Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Cause you just won :(

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/leonard-cohen-dead-at-82-w449792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress, just after releasing a new record as well. drat.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
2016: The Year That Keeps On Givin'!

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
He was too old to cash in on. In my pool, 82 is like less than one point. Scott Weiland, last year, gave me an early Christmas present. I won the dead pool and with a very large lead this year, people are grabbing up poo poo like Bieber and Miley Cyrus, hoping to cash in. You gotta go for the slow roll, get a rock solid line of soon to die drug fuckups and former Jackass stars (protip: get Bam Margera - he's really good friends with my neighbor and I was out stocking the feeders for my goats he stared out at me from across the foggy meadow, all bloated and bleary eyed and said "unnghh" very like death rattleish if I must say so myself)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Harakiri Potter posted:

He was too old to cash in on. In my pool, 82 is like less than one point. Scott Weiland, last year, gave me an early Christmas present. I won the dead pool and with a very large lead this year, people are grabbing up poo poo like Bieber and Miley Cyrus, hoping to cash in. You gotta go for the slow roll, get a rock solid line of soon to die drug fuckups and former Jackass stars (protip: get Bam Margera - he's really good friends with my neighbor and I was out stocking the feeders for my goats he stared out at me from across the foggy meadow, all bloated and bleary eyed and said "unnghh" very like death rattleish if I must say so myself)

I was gonna gas this thread but your informative post on death pool strategy saved it, so grats I guess?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Harakiri Potter posted:

i know its a high risk bet but i'd put down jonny depp. you got 50/50 chance of suicide from public disgrace or drug overdose

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Harakiri Potter posted:

Just go watch old episodes of those rehab shows and pick people that are still off the wagon like Tom Sizemore.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

nigga crab pollock posted:

i know its a high risk bet but i'd put down jonny depp. you got 50/50 chance of suicide from public disgrace or drug overdose

Yeah, he's gotten tips from some of the greats, like Hunter Thompson and Keith Richards, so I think he's a high risk pick. Think of him as a WR3 non slot scrub in a very competitive 8 player league. Would you take Depp or go with Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi? al-Baghdadi is going to get JDAMed so hard lol his dental records might not be any good to forensics but we'll just have to pray a little.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Harakiri Potter posted:

Harakiri Potter posted:

Yeah, he's gotten tips from some of the greats, like Hunter Thompson and Keith Richards, so I think he's a high risk pick. Think of him as a WR3 non slot scrub in a very competitive 8 player league. Would you take Depp or go with Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi? al-Baghdadi is going to get JDAMed so hard lol his dental records might not be any good to forensics but we'll just have to pray a little.

wow this is brilliant

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OP you just need to relax

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

His version of "Hallelujah" is one of the 5 worst songs ever recorded.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

haljordan posted:

Jeff Buckley kinda redeemed it but that song has a curse on it apparently.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

haljordan posted:

Most things Cohen did that was made better by someone else taking it and turning it into something listenable.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Most things Cohen did that was made better by someone else taking it and turning it into something listenable.

The same is true about Bob Dylan.

Who is another worthless pick in the dead pool FWIW

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Harakiri Potter posted:

Jeff Buckley kinda redeemed it but that song has a curse on it apparently.

Jeff Buckley missed the point, that version sucks. I don't know how you can look at the lyrics of the song and not figure out that the hallelujahs are sarcastic, but he managed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Harakiri Potter posted:

The same is true about Bob Dylan.

Who is another worthless pick in the dead pool FWIW

I want to hear your logic on this because death pool strategy is a topic I didn't know I wanted to learn more about until now.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
Where does Snoop Dogg fall in the dead pool?

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
off the HIGH dive

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jeff Buckley missed the point, that version sucks. I don't know how you can look at the lyrics of the song and not figure out that the hallelujahs are sarcastic, but he managed.

The song is a big gooball of fake emotion and the only way to make it interesting is to have someone dumb enough to think it's real perform it that way, so that he becomes part of an unintentional joke, and then you get some real tragedy out of it.

Leonard Cohens original version is like a straight version of Mario Cantone singing about his own bodily waste

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I want to hear your logic on this because death pool strategy is a topic I didn't know I wanted to learn more about until now.

The best advice I can offer you is to read the tabloids and I mean, FREQUENTLY. Scott Baio is a good pick and so is Charlie Sheen and Suge Knight. Sometimes you have to bet your heart and pray like crazy that your pick croaks, like sometimes it's Pol Pot, sometimes its Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I think your religion has a lot to do with it. For example, Jesus wouldn't kill Mother Theresa (unless your Jesus is protestant) but he'd probably schwack Osama Bin Laden or Margaret Thatcher. So invoke divinity before you draft. Find out where your god or gods stand on the issues. Hope this helps.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
gonna be honest, I had no idea who Leonard Cohen was until yesterday

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dead pools and anal bleaching. Harakiri Potter, you are treasure trove of knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Harakiri Potter posted:

The best advice I can offer you is to read the tabloids and I mean, FREQUENTLY. Scott Baio is a good pick and so is Charlie Sheen and Suge Knight. Sometimes you have to bet your heart and pray like crazy that your pick croaks, like sometimes it's Pol Pot, sometimes its Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I think your religion has a lot to do with it. For example, Jesus wouldn't kill Mother Theresa (unless your Jesus is protestant) but he'd probably schwack Osama Bin Laden or Margaret Thatcher. So invoke divinity before you draft. Find out where your god or gods stand on the issues. Hope this helps.

I had no idea death pools were this complicated but I like it. thank you for enlightening me

• Locked thread