Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the first QB off the board this year is Kizer. Most NFL ready out of the big bodied QBs and a bunch of coaches probably believe they can mold him. Then probably Trubisky. I just don't see Watson going that high but watch me eat crow when some franchise is dumb as gently caress with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I bet you could build a semi-decent mock if you tracked all the player visits. I know that the Giants almost exclusively pick guys they had in for a visit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

corn on the cop posted:

The Giants are one of the easier teams to peg because they always tip their loving hand to their beat writers several days prior.

We knew about the Eli Apple rumors a week before the draft but I was in complete denial

Also, for instance, our dumb rear end GM has pretty much let everyone know we're targeting Zach Cunningham.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 9, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hope Garrett's one of those guys who completely gets thrown off his game due to poo poo talk like Ryan Leaf

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really have no clue where any QB is going this draft. My gut keeps telling me Kaaya and Kizer are the two most legitimate QB prospects but watch Kaaya fall to the third and Kizer go as the third QB or something behind Webb and Watson.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrLogan posted:

Who has the best QB face this draft class?

The guy who looks most like a QB is Kizer. Trubisky is built like a LB and Watson just looks like a college QB. Kaaya is too straight cut, military brat looking. Davis Webb looks like he suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome and Mahomes face is built like a WR/annoying pickup basketball player. That leaves Nathan Peterman who, admittedly, does have the goonish face of a franchise QB. Kinda like Tebow and Luck having a child together.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

dont you loving dare cleveland

Trubisky is bad

Cleveland's in a really bad spot because they have one of those coaches who believes he can develop any offensive player and has a pretty good track record doing it. They also have Public Perception hanging over their head which means they can't make a smart pick like Fournette/Adams/Mike Williams because they're not a DE, OT, or a QB. I also imagine that they are going to have a tough time trading out too.

San Fran is in a similar situation but they have the luxury of not having the #1 pick this year.

Just a really tough draft, I don't envy being Cleveland right now... or ever.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just don't see Garrett as being that special. Like if I put him up against other top selected DEs recently (Bosa, Buckner, Clowney, Jordan, Ansah) he'd be somewhere in the middle of the pack and most definitely behind Clowney and Bosa. Still think he's a top 25 selection but #1 overall is ehh. I'd rather have Soloman Thomas or Jamal Adams if I was the Browns but holy gently caress would I catch unending poo poo as the GM who took a strong safety #1.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

We'll that didn't stop the Rams and Eagles from trading assloads of picks for the right to draft Goff and Wentz.

Goff and Wentz are much better than any QB in this draft right now.

I'm starting to notice Mayock is terrible at evaluating offensive skill positions and this is backed up by me just casually looking through his past rankings right now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656285/article/mike-mayocks-2016-nfl-draft-position-rankings-50
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488475/article/mike-mayocks-2015-nfl-draft-position-rankings-50
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346685/article/mike-mayocks-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/mike-mayock-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

2014 in particular is pretty damning.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Really? His WR list looks a little silly in retrospect but that top 5 was absolutely the consensus order heading into that draft. Obviously Beckham has a head start but I wouldn't be shocked if Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks, Benjamin is the correct order by the time all of their careers are finished.

e:Though I would for sure put Jarvis Landry ahead of Kelvin.

WR's are fine that year but look at his HB and QB rankings:

https://imgur.com/SKZYNft

Manziel is hilarious but Teddy behind Mettenberger and Jimmy G... lfuckingmao

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

So Garrett is basically Mario Williams. He'll be pretty good but wont exactly be a superstar.... Now that I think about it... Holy poo poo this is the 2006 draft all over again.

Nah Clowney and Williams are closer than Garrett is to them. Garrett's quicker and has great burst but gets swallowed up or stood up a lot. His strength comes through on turning the corner or jamming inside. Really good leverage DE.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Michael Corleone posted:

The Browns should NOT trade down from #1. They need to take Garret there. Then IF they believe Mitch is a FQB they can use all their seconds and other extra picks to move up and get him. The appeal of having all those future picks is to use them to move up for a QB next year, which is supposed to have much better QB's, but the same was said about this year last year so it is just a crap shoot. Depends how high up we would have to go, I don't mind giving 12, 2 seconds, and some late rounders, we would still have a full draft this year and next year. I don't know if Mitch is the guy, but if noted QB Whisperer Hue wants him, whatever, get the process started instead of waiting another year. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

This post inspired me to start hosting a radio call-in show

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I think people are generally afraid of his shoulder injuries. If they're legitimately thinking of dropping Cook just because of his combine performance then I've lost complete faith in NFL decision makers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Joe Mixon isn't even that good

I was watching draft analysis on the NFL network and they were calling him one of the best between the tackles guy in the draft. Mixon took almost every snap this year out of shotgun this year.

I'd still rather have him over Amara though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ragle posted:

I think Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer and Webb could all go first round
https://twitter.com/CalFootball/status/845438414572797952

I wanna know who tells these poor guys these things.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
List of invites:

No real surprises here except Dalvin Cook not getting an invite and Chidobe Awuzie getting one. Tested pretty great but will have problems sticking to #1s, more of a slot guy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The games faster than ever. QBs have to have elite reaction times and decision making to sniff what veteran QBs are doing. Luck is still one of if not the best QB prospects to ever come out in the NFL and he's only had two comparable seasons to veteran guys so far.

Defenses are insane now in the NFL. College usually shows athletic man coverage or JAG zone coverage due to the ineptitude of the amateur ranks. NFL defenses have guys intentionally take three steps back then two steps forward to match your timing route because the DC had him in the locker room studying tape for five hours.

Anyway point is you gotta give QBs a ton of time to develop now before you judge them and even after they bust it's pretty understandable since the position continues to be the hardest to play in the NFL.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/BR_DougFarrar/status/854714275444674560
Every single one of these quarterbacks is going to bust.

Peterman was getting a bunch of visits according to that reddit post. He's got the same game as Kaaya but faced less pressure all year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not having an obvious elite premier #1 QB sure does gently caress up the process doesn't it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kalli posted:

Funny thing about McCaffrey:

https://twitter.com/CMcCaffrey5/status/854742776273133568

Look at the TV, he sped the video up

McCaffrey's got a huge lower body but no upper body. Hard seeing guys like that stand out early on because they get destroyed in pass blocking. Still a top 50 talent and his run game is intriguing enough to warrant a top 25 selection.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OSheaman posted:

I guess that's mostly about Joe Mixon but I'm surprised at how many executives are saying he's off their board completely. I didn't think that many teams would have the stones.

EDIT: Oh duh here's the other one

McGinnmas is upon us!

Glad to see scouts aren't down on Cook. He's a superb one cut runner and tries real hard on every play. Will probably get blown up a lot on pass blocking and have early fumbling problems while he bulks up. Just worried about his shoulder and will probably be the RB who slides.

Those scout reviews on Mixon suck. He's not ADP and he gets blown up on pass blocking despite his size and technique. Still a hell of a threat out of the backfield though.

Alvin Kamara couldn't break ahead of Hurd or Yeldon. He's just not a very good runner.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sean10mm posted:

Doltos, who do you see as the most obvious examples of highly rated guys going into this draft who are doomed to failure?

Like Hackenberg levels? I think Peppers got the most irrational hype this year in college football but he's also a very good player. Any of the QBs can probably fall under the umbrella since they're all getting a lot of post-season process hype. Worst of the bunch is probably Deshaun Watson who I think is just Geno Smith. Same happy feet problems under pressure, same benefiting from talented WRs who spread the field, same accuracy issues because he can't mimic his good throwing motion throughout the game. Reuben Foster might be JAG and could also have injury issues. I don't like Malik Hooker. I think he's a great ball hawk but doesn't like contact. Also Ohio State's defense was consistently giving Conley, Lattimore, and Hooker easy tip up interceptions this year. Not necessarily a knock but they weren't exactly tested that hard this year against NFL talent. Locked down Godwin and Gesicki but then got beat up by Darboh and Butt. Then the bowl game happened.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lombardi dropped on The Ringer podcast that John Ross' medicals are terrible. So there's that.

So many prospects suffering from shoulder woes. He's a great talent too, way more multi-dimensional than just a speed guy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Doltos, who would you pick #1 since you're not a big fan of Garrett?

Leonard Fournette. I'm a sucker for RBs.

If I had to go defense and wasn't judged for it and the owner guaranteed my job safety, Jamal Adams. The cover 5 is getting more prevalent in the NFL and I believe SS's should be valued a lot higher than they are. I think Garrett's an okay first pick still it's just that the Browns are stuck in a pretty horrible situation.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Glumslinger posted:

One thing to mention about JuJu Smith-Schuster is that he was playing through recurring back spasms for a large chunk of last season. It affected him a lot out there, as well as Max Browne not being able to ever get him the ball

Him and Adoree were getting a ton of hype last year and JuJu was pretty much the #1 or #2 WR going into this year. I still think JuJu is a fantastic prospect and he's right there with Ross as a potential #1 on a team.

Michael Corleone posted:

I want Kizer now, not at 12 though. *throws this post at Hue*

I honestly think Kizer is the most prototypical QB in this group and probably the best bet to be a franchise QB but he just didn't produce and there's a ton of coaching question marks about him. Usually that means he's a 4th or 5th round QB in most drafts but this draft sucks so he's a potential #1 overall pick!!

Njoku grew up one town over from where I've lived for the past decade. He was their WR in HS and Cedar Grove destroyed D1North athletics while he was there. Apparently a super active kid that participated in everything and almost went to Ohio State to be a track guy. I know he's a backup but I think he's got the potential and the drive to be a premier TE, better than Howard.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bunch of goons had/have hard-ons for Kaaya.

I can't wait for Haslam to demand we take Kizer at 12 (or 1 goddamnit) because that description reeks of Johnny's personality. Let's face it that's all Flying Jimmy cares about.

It's me i'm the only one who has a hard on for Kaaya look how different I am than every other evaluator out there i have the secret formula

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

Also, Notre Dame QB's haven't been good in a while, therefore Kizer must stink, too!!"

That sounds like something a fan would say. It's so stupid and such a dumb, lazy approach to evaluating a player.

Yeah I take a lot of scouting with a grain of salt. For instance that Deshaun Watson blurb was raving about his leadership but kept glossing over how he throws terrible passes and makes boneheaded plays. Plus the three white WR comparison with Cooper Kupp.

But in all honesty if JuJu busts I'm ready to write off every future USC receiver from now until the end of time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sataere posted:

Is this QB class really deep compared to previous years, just lacking in overall top talent? I swear, I like this class more than last years, but I feel crazy because apparently I am the only one.

I get why people could love the top seven guys, but they all scare the gently caress out if me.

Bruce Arians commented that this was one of the best QB classes since 04. I'm just not seeing it.

This QB class just has too many question marks across the board. There's potential for franchise guys out there

mastershakeman posted:

the Watson stuff is weird because he had a ton of picks yet torched bamas defense in both times, so I dunno if he was just funslinging in the regular season or what because he looked incredible against a bunch of NFL prospects both times

Clemson's a recruiting power house since Dabo got there and he also has a ton of talent even from walk on guys like Renfrow. His offense this year was basically huck it up to Mike Williams or Leggett or throw a dart to Renfrow off a play action. Gallman's a lovely NFL back but he's still a huge guy and him and Feaster tired out defenses. I'm willing to write off Watson's production as a product of the system.

His mechanics are terrible too. He has flashes where he'll plant his feet and deliver a bullet but then it just seems he loses his muscle memory throughout the game. He'll make terrible off balance throws, have happy feet in the pocket, and just lose the ability to place the ball for long stretches of time. That just reeks of a second-third round QB that's going to have to sit for a while, not a future #1 overall pick. I could probably say the same of every QB this year too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

"I'm gonna rely on Tom Savage, the guy I hosed out of an entire season by placing him on IR too early to free up a roster spot"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Which lovely rear end mod hosed with my thread title and thread icon

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I can't think of a better way to throw away your money than trying to predict the NFL draft, especially when there's no QBs.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
FWIW the girl I know who had Jabrill Peppers live with her family said he smoked like all the time every day all day

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Conley should plummet because he's just not very good

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm a Temple homer for unknown reasons and Haason Reddick really needs to go to the right scheme for him to be good. He's a run and chase guy and not really a gap filler. If someone grabs him and turns him into Aaron Maybin imma be mad

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigass Moth posted:

The Browns are going to shock us all by selecting Deshone Kizer #1 overall.

I won't be that shocked

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watch there be a double whammy of the Panthers taking Mixon with their first and him exploding his rookie season just to piss off the most goons possible in this thread

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

weird Asian candy posted:

Another mock with Atlanta taking a CB in the first :rolleyes:

Yeah, after paying our top 2 corners we are going to add to our already crowded position. Stupid pick.

Eli Apple

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

with the first pick in the 2017 NFL draft the browns select

https://twitter.com/dailyloud/status/857424078633922562

I just fell in love

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
hey one of you collect every single rumor blurb from twitter and rotoworld for me please, I want to see how accurate people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Turns out thats Kelsey Plum from Washington, she's the #1 pick this year for the WNBA

• Locked thread