Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is a goddamn fascinating setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Solution's mixture of disbelief that the serviles can actually act like people and her genuine love and care for her creations is really compelling for a character.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I couldn't resist buying these at the price offered. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get through them myself, but this LP is good enough that I at least want to give it a try.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Our creations develop personalities and the ability to be happy as we keep them around?

You put that in solely to make it hurt more that we might have to reabsorb and rebuild them, didn't you?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

It's neat that you can also learn by... y'know, learning.

The whole bit about a book being the grave-good of every Shaper is really cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vdate posted:

My point precisely. With that in mind, 'gently caress the Shapers' becomes a more attractive option, is all I'm saying.

I'm fairly sure caution is actually a good trait in people who shape life and death and who could easily make a crazy pandemic if they wished.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clawbugs seem like one of those things where, when the person who made them made them, they affirmed multiple times 'Yes, these are good ideas that will only lead to prosperity.' because they seem like a monumentally bad idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clawbugs: At least they aren't Chryssalids.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dude is really into trying to get those tools to breed for him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maintain them

One should remember where they've been, if they're going to ever figure out where to go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, uh, Syro's another example of a place where a Shaper sat down and was like 'I'm gonna make a dragon and it's going to be fully sentient and eat the essence of life, this is a good plan that leads to prosperity and happiness.'

Think about how dumb you sound now, ancient Shaper who invented rear end in a top hat life-eating dragons. Real dumb.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, you know, making the hell dragon viable and able to breed is pretty clearly crossing the foolishness/hubris line.

If it was bad for Clawbugs it was bad for hell dragons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1B

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Our poor minions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, Fyora still doin' work.

Good little lizards. Good guys.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Remember, a lot of us voted Maintain for narrative reasons because POOL told us it would affect narration/choices down the road. Game mechanics were a distant consideration in that context for me I know.

Same here. It seemed in character for Solution as she'd been so far and as long as it wasn't going to make the game a miserable grind, it's fine for a protagonist to make mistakes.

It's still kind of her first day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Learning the Outsider language seems pretty essential.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, the fact that Trajkov stopped using the Canisters suddenly while studying the Geneforge, uh, worries me. A lot. He doesn't sound like the kind of guy to easily give up a source of power and I fear he discovered a terrible cost that awaits Solution.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

arms fulla fyoras with they claws decked in bling

that's how we roll

So far the thread has voted against murder, so unless you all clamor to take the killing question back to the vote, we will be stealing everything that's not nailed down hard enough and bailing.

As it should be.

And now we burgle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I think the thing that makes the story so good is that no-one seems to be a throwaway. The Sholai are intelligent and interesting people who stumbled on something they were unprepared for and fractured. The servile sects have internal logic and culture that makes sense. Even Rydell isn't quite as a cynical (though he's still devious and ruthless) as he seems at first.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Hot drat. :stare:

I had pretty much resigned myself to the Obeyers being the Cynical Theocratic Dictatorship thing, but then your command options and that diary.

Based on how interaction in Avernum went, I'm guessing that was more the game's text than yours, but either way, I can actually feel a bit for that scheming bastard.

Considering the things Rydell has done in the name of his religion and what he sees as his duty, it makes a lot of sense he yearns (secretly, and knowing why it would be a bad idea) to meet his God and be told what he did was right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vdate posted:

There's something that confuses me about all this. If what we've heard and/or inferred is true, the Geneforge is a thing of unimaginable power, and probably the reason why Sucia was Barred. It's just... why? If it's too dangerous to use, the Shapers would have destroyed it, and if it was OK to use, it'd still be in use, and if the side effects were a problem, they'd be doing research on how to mitigate it (which I kind of assume would involve the thing itself). But they've done none of the above - why?

The Shapers on the island were really, REALLY keen to save their research, as noted by the multiple 'I wish to leave behind my research even if these small minded fools fear it!' tomes we've found. I wonder if they didn't give a false, different reason the island had to be barred, evacuated as fast as possible, and planned (originally) to come back later and resume their work.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suspect actually destroying knowledge completely rather than just barring it might also be taboo, considering how highly they value scholarship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mauman posted:

this game in not really a fantasy genre but a sci-fi genre.

It always felt this way, with how much more the Shapers seem like scientists who merely use magic as their medium rather than mystics. Magic seems really 'technologized' here, with predictable results, the ability to do large scale manufacture, etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glad to see this again!

Little worried healing potions are ceasing to work on Solution.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Fyoras for life!

So goddamn adorable.

I am sad for the loss of our Fyora.

No-one weeps for creepy Vlish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dunno but this thread certainly deserves it!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Our puppies are dead! :smith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh. I had been thinking to myself that the natives had perhaps been the predecessors of the serviles, not the shapers.

Maybe they still were, considering.

Let's see some Glaahks, slay the Drayks, and track down Goettsch!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the Shapers are very, very clearly uncomfortable with actually destroying knowledge. Making it require extensive qualification to see is one thing, but destroying it seems like a sacrilege to their culture.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Solution's pets survive because she's trying so drat hard to keep them alive. I imagine you've focused a little more on not letting them be expendable than you normally would in a run.

Suicia is a terrifying puzzle, but hopefully she can be its Solution.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the touch that he was a mediocre middle manager likely at the end of his career who has gone full on 'I AM THE OVERMAN!" due to his addiction, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

I wonder what the Sholai are thinking of doing. Returning home as god-kings? Living it up here? Going space?

MORE CANISTERS.

MORRRRRRRE

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hope you feel better soon.

And hope your trip goes well!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glad you're back and feeling better! We've missed it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C and let's also screw Goettsch when the time comes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just don't trust his word in the slightest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the end, with all we have learned of the Canisters, and what it did to Trajkov (ironic that he talks of how foolish the others are to want more power while he grasps mightily at any chance for it himself), we can still turn away from this path. Destroy it, C

And leaving a mad shaper who believes he is king of all things to rule the island seems a poor idea. B, defeat Goettsch

This island was barred for a reason.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well. That went well for Solution! Good work, Solution.

This has been fantastic, thank you for writing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general, pretty much every group you meet in Geneforge seems to have plenty of texture to them.

• Locked thread