tend to work out better. Mike Daniels was from the bottom of the fourth round, Jayrone Elliott was undrafted, Letroy Guion was a FA reclamation project.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wouldn't mind TJ Watt on the Packers at all. At worst he can be our new AJ Hawk and send a helmet flying once per game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've been hoping he climbs the Ravens' draft board because Taco Charlton is a jersey you buy day one.

It's really not. "Charlton" is a boring rear end name to plaster across your back shoulder.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The NCAA could just put a rule in place that screws college players. Just put in a clause that if you're on scholarship you're required to play all games you're able. It's not like they have any problem exploiting them as is.

or what, they lose their scholarship? This doesn't really address the "problem" of players deciding to sit out once they think they've shown enough to be drafted.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some of you draft nerds might find this interesting: http://www.domeafavre.com/2017/03/24/packers-big-board-2017/

quote:

Here is how the board was made:

I made a master list of every player drafted by the Packers since 2005, the first year Ted Thompson drafted a team for Green Bay. This list was sorted into position groups. This is the position the drafted player ended up playing, not what position they played in college. For example, Korey Hall is listed as a FB, even though he played LB in college.

Averages, Minimum, and Maximum values were calculated from the players’ combine measurables. I needed consistency in my numbers, so I only used information from the combine instead of pro days, which could be unreliable. These averages for each position were then applied to the numbers from the 2017 draft class.

Immediately removed all players that were over or under certain minimums or maximums. Ted Thompson has proven that he only drafts players with certain base measurables. For example, I removed every cornerback under 5’11, because Thompson hasn’t ever drafted a CB that is shorter than 5’11.

The drills were then evenly weighted and combined to make an aggregate.

The aggregate was created by taking the difference between the players’ scores and the Packers’ average score for that position. If the players’ score is better than the average, then score is a negative value and vice versa.

The farther the score is from 0, the farther the players’ measurables are from the packers norm.

Negative numbers are considered “better,” as they are under the average score for that position.

Some drills were omitted completely as they were deemed not needed (bench press for CB’s was one example.)

Players were placed in rounds based on their projections from nfldraftscout.com

The link is for the Packers, but I imagine other teams with similarly long histories at GM could do something like this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

40 times are barely meaningful, live game speed is what matters

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheFlyingLlama posted:

what the NFL needs is an actual developmental league where they can train QBs to do what the NFL needs them to do without the pressure of having to actually win real NFL games.

Good thing they shut down NFL Europe!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alaois posted:

garrett fugazi

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You know when everyone goes "Can't miss prospect!! Ignore these flaws!!" and it probably means they're a bust, especially if they're DL or QB?

All these pundits and scouts are going "Kizer is a bust!! Ignore his strengths!!" and I think he's probably gonna be successful.

I'm not quite sure whether this means I'm being contrarian, or if it's because I've seen too many top 10 Can't-Miss guys end up busting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Urgh

quote:

• Whither Joe Mixon? I’m hearing the Oklahoma running back, who had the 2014 incident of punching a female student in the face, has garnered the most interest from Cincinnati, Minnesota, Green Bay and Jacksonville. I won’t be surprised to see the Bengals take Mixon with the 41st overall pick. Owner Mike Brown has taken chances in the past on players with off-field issues, leaving it to the coaching staff to keep those players in line.

Ted will occasionally take a shot on players with troubled pasts but I'm not comfortable with him doing it for an aggressive and violent person.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Would be totally cool with TJ Watt to the Packers and yes I know how homer this opinion is

Perry and Watt on EDGE and Clay on roamer would be pretty great

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mike Sherman tried to scout and coach at the same time and it didn't work out too well.

How many successful GM/coaches have there been since realignment? Belichick and...?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just want TJ Watt on the Packers, I don't care if he ends up closer to AJ Hawk than Clay Matthews

I'm really tired of Ted trying to draft defensive linemen

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jasoncolebr/status/857573931028549633

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/857608487932760065

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/3/29/14869968/nfl-draft-2017-best-names-jake-butt-raekwon-mcmillan

code:
QB	Gunner Kiel		Cincinnati
RB	Shock Linwood		Baylor
WR	Speedy Noil		Texas A&M
WR	Bug Howard		North Carolina
WR	Kermit Whitfield	Florida State
        who'll be the NFL's first Kermit since the '70s. Think of the memes!!!
TE	Jake Butt		Michigan
OT	Max Rich		Harvard
OT	Justin Senior		Mississippi State
        indeed a redshirt senior
OG	Forrest Lamp		Western Kentucky
OG	Damien Mama		USC
C	None have fitting names. Air Force S Weston Steelhammer will just have to bulk up.	
DE	Taco Charlton		Michigan
        who tried not to like tacos (because of his nickname), but succumbed
DE	Gimel President		Illinois
DT	Dee Liner		Arkansas State
        who is a D liner
DT	Chunky Clements		Illinois
LB	Raekwon McMillan	Ohio State
LB	Ironhead Gallon		Georgia Southern
CB	Corn Elder		Miami
        who was offered by the Cornhuskers and later had one of his best games against them
CB	Will Likely		Maryland
        who goes by William these days
S	Money Hunter		Arkansas State
S	Budda Baker		Washington
S	Fish Smithson		Kansas
K	Chris Blewitt		Pitt
P	Alex Boy		Nevada

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://deadspin.com/ok-the-nfl-draft-has-gone-too-far-481471464

quote:

OK, The NFL Draft Has Gone Too Far

This is currently happening outside Radio City Music Hall, where the NFL draft will be starting shortly. These guys are carrying stupid football hats in glass cases like each one of them is the loving Hope Diamond, and that is just so stupid. Just look at them, smugly posing for photos and walking down a red carpet as if they are part of some kind of sacred ritual and not just a concocted spectacle meant to boost weeknight business at Hooters restaurants across the country. I hate this picture. This picture is dumb.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/857672210898718725

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh god NFL Network is doing a twitter feed. I don't want to see the unfiltered opinions of gormless idiots.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kiimo posted:

With the way Chiefs fans are partying tonight you'd think we won a playoff game

Give it time

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/857974622486188032

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

weird Asian candy posted:

Saw this earlier. idgi

I don't get it either. There's really no value in getting Kizer, since there's already two years of development with Hundley. Either this is the BPA mentality surfacing again like it did in 2005, or the team really has no faith in Hundley and is willing to spend their top pick on a backup.

The Packers also aren't generally a front office that plays the rumor/smokescreen game so I don't think this is just Ted trying to fool another team who wants Kizer into trading up.

Kizer is a very young 21 years old (January birthday) so if he sits for 3-4 seasons he'd be still young for a franchise quarterback if the long-term plan is to replace Rodgers with Kizer.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 28, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not sure about Hundley, but with QBs playing into their late 30s these days it seems like it would be a huge reach considering they have zero secondary atm.

The Packers secondary is actually better than it seemed in 2016, a terrible rash of injuries and two highly-drafted corners going through a sophomore slump meant that the secondary vastly underperformed. I don't think the short-term solution is drafting another corner who will need 2-3 seasons of development.

Not that I'm saying that Kizer makes sense over drafting another position, mind you.

Rodgers is 33, but with 3 fewer years of NFL physical abuse on his frame compared to other 33-year-old quarterbacks. He can play five more seasons easily.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh ok. I thought the secondary was pretty decimated and that was their #1 need. What is their #1 need? I know it's aint a QB!

Linebacker, either a really quality inside linebacker, or someone who can play off the edge so Clay Matthews can go back to roaming all over the field.

Sam Shields getting his head unscrewed really wrecked the secondary and caused a lot of knock-on effects. I think Randall/Rollins will perform better this season and House should provide enough baseline stability for the rest of the secondary to operate. HHCD is still one of the better safeties in the league.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OSheaman posted:

The Packers secondary is a loving tire fire and CB is absolutely their #1 need. Randall could potentially return to form if he gets his head on straight but Rollins is too slow to be a good outside guy and the number 3 CB right now is the used corpse of Davon House. They won't do poo poo unless they get an actual #1 CB. They also need a pass rusher so badly it hurts, a good RB, and a starting OG.

Davon House will be 28 this season, hardly a corpse. You don't think Randall can be a #1?

We signed Jahri Evans earlier this week, not so sure a starting OG is a pressing need tonight. Ted will probably pick up a guard or tackle tomorrow, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

John Lynch owns and it'll be funny when the NFL eventually employs spies because the stakes have become so high

Bill Belichick was way ahead of his time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Perine and Biegel today please Ted.

• Locked thread