Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

PurpleXVI posted:

An Artila Skin Tunic sounds like a remarkably gross thing. :v:

Think of it as a slightly more fantastic snake skin jacket and you'll be good to go :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I've missed a fair amount.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that the mines was the first location of my original shaper playthrough where I started to appreciate the virtues of a smaller party.

It will only get worse :negative:

Also, congrats on going Gold, you deserve it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Good ole' magical radiation.

Guess we know why half of the island is a wasteland now :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Maugrim posted:

Actually, we found out in the previous update that half the island is a wasteland because of the Shaper ancestors' uncontrolled, haphazard shaping attempts. I get the impression the South Workshop just compounds this, stacking poison on existing poison in a more local area.

Yeah, I know...

Though I have a feeling that this place is the worst of the Shaper's crimes here. This is poo poo is basically Chernobyl levels of irresponsibility :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 24, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I agree with you on most points.

The Shapers (the main ones, not the radicals like the island ones) USUALLY do the best job of controlling shaper magic, and keep it in check (NOT EASY). They just happen to be massive dicks.

Sometimes though, being massive dicks just happens to save the day when it comes to the potential disasters that shaping magic could unfold. Perhaps there's a better way, but who knows.

That being said, the power plant was one HELL of a gently caress-up.

Also, you shouldn't need to put such a disclaimer up like that. If somebody is going to take offense over discussion of a work of fiction, they're probably pretty stupid to begin with.

Though I understand why you wrote it...people are so easily upset nowadays over such stupid things

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 25, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have to hesitantly agree. There's really no putting the Shaping genie back in the bottle at this point short of genociding the Shapers and even then you're only just delaying the inevitable. Someone WILL rebuild their work sooner or later.

So control seems the only viable path forward. How to best do that on the other hand...

I think the only really "correct" (correct as in safest, definitely not moral) choice would have been to GLASS the whole loving island and everybody on it.

Oh yeah, and by everybody I mean everybody - shapers, creations, the janitorial staff - EVERYBODY.

Now finding a moral (and safe) choice to this whole situation.....

Tricky.

You are definitely right that somebody would eventually figure out the geneforge again, but it would have been from scratch rather than somebody literally stumbling onto the drat thing. Could have taken thousands of years.

This whole situation is seriously stupid, it's basically the equivalent of burying your worst weapon of mass destruction in a little known ditch just outside your border, and being shocked when someone stumbles upon it and nukes you back to the stone-age.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the irony of the situation is that the Shapers weren't big enough dicks when it came to dealing with this mess. If they had gone full :dong: this mess would never have happened (or at least it wouldn't have happened for a VERY long time).

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 25, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Also the Shapers are very, very clearly uncomfortable with actually destroying knowledge. Making it require extensive qualification to see is one thing, but destroying it seems like a sacrilege to their culture.

and THAT is the primary problem with Shapers

They are a very proud people. If they had a bit more humility and the ability to let things truly go a lot of the conflicts in this series would not have happened.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Loner agents also do very well if you know how to game the combat system.

Just don't get cornered :downs:

But yeah, we're being awfully ballsy to do the shaper crypt this early.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

If I recall correctly, there's enough to activate all of the minds.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You will always be short one mind nutrient jar.

which means I've always managed to miss one mind...

That's rather funny :v:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

All things considered I kinda think you should of left Syros alive.....

For reasons :v:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

vdate posted:

Solution loves the smell of fyoras in the morning!

Because Shapers are so noodly, I ended up making my own pile of loot. IIRC it ended up being mostly batons, thorns, and unique gear; I opted to up strength a bunch and cart the pods and spores around with me. I used Ellrah's Keep's entry hall as the storage grounds, though, because apparently I thought keeping stuff in an accessible central wilderness area seemed weird.

Got back into Geneforge 2. Playing as a Guardian or an Agent seems an interesting prospect, yet I can't help but feel like not playing a Shaper goes against the spirit of a series called Geneforge, where making your own army of horrible killbeasts is one of the central unique game mechanics.

A - they're all shapers. My agent in GF 1 definitely used shaping, just in a different manner than Solution. I actually was always annoyed that one of the classes was CALLED shapers. They should have called it Summoners or something else so this wouldn't be an issue.

B - Play a Guardian in GF 2, it's the only time that melee is actually good (as in really, unbelievably stupid good). Only time that poor class gets to shine at all :negative:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I dont know posted:

The common complaint was that Guardians were unintentionally a challenge class in the first one, and he over corrected. Even then, they are still outshined at it by Agents.

It's a close call in GF 2. I think early on the agents have the advantage, but as you go on and on, the guardians shoot up radically in power. Parry is just that drat good.

Also, yeah, researchers would have been a much better name for the Shaper class.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

edit: whoopsie....

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Luck affects hit, evasion, armor, and somewhat affects initiative. It's worth maxing out.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Three spots come to mind; luck with Dig, mechanics with Flig at Winding Road, and leadership with Learned Halm where Rhaklus the cryodrayk lives. You can only train with Halm if you do t have a Taker amulet. Anyway, you can spend your hard earned gold with them to max those abilities.

You can train with Halm even with the taker amulet as long as you talk to him BEFORE you join the takers.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

dont be mean to me posted:

First thing that came to mind. Don't know if it strictly applies to Trajkov, but he did put himself through an Age-of-Sail expedition across an ocean equivalent to the Pacific without really knowing what was out there except 'more land, probably', and there's not a lot of mindsets that deal with that well without an innate affinity for being in charge and having power of life and death over one's subordinates.

Trajkov is a complicated fellow, though such words could be used to describe most of the faction leaders in this series. :v:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 28, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Oh hey, an update....

sweet :getin:

Also, glad you're feeling better.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

C

Kill em all and use the Geneforge....

It's what our Awakened buddies would want.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

berryjon posted:

I see the images, no problem.

The older posts aren't working.

The newest one is.

Something has gone terribly wrong it seems. :kingsley:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The lpix.org security certificate expired, so any images you didn't load or have cached beforehand won't appear. :sun:

Oh, then I guess they're all gone. I can still read the ghost of the last one though :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

So yeah....

Good job everyone, by not using the Geneforge we got a bad ending for our Awakened buddies.

Hope yer happy :colbert:

Best ending is hilariously enough siding with Trajkov, YMMV. And yes, the Geneforge ending would have actually been a good ending for the Awakened.

Though to be fair the ending we picked IS the cannon ending (or as close to cannon as one can get, since no G1 ending entirely matches up with the sequels), which means we should dive straight into G2 :downs:

A fun bit about the Geneforge ending - You get some interesting reactions going back to the various important npcs. The Obeyers' in particular is VERY interesting.

The talk in question made me respect the Obeyers, even if I don't entirely agree with their philosophy.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 21, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We will definitely see all that and more. :murder: Just taking a brief break while I kick work back into shape.

Oh, you want me to remove my post?

eh, I'll edit it just in case if you want it to be a surprise.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I don't know what the outcome you're talking about is, but to be fair, I think that "respected but kinda scary Shaper" makes for more interesting future story anyway.

Then prepare to be disappointed if Pool ever starts a G2 LP.

Unless SHE radically changes the story I suppose.

Edit - Whoops.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Like I was hinting at earlier, Rydell get's my respect for having the MASSIVE stones to actually stand up to the player after using the Geneforge so I let him live (and Ellrah lost a few points for making GBS threads his pants in my presence).

Also, this was my first ending because ULTIMATE POWER!!!!! :hellyeah:

To put how much your stats go up in perspective, my AGENT was able to create a victory fleet of 7 Drakes and have enough essence leftover to cover all of her spell casting needs as I went and destroyed ever last Sholai (not counting the rebel Sholai) and Taker.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 5, 2017

• Locked thread