Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cYn
Apr 1, 2008
So on Sunday (Nov 13th) I was thinking about free divers, how they have to control their heart beats, kick frequency and various other rhythms. Thought I could make a cool rhythm game where you swim down into the darkness and tap the screen to kick, judge how much oxygen you use. See how deep you can get and still make it back to the surface alive, in one breath. Like tappety resource management. Lurky sea creatures and poo poo in the background.

I was basing it on Enzo (Jean Reno) from The Big Blue. Enzo is based on a real dude. Enzo Maiorca.

Whacked out a quick prototype. 'S ok.

This morning I was reading the obituaries, which is part of my daily ritual.

The dude died on the day that I came up with a game based on his portrayal by Jean Reno in The Big Blue.
Did I kill Enzo? Is he trapped in my game? Do I have a moral responsibility to publish the game? Who's next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i whacked out a quickie this AM too

billions died

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
No you're just a crazy looking at coincidence. Good luck with your game though.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
It's about ethics in gaming sorcery

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i once read an article about pareidolia the same day i saw a cloud that looks like it said "youre gay"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

cYn posted:

Did I kill Enzo? Is he trapped in my game?

Do you think Wreck-It-Ralph was just a rigamarole video game concept? No. It trapped the soul of a homeless guy from the 1920's who went on a bender and wrecked the poo poo out of an apartment building. He was struck by the building superintendent with a hammer and fell to his death.

Please, treat Enzo's soul-code kindly.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cYn posted:

The dude died on the day that I came up with a game based on his portrayal by Jean Reno in The Big Blue.
Did I kill Enzo? Is he trapped in my game? Do I have a moral responsibility to publish the game? Who's next?

He tried to play your game and failed, and in the realization he was an awful diver, shot himself.

Murderer.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
idk op you should make a game about me and see what happens

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

You didn't kill him, OP, but if your game is bad he might be turning in his grave.

I suggest you hold your breath until his spirit communicates with you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't think you can kill a guy by making something that kind of honors how cool their life is.

I killed Michael Crichton though. I was drunkenly ranting to a friend for probably a solid hour about how even though everyone loves Jurassic Park and E.R. most of Crichton's work sucks poo poo, has bad science and worse worldviews. I went on and on about how lovely and paranoid Rising Sun was, or how Timeline made zero sense as a story even within its own context. I ranted about his petty portrayals of his critics in subsequent novels as pedophiles with micropenises.

The next morning I woke up with a bad hangover to the news that Crichton had passed away. It was a running joke for a while that I'd killed him.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

I don't think you can kill a guy by making something that kind of honors how cool their life is.

I killed Michael Crichton though. I was drunkenly ranting to a friend for probably a solid hour about how even though everyone loves Jurassic Park and E.R. most of Crichton's work sucks poo poo, has bad science and worse worldviews. I went on and on about how lovely and paranoid Rising Sun was, or how Timeline made zero sense as a story even within its own context. I ranted about his petty portrayals of his critics in subsequent novels as pedophiles with micropenises.

The next morning I woke up with a bad hangover to the news that Crichton had passed away. It was a running joke for a while that I'd killed him.

Jurassic Park was good tho.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i plahy a similar game where i hold my breath until i pass out

havent died yet, but ill keep you posted

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if it's like we're all inside a video game like RIGHT NOW :spooky: :spooky: ????

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I am still waiting for my video game concept to become a reality:

A game where you throw coins into the mouths of frogs for points.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Jurassic Park was good tho.

Jurassic Park was way good.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Funny enough you guys are talking about Jurassic Park because my video game concept is Call of Duty but with the terrorists/russians/russian terrorists replaced by dinosaurs.

Gonna call EA and Activision, because that's gotta be mad dough

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My video game concept is X-Com but with Judge Dredd characters and situations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Creamed Cormp posted:

Funny enough you guys are talking about Jurassic Park because my video game concept is Call of Duty but with the terrorists/russians/russian terrorists replaced by dinosaurs.

Gonna call EA and Activision, because that's gotta be mad dough

Dino Crisis

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
prob not op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i liked Prey, was cool if a bit outlandish (what scifi isn't though)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

i liked Prey, was cool if a bit outlandish (what scifi isn't though)

Prey is like his best book ever because he tears a giant hole in the cheesy pop science and then drives a flaming Jeep into it as a makeshift depth charge.

dino crisis is nothing like CoD at all other than I guess the fact that it is a disk that you put in a playstation video game machine device

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
op just remember that ur impact on the world is minimal at best and that each of ur actions in the world is meaningless

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dino crisis is nothing like CoD at all other than I guess the fact that it is a disk that you put in a playstation video game machine device

Dino Crisis 2 then

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dino Crisis 2 then

yeah, can you google like real quick when Dino Crisis 2 was released? tia

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Prey is like his best book ever because he tears a giant hole in the cheesy pop science and then drives a flaming Jeep into it as a makeshift depth charge.

What about turok then smart guy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Creamed Cormp posted:

yeah, can you google like real quick when Dino Crisis 2 was released? tia

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Moridin920 posted:

i whacked out a quickie this AM too

billions died

R.I.P. semen 1-1000000

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Applewhite posted:

My video game concept is X-Com but with Judge Dredd characters and situations.

I'd play this. Could probably prototype it for you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

cYn posted:

I'd play this. Could probably prototype it for you.

That would be pretty rad! But don't you need a license or something?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

cYn posted:

No I'm ok

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If only he had been wearing some SCUBA gear.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Applewhite posted:

That would be pretty rad! But don't you need a license or something?

We won't need licensing where we're going.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

What about turok then smart guy

when i was a kid i thought the idea for turok was so loving cool that i read a strategy guide for it on the bus to a field trip, despite being a playstation kid with profoundly anti-violence parents

i ended up finding it last year for two bucks so i picked it up and gave it a try and by golly that is a real bad game there. wow.

but yeah. like, turok, but good? i'd buy that.

i'd DOUBLE buy it if it heavily incorporated freediving

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mozi posted:

what if it's like we're all inside a video game like RIGHT NOW :spooky: :spooky: ????

I must be in the sewer level CAUSE THIS THREAD STINKSSSSS!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

I wanna make a game called Janet Reno in The Big Blue Pantsuit

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Video games

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

cYn posted:

We won't need licensing where we're going.

nice did you just whip that up?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

cYn posted:

This morning I was reading the obituaries, which is part of my daily ritual.

same *washes hands 7 times for exactly 44 seconds each time*

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

who the gently caress is jean reno???? did she make independence day? ive seen that movie like 10 times

it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I once had a concept for a game that mixed fishing and grand theft auto. You would be in a fishing tournament, and you could either fish like you were supposed to (think “Championship Bass” on PS1), or go around and mug other fisherman and steal their boats and fish.

I’d play a judge dredd x-com game.

• Locked thread