Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't Grambling's entire athletic department in shambles or something?

I assume it's at least slightly better now but Grambling's football team refused to play one or two games 3 years ago because of the conditions they were forced to play in (moldy equipment, improperly cleaned uniforms, moldy weight room. Basically mold, mildew and MRSA everywhere + 17 hour bus trips to away games, etc). The school was and I'm sure is broke as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In the least surprising news of the year, the Braggin' Rights is some pretty bad basketball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Isaiah Briscoe gets second triple double of UK's season, third in school history.

Seriously? That's pretty stunning that there have only been three. Like stunning enough that I have a hard time believing that's correct.

e: Huh, apparently that is correct. That is absolutely insane considering how many amazing players Kentucky has had over the course of their history.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Sometimes when you put two bums in the ring you end up with a great fight.

This is certainly not a great game, but LSU/Mizzou is actually fun to watch somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

This is certainly not a great game, but LSU/Mizzou is actually fun to watch somehow.

In case anyone was wondering this lasted right up until I posted about it. It kinda bogged down at the end of the first half for both teams and now...well I guess it's fun to watch if you're an LSU fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, Missouri and Georgia got into it going into the locker rooms at halftime. Like both teams pushing and stuff, then a Georgia and Missouri assistant coach got into it with each other.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For a team that can't shoot for poo poo Mizzou absolutely loves to throw up NBA threes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

b-minus1 posted:

If this were any other school with a competent athletics department, Anderson have already been fired. There is literally no upside to waiting until the end of the season to fire him. He needs to be gone now.

To be fair I don't know what the downside is either. Like...do you want one of these assistants running the team long term? Is there someone without a job that you want to start the process of acquiring right now?

Kim's fired the second the season is over, that's good enough. Well it's not good enough, it should have happened....well he never should have been hired. But it's fine now that we're at this point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Watching Missouri basketball games has made me realize that announcers are completely incapable of not praising coaches.

Directly after Bama misses a dunk, gets an offensive rebound and Mizzou completely left the guy who missed the dunk alone so he could properly dunk it this time they for some reason thought it would be a good time to praise Kim Anderson. 'You really can't say enough about how this team keeps fighting,' and rattled off like a minute worth of poo poo Kim Anderson did in D2. Again, while they're losing by double digits to an ok but not super impressive Alabama team and on the way to a 5 win season unless they get super lucky in some game.

Talking about how young they are is big too, without mentioning that for some reason Kim Anderson has had an entire goddamned roster transfer away over his 3 years there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
OU just missed a free throw to beat WVU, headed to OT on ESPN2 if anyone's hanging around.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
WVU going down probably pretty much assures KU wins the big 12 again. I guess unless you believe in Baylor (why would you believe in Baylor?) at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Why is like every ISU game ungodly close.

To be fair it looks like OU is figuring some stuff out these last few games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How do teams not realize they have to foul so often?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Missouri has a lead with 7:00 left in the second half. For the first time in conference play I'm fairly sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Sort of interested to tune in to see how they gently caress it up

I mean they're just up one and trailed the whole half to this point, so Ole Miss probably just wakes up and plays better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Missouri is an historically bad three point shooting team, but has gone 50% from deep the last two games. And they still can't buy a win.

Today at least it's because of free throw shooting, they're 6-16 from the line.

Well they were 50% from 3 until they just missed three or four straight at the end of the game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well it's still technically a game somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
4 point loss at home to Kenpom #90! Improvement :woop:

:negative:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey Andichu or whoever might have been watching, how blatant was the technical for someone getting hit in the head in K State/WVU?

Happened to hear it on the KSU radio call of the game and they were like, incensed about how bad the call was. Personally affronted and whiny when the Mountaineers came back right after.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wish I had more time to watch college ball. Last year I watched nearly every ISU conference game. This year I've caught like two.

I've watched 5 Missouri conference games.

I disagree with your position vehemently.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RumbleFish posted:

worst game of the season on the road against Missouri tonight, but still managed to find a way to win by 10 points.

Mizzou has a way of making that happen.

For what it's worth Kim Anderson has been pretty ok against Frank Martin (1-3 coming into tonight with all the losses being single digits counts as pretty good by Kim's standards). Maybe partially some style thing in the matchup, although I have no idea what Missouri's style is beyond sucking. I didn't actually watch the game so I don't have any clue how it went down, just saw that stat earlier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Florida is just murdering Mizzou.

Also this glass of water I just poured myself is still wet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Does Florida still have that one armed kid? He ought to get in the game if so.

Holy poo poo they have a granny free throw shooter.

e: poo poo one armed guy left the team, I wanted to see him play :(

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 3, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

jesus christ Mizzou

They're so, so bad. I wish the Kentucky game was on the road just to see how badly they could lose to them.

Not that it's going to be a lot closer at home, but maybe a little.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sky Shadowing posted:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THEY WERE DOING A 30-FOR-30 ON THE XFL?

Hey, bonus for you since you only have to wait like 8 minutes to see it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

elentar posted:

Sadly they're not even close to the worst power-conference team, Oregon State fell off a drat cliff this year.

Jesus Christ. Unless I'm missing someone while scanning the bottom of the power 5 conferences by Kenpom right now goes

197: Missouri
200: Washington State
273: Oregon State

Holy poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ColdBlooded posted:

Trash Maryland fans chanting "You are ugly" at Isaac Haas.

What did I miss here? I mean it's not nice but on the surface it's not all that bad as fan chants go.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TBeats posted:

It didn't look egregious.

Yeah I hate to give him the benefit of the doubt but that looked like a regular foul.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mizzou off to a good start against Arkansas!

I remember back when I thought Arkansas was a sort of natural rival and them hiring Mike Anderson was a good spark for starting that rivalry. With the basketball team being what it is I'd feel sort of bad if they end up winning this game though (good news, they won't), Bielema is all that's holding my dislike of that school.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Here's where Missouri is falling apart after leading the whole game by ~12-15.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mizzou gonna...

Win? Maybe?

Going to have a chance to win at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean if they lose from here it's going to be impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
They tried to give it away by missing free throws but couldn't quite get it done.

I'm actually sort of happy for Kim. His job is beyond saving at this point so I don't have to worry about that, so it's just cool that he gets to feel good about something in his last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

You look like a moron when you do this.

I didn't even know that was a thing, what is the intended insult?

Although I'll note you didn't go to your normal "there are no Big 12 refs" response, so it appears to have gotten under your skin a little bit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

see you fuckers in the NIT

I remember when my team could reliably make the NIT. You don't miss things like that until they're gone.

Oh Jesus Christ I'm reminiscing about Frank Haith.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, Chris Beard hasn't held a job for more than one year since 2011? And some Texas Tech Senior transferred and followed him to every new place since 2012.

I guess that's one way to go through college.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Mizzou up at half, how bad is Vandy?

They've been...better since the Florida game. That's relative of course so I don't expect them to actually win this game or any other, but better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I had completely forgotten the Bryce Drew was Vandy's coach by the way.

And that shot he hit in the tourney will be 20 years old next year :corsair:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Missouri has a 2 game home winning streak. Watch out world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

What the gently caress Mizzou won by 20?

It took some doing to get there. Kornet, Vandy's 7 foot dude who can shoot, was wide open all night and managed to go something like 0-10 from 3. As a team they went 6-28 from deep which is more in line with what you'd expect to see from Mizzou. But instead today they went 9-19, with 3-3 from Puryear and 5-8 from Jordan Barnett (who, by the way, looks like he's pretty good after these last few games). Mizzou had 16 offensive rebounds to Purdue's 6 too. Basically a bunch of poo poo that might happen once all year happened.

quote:

I swear to god if they go like .500 the rest of the year which brings KA back I'm going to be pissed

This ship has sailed and you don't need to worry, barring something absolutely ridiculous like winning the SEC tournament. Kim is massively unpopular, the arena's pretty much empty every game, he's still lost those 11 or 12 or whatever ridiculous number of scholarship players in the last 3 years for no good reason, he's not the current AD's hire. Too many things working against him for him to have a realistic chance of saving his job, maybe if they run the table the rest of the way and win 2 games in the SEC tourney they might think about it for a minute, but that's absolutely not happening.

• Locked thread