Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This LP is excellent and I am ecstatic that it exists. The Exile games were a big part of my childhood but Geneforge was a bit much for lil' me, and I doubt I could surmount the dated mechanics now.

I love the worlds Jeff Vogel creates so I'm really pumped to be able to finally see this one :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The sheer stupidity of the act of making Clawbugs affirms that going Magic Shaping this run was a Good Idea :stare:

Speaking of which, I am seriously looking forward to us getting whatever comes after Artila.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

mauman posted:

I can't help but feel you're missing the point.

I guess some people just don't want to look beyond their own noses. There are people who are willing to overlook such things (like me) if the gameplay/writing is strong enough, and there are those who are not. I can't help but feel that this blindingly obvious and I'm disappointed that people are annoyed or confused that there are those who think music would make the game stronger and possibly sell better.

Oh well I suppose.

I think I'm done with this debate, it's my opinion and I will stand by it.

Back to the game itself - Nearing the 3/4 mark I gotta say I've enjoyed my Agent run a lot more than my Shaper run. Just went through a series of areas that reminded me why large parties in this game can really SUCK. Can't wait to see how the LP deals with them.

Speaking of missing the point, that has never been in question during this conversation. The question was whether it would make the game stronger and sell better enough to justify the costs incurred by a one man dev team.

It's important to understand the actual question. Personally my stance is "no one is equipped to comment on that but Vogel himself" because we simply don't have the information to have a clear picture.

Edit: Welp I didn't scroll down far enough.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 29, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Maintain

This is about more than mere combat efficiency. Solution needs an anchor against the canisters, or else they'll rewrite everything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Man gently caress that dragon. I look forward to the day we put it in the ground. :catstare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

5 seems the most consistent with Solution's empathy, pragmatism, and overall awareness of the ethical flaws of each faction.

Teach them ALL a lesson for when we're Queen of this place :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Changing my vote to 1B because vdates reasoning is sound.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Glaahk and two Battle Alphas? Jesus christ :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

mauman posted:

YES. This is why voting for keep made me laugh a bit.

Also, voted :five: cuz this thread is awesome.

On the other hand, summoning as many 2 int fyoras as you can (but with enough essence left to cast necessary spells) is a good way to distract high threat targets while you take them down if you're an agent (hi Syros :downs:)

Remember, a lot of us voted Maintain for narrative reasons because POOL told us it would affect narration/choices down the road. Game mechanics were a distant consideration in that context for me I know.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

mauman posted:

And I'm aware of that, thank you.

I still think a cessation of existence would have been a kinder fate than a cruel and painful death.

The effect on the creations themselves was only one of the narrative factors to be concerned about. Solutions own mindset and the canisters was another.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I see no reason to not just call it what it is: Science Fantasy. Fiction that blends the genres is far from unheard of. Dragonriders of Pern is an easy example. Arguably Shannara is another.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It is true that most scifi examines some theme of what society is/was/could be due to technology.

It's why Star Wars is far more fantasy than scifi in the movies at least. The scifi trappings are just that, trappings for a human drama.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

They told us not to cross the streams but we didn't listen :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Sweet, more minions to create. I vote for us getting some clawbugs online next time there's a change in the ranks, because clickety clackety bugs are cute.

But on the other hand, Glaahks! They're part of our wheelhouse, Magic Shaping!

...I don't know if our sky high Magic Shaping actually meaningfully affects the strength of our Glaahks or if it's just the Create Glaahk ability but it seems like a good idea :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Glaahks, slay drayks

We haven't seen much of Glaahks and they seem like a good fit for us. Curiosity!

And seriously gently caress drayks. Creepy assholes.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 19, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Don't worry, we're almost to cryopups. :v: The challenge dungeon was a delicious bloodbath.

Hopefully comrade Glaahk acquitted his or her or itself well. :ohdear:

Feel free to throw my name in the pool while we're at it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

vdate posted:

roses are red
violets are blue
omae wa mo
shindeiru

You are a credit to the thread.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I've always been a bit confused by Necromancy/Undeath in the Geneforge games. Because it seems to waver between "THERE ARE ACTUAL GHOSTS AND poo poo AND THEY'RE ANGRY" and "oh wait lol its just ADVANCED MAGIC, these are actually still alive and in awful pain, bet u feel bad now."

Is it ever actually confirmed whether there's any REAL undeath?

According to what we saw a couple updates ago, it's the latter.

That is, if the present day Shapers experiments with necromancy at all resembled the old Shapers' methods anyway. And they probably did.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have to hesitantly agree. There's really no putting the Shaping genie back in the bottle at this point short of genociding the Shapers and even then you're only just delaying the inevitable. Someone WILL rebuild their work sooner or later.

So control seems the only viable path forward. How to best do that on the other hand...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Glaahks seem to be faring way better than any other meatshield we've tried. That's fairly impressive in itself.

How is that paralyzing poison their description mentions? Useful? Not useful? I'd guess it didn't work on spooky ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm impressed. Our motley band of Chthonian magic shaping minions held up really quite well against what was obviously a hellish endurance match.

• Locked thread