Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

no_tears posted:

I still can’t get over the fact that the Costco closest to me has diesel at their pumps. Never seen a Costco offer it before

I am both jealous and not because the closest Costco to me is not close at all (nearly 30min each way) and doesn't have it. The only one around me that does is over an hour away.

But I am getting a much closer Costco in the next couple years so I'm slightly hopeful they'll put diesel pumps in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I know it's the middle of nowhere but I don't like that there aren't any Costcos between Palm Springs, CA and Prescott, AZ.

poo poo, call me surprised that Prescott has one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Walrus posted:

lol the guy on the right. gotta make sure you get the best one!

We've all been that guy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even with the extra work of checking out with a battery at Costco, it's worth it because you will never, ever have to deal with some pissed off AutoZone / O'Reilly employee insisting they need to charge your battery for an hour before they can warranty it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Scales don't, but I would wager that every item has some +/- tolerance built in on "this should weigh X" to account for production variance and how calibrated (or not) the scale is.

The more poo poo that's on the scale, the larger those error bars become, so either it yells at you to put the thing on the scale that is sitting on the loving scale already, or it decides you've put something there that doesn't actually exist or match what's scanned.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Interesting. They offer direct deposit on the Citi cash back rewards now. I’ll probably do that this time.

Probably got tired of people like me walking in and asking for them to cash it out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a box of envelopes I bought at Costco probably 18 years ago now.

It still looks completely full.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Super dependent on location.

FYI, Kaker has probably bought more tires at Costco than the rest of the thread combined, so take that advice as solid.

But agreed, overall their deals are good-but-not-great. Costco beats Discount only if you have the Costco Visa, the executive membership, and the tires are on some form of promotion ($150 off a set of 4, etc). Otherwise Discount usually comes out ahead, especially if you have their store card which usually has some form of rebate attached to it. I also drive by three Discounts on the way to Costco (for now) so that plays into it a bit.

Costco's battery pricing is unmatched anywhere else that I've seen, though. Their computer system is a bit dumb for batteries too. It says they don't have the battery for my Canyon (or seemingly anything else using an H8 AGM) but they had half a dozen of them sitting on the shelf when I walked in.

The real benefit on the batteries is the warranty service. You walk in with a battery you say is dead, they swap it. Every other place I've bought batteries from over the years wants to spend anywhere from ten minutes to a loving hour testing them first. One time they even looked up the battery I'd bought when I was still using my mom's membership and transferred it over to my own before exchanging it out. The only downside to Costco batteries is that if you're worried about needing a warranty exchange on the road, there are a lot fewer Costcos than there are Walmarts/Autozones/Oreilly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Inspector 34 posted:

Has Costco phased out their Kirkland Signature brand motor oil? Tigard, Or store didn't even have a bay for it and the next closest place had exactly 1 case with a sign saying, "This is the last one."

It was pretty great deal on 5w/30 synthetic, would be sorry to see it go. I didn't think to check the price there on the aisle and I think the receipt is long gone already.

I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't make the numbers work on it. At one point it was something like $30 for two five quart jugs which is cheap for any oil, let alone synthetic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Barry posted:

That's understandable but for 20 minutes (each way?) out of way driving that still doesn't make any sense to me

Agreed. I'll use Costco's pumps if I happen to be at one when I notice my tires are low because they're even easier to use than my own compressor, but that's about it. At the very least driving 20 minutes out of the way means you're airing up hot every time so you need to add at least a couple PSI.

The pumps you find at most gas stations are indeed absolute trash. Most of the ones I've seen don't even have a gauge, not even the lovely dipstick one that probably isn't accurate after being handled by every loving dipshit in a thirty mile radius.

Get a compressor at Costco.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

david_a posted:

I do. 4% on gas and 3% on restaurants (I think?) is pretty good. I also use it at CostCo. There was a Wirecutter article saying not to for min-maxing reasons but it’s my only Visa so whatever.

Outside of rotating-category cards (which I just can't be assed to deal with at all) I don't think anything beats the Costco card for gas, restaurants, and Costco itself. 1% on everything else is unexceptional and the fact that you only cash out said rewards once a year is both a blessing and a curse. You can get very close to min-maxing results with far less effort by pairing it with a card that does 1.5% on everything like a Chase Freedom or BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards. Use the Costco card anywhere you get 2% or better, use the other one everywhere else.

I only deal with other store cards if they do 5% back (Target/Amazon), and only for those stores.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Have any goons gotten these lights?

We're thinking of doing some exterior lighting around our pergola and then towards our back door. Reviews on the site and from videos around Youtube sound good but wanting a congregation perspective before pulling the trigger

PO of my house used a bunch of the old version of these with incandescents and they're fine. I did order a boatload of these bulbs to swap them over and the only problem seems to be that the actual LED element in the bulb is not particularly well bonded to the electrodes - I've had two or three die, all with an open-circuit failure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The winning move for Costco fuel is going when the fuel station is open but the store isn't, assuming it's actually near enough to do so. If you're a half hour from church (like I am now) then :rip:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

phosdex posted:

There is a flag or something that they can put on your account so they'll never ask again.

The true solution is to spend enough that the executive membership makes sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kntfkr posted:

the costco website was hosed up when i searched

y'all reckon i can get a 12v battery for a gen 2 prius at costco, it's where the costs go?

50/50, because on one hand it's apparently a battery pretty much only used by the Prius, on the other hand there are a fuckload of Priuses out there so maybe Costco carries it.

You can get to the battery site still at https://costco.interstatebatteries.com/ but don't bother because it's stupid. It says they don't carry the battery that I bought from Costco for my truck. The same battery they literally have at the bottom of the page talking about AGM. You'd be better off calling the tire center or just going in and looking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

yeah you would have to spend $500 a month to break even

Huh? It's $250/mo to break even so that your extra $60 in membership fees gets you a $60 reward check.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Absolutely, car batteries are one of the best bargains they have.

The only downside of getting a battery from Costco is that if it dies at an inconvenient time/place, there are far fewer Costcos than there are Walmarts or AutoZones, and they're open for shorter hours.

But the plus side is that legendary return policy / warranty. You show up with a battery, they replace it without dicking around with insisting on charging and testing it first.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bidet to you, sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmLy5HZznY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I got the 5x8 resin shed and it's fine. Far cheaper than lumber alone and nicer than the Rubbermaid one I have elsewhere.

Got my executive reward this week and managed to spend it thrice over tonight. PBUC

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a thing they do on occasion. The one by my old house was an old one where the building was still attached to the rest of the strip mall it was in, and it was both smaller and impossible to fit a gas station around.

They built a new one a mile down the road to solve all of those problems at once.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm the exact same distance (by time) from two Costcos. Unfortunately that time is drat near 30 minutes one-way.

We are getting one built much closer that will be right about 10 minutes away, and it's looking surprisingly close to done for something opening up in the fall. Probably the only construction project around here remotely close to hitting a deadline.

They've already got the pumps installed at the gas station and there's four in each line. I'm hoping that means they're putting in diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Not enough mint to be thin mint IMO.

Agreed. They're not bad* but they don't hit the same.

*I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the house who ate them and the bag is long since empty and gone sooooo