Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Scored 8 pounds of pork tenderloin for less than $14 last Thursday.

Cut it up, froze it all save two tender slices for that night's dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
The Manhattan Beach 'co took their steak game to a whole new level. Separate glassed in cooler with these dry aged darlin's:

Now I know EXACTLY what I'm doing for my birthday!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Wait they’re doing samples? During a loving pandemic? Customers yanking their loving masks down for half a potsticker all day in their faces... gently caress me my opinion of Costco just plummeted.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Fallom posted:

You have to take them out of the store to eat them

Well that makes me feel a little better.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gaius Marius posted:

Counter point. You aren't allowed to eat them on the store and they're providing a good income for a lot of people who need supplementary income right now.

My main concern is them forcing “minimum wage” folks to be forcibly exposed to the worst of the no maskers.

If the workers are protected then I’m glad folks who need the income are getting the income.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gaius Marius posted:

They are not minimum wage nor are they unprotected. Costco has put a gently caress load of money and effort into protecting it's employees and contractors.

That is fantastic. Sorry for my knee-jerk-ism.
I haven’t been to church since the depths of the most extreme measures months ago. I loaded up and have been chipping away at my frozen stores since then. There were no samples at that time and I feared the worst when I heard they had resumed.

It’s legitimately good to hear that Costco is taking care of their people. They have in the past but the now times are... weird.

Also, just because I mostly lurk this thread, I honestly do appreciate y’all calling out the good poo poo to pick up. It’s been a good ride.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Just like that bastard captain crunch...

Guilty as charged.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

fischtick posted:

https://www.jungborn.de/die-wurst-kabeltrommel-gut-kampen-545648/

Next year, instead of ham, I’d like the ‘Co to carry 3.5M of classy slim Jim on a roller/dispenser with refill!

Needs a little guillotine attachment to slice off a bit. Or just jam the end in your mouth and chaw down until the whole thing has unspooled into you.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Nice.

Say, do they have a house bourbon? I recall the spiced, rum, a scotch whiskey... but I can't remember seeing a bourbon.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gatts posted:

Not that I recall that was Kirkland branded but it could also be I glossed over it due to my regular shelf having sufficient. They did have a lot of bourbon options from Woodford Reserve, New Riff, Makers Mark and others.

If I search the Internet and google it does look like they have a7 year bourbon. They also have a Canadian style whiskey

Ah, thanks. Trying to think up a shopping list for the most efficient traversal. I don't want to spend any more time inside than absolutely required.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Martman posted:

But did you pick up the $1.50 medication from the food court?

$1.50 hot beef injection!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I feel obligated to ask:
How was it??

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Nice.

I’m with you on the sourcing. As long as the roadkill is recent and responsibility handled I’d be down for it.

Pity I live nowhere near where easy bear/venison/boar can be had. Sigh.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I made a long delayed pilgrimage a couple days ago and out of curiosity I grabbed one of the house pre-seasoned tri tips. Gave it an 8 hour bath in my sous vide and seared best I could in my cast iron (I'm buying a torch for next time, it's too odd of a shape to easily and quickly sear, at least for me.). It turned out heavenly. Buttery soft inside, with the fats rendering into the meat. The seasoning was just OK. For all the color, it was pretty mild. Next time I'll just do my own seasoning.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

canyoneer posted:

I also tried one of these a few weeks ago, because oddly the seasoned one in a vac pack was cheaper than the regular unseasoned one. I'd agree with all your points.

At least the leftovers make a great sandwich! I used Coleman’s mustard to kick it up a notch.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

So, press that into all the nooks and crannies? Is the mechanism for getting the better sear the pressure or having that thing be as hot as the pan? Sorry, I’ve never used one of those, not trying to be obtuse.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

PokeJoe posted:

the pressure, it gives you better surface area contact with the pan and thus better browning. you can pre-heat i guess it but it won't really be doing much cooking for you

Got it, thank you!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Barf Carpet is an excellent band name.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

fischtick posted:

When my kid was in first grade, she designed (with some help) a science project where she had people rate apples from memory. Then she gave them peeled slices of apples (double blind!) and asked them to rank them by preference.

The poor Red Delicious got decent rankings from memory, but fell hard when people actually tasted it. Honeycrisp was top apple overall, even among weirdos like me who tend to prefer a tart green apple.

Honeycrisp are amazing. A couple years back I picked bushel’s worth from an orchard and they were mind blowing. I slivered several up and let them soak in a handle of Evan Williams for a month. The apple whiskey was perhaps the best thing I’ve ever sipped. The whiskey got all to apple goodness, the apples absorbed the rough part of the whiskey. Unfortunately that orchard burned in last summer’s fires :smith:

Church talk. I made my first pilgrimage in a year, and this time I checked out the business Costco which is equidistant from me as the regular Costco. It’s cool as hell, but I do not have enough storage for the volumes I would have to purchase.

Next time I have a cookout, I’m grabbing gone of those uncut blocks of ribeye steaks though!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

StormDrain posted:

How is that different than a prime rib?

toplitzin posted:

It's not.

One you cut a steak off a prime rib (or rib roast), it's a ribeye.

I did not know that! I've never had the opportunity to get a whole prime rib/roast before, so I didn't know what I was looking at.
Learning something every day, thanks.

Next time I go, I'm bringing a parka. The MEAT ROOM is cold as hell and I was wearing shorts and sandals, so I didn't see everything nor had time to read all the labels. Also they had whole goats! I think they have whole pigs, but again, rushed through and didn't see them.

Urge to buy chest freezer, rising.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

BeAuMaN posted:

As I posted last you can get a 5.0 cu ft for $130, but you'll have to get it at Walmart in store. Unless Costco stops selling out of Chest Freezers.

Then you'll be able to stockpile that meat. Thanksgiving/Christmas? Stuff it full of turkey. Christmas/New Year? Stuff it full of rib roasts. Whenever there's a meat sale just stuff it in there and cook it at your liesure.

Thanks for this. This was the post that got me thinking about it in the first place.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

I literally came here to post this because I bought a bag this morning.

If you’ve ever had fried pickles, they taste exactly like those except with chip texture. Little bit of tooth as you chew from the tiny bit of cucumber in the center.

They’re not “chips” however. They’re really broken down with only a few full sized “chips.” The bag indicates that they expect the end user to use them as a topping for Mac and cheese, salads, etc. with a serving size of 1 tablespoon.

Hah. Hah hah hah hah!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

poisonpill posted:

Onionize me, Captain!

Ok, but there may be a brief stinging sensation.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I noticed my church has a fat pack of chicken meat pulled from not-sold-in-time rotisserie chickens for like, $12.

Is that a decent deal, because it looks like at least 3 birds worth of meat?

I’m teetering on my decision precipice.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Right? The meat in those packs looks a lot cleaner and, I don’t know how else to put it, *thicker* than what I shred from the birds I take home.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Well drat, that’s cool to learn, thank you. (I love having an inside line, a member of the clergy if you will, here to educate us.) That’s what I do with my chickens. Portion out and seal servings so I don’t have to do much thinking and cooking after work during the week. Especially in the summer.

Also I don’t believe I’ve seen the quartered chicken pack. Is that in the same area? The row by the rotisserie chickens is always slammed so I rarely spend any time browsing. Just grab burd and gtfo.
I will make the effort on my next run, likely Monday. Grab one of each!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Good gravy that 505 Hatch Green Chili salsa is amazing.
I don’t think I’ve finished a jar of anything that size that quickly ever in my life.
It is BOMB on eggs and I’ve never been a hot sauce or salsa on eggs guy.

PBUC

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

StormDrain posted:

Oh maybe I'll make chilaquiles with it.

:hai:

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

StormDrain posted:

Mad that you didn't get two jars?

I was going for "emphatic agreement" but also yes I will be picking up more tomorrow.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
On my trip today, I spied these. Looks to be from the same company that makes the pickle chip crumbles.

I am dieting, so I passed on them.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Barry posted:

Oh my, I'm going to have to be on the lookout for these. Those look delicious.

If you do get them I would appreciate a small review. For posterity, you understand.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

The Midniter posted:

I found these dark chocolate covered coconut almonds at Aldi a few weeks back and despite not being a huge fan of coconut, I really enjoyed them. They were like the child of a Mounds and an Almond Joy.

This description is confusing as they are the exact same candy bar with the caveat: Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't.

Why is that jingle still stuck in my brain after all these years??

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Well poo poo I have been schooled.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I make scrambled eggs at home I always put salsa on them. These 505 chilis look enticing.

Do it. The 505 converted me to a salsa on eggs person.

I had an interesting experience on my last trip. During check out when they scanned my card the cashier called out to some runner. I had a moment of anxiety thinking I had inadvertently broken some protocol. Nope! Turns out I have spent enough to break even on an executive membership and they wanted to talk me into upgrading. They pro-rated me the rest of the year so I went for it.

Very convenient system they have there.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I went in for a flat of Coke Zero and a jar of 505 and came out with them and one of those Ninja air fryer ovens.

Costco strikes again, I mean PBUC!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Chinatown posted:

I like the new flavor formulation.

I was apprehensive since usually what happens is:

Do I like it?
Yes.
Corporate entity deletes with prejudice.

This time, it’s ok. I barely noticed the change.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

iroc.dis posted:

Realized my sister-in-law and her husband don't have a Co membership despite having 3 children and several locations within easy driving distance in suburban Chicago. I couldn't let that injustice stand any longer. I sent them a gift membership for Christmas. PBUC

Costco Bless Us, Every one.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I bring tidings of a Costco miracle, brethren.

Never before in my life have I cracked an egg at home and found two yolks within.
Yet with my most recent crate of eggs from Church, it has happened not once but twice, twice in the space of one week!

Behold!

(Both times it was the second egg I cracked that gave up the doubles,)

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Sure. There’s even a few restaurants that specialize in double yolkers.

But in the wild, without seeking them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

namlosh posted:

I just got back from Costco

For those keeping track:
Bread
Makeup wipes
Cottage cheese
Chicken

That’s a hell of a sangwich. Need that extra fiber and a hint of acetone to cut the fattiness of the curds.