Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Can I just say that it's super exciting how there are signs of a mass awakening of the body politic of young people? I honestly thought this whole thing would be shrugged off, but I'm seeing people give a poo poo in a way that I didn't expect. I dunno maybe it will die down but still seeing people fly into a rage and even wishy washy celebrities actually angry in a way that's not normal might be encouraging.

It turns out when you take for granted the belief that people would take one look at Trump and go "oh goodness no", you start to realize you might have to do more.

I'm glad this thread exists because I got tired of the USPol thread having people just going "feh, neoliberals :smug:" and not offering real suggestions or solutions, while also denigrating the people who honestly tried to offer real solutions or ideas for a way forward.

I really feel equal parts of shame, anger, and panic at the way things have turned out, and how I took for granted the idea that in the year 2016 we would not elect somebody so out of touch with the entire way the world works and somebody so against the Constitution he was gleefully talking about throwing the press in prison, throwing political opponents in prison, and instituting a nationwide violation of the 4th amendment. Ultimately that was a mistake on my part and many others. I also think I did a bad job understanding just how badly the American working class is willing to screw themselves over because they see people less fortunate than them getting help and think "well gently caress you I need help too", even if someone is offering to help them. I took for granted the fact that I try to look at the biggest possible picture of how things affect everybody, and not realizing that, at the core, people ultimately want to look out for themselves first.

Anyway...I don't really know what I can do to help. I live in Massachusetts which at times seems so Blue that even our Republicans aren't all that terrible (which I know is not true but I'm being hyperbolic here). I can write to my senators and representatives of course but I want to do more. I don't have a lot of money, I don't have a lot of time (still need to work unfortunately), and the town I live in is small so even on a local level I can't affect much. Does anybody know of any New England-based or even nationally based progressive groups I could try getting involved in?

Also I know this is mostly about larger action but has anyone ever experienced talking to people they know who, out of misunderstanding or self-interest, supported ideas that would affect people who aren't them disproportionately? And if so, how did you talk to them about it, and were you able to convince them of anything? If that sounds too vague I can provide the anecdote about this as it relates to me. I ask because I suppose I worry that, if I can't even convince friends of progressive ideals, then there isn't much hope of me helping to convince strangers.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Fargle posted:

There is always more to be done. Even if your state is the bluest of the blue. Especially right now with the sheer disaster that is Trump. Your state is going to need help pushing back against him and getting through this with as little damage as possible. Climate change is a real and present threat too. Trump being elected seems like it's only going to make that worse. Boston is a coastal city. See if you can get involved in building defenses against rising sea levels. See if there's any charities you can get involved in that help Americans with healthcare issues maybe? Push for lighter criminal sentencing for misdemeanour offences. Is weed legal in Massachusetts? You could try pushing for that.

There's a lot of things to do even in blue country.

Thanks, these are good ideas and to be honest I completely forgot that Question 4 had passed in this state. I guess my biggest issue is just not knowing who to talk to or get involved with and not even really having an idea of where to start looking, but this helps a bit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Misogynice Job! posted:

My landlord is a massachusetts state representative. Would it be overstepping my boundaries to ask him how to get involved in the democratic party next time I see him?

I say go for it, as a fellow Massachusetts resident it would be good if he can provide any info.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

If Richard Spencer is going to be there print out this tweet on a big sign and print out a giant anime lady on another big sign saying RICHARD BE MAI WAIFU or something more clever i'm not good at signs

https://twitter.com/richardbspencer/status/689692099009097729

Why is his twitter handle now "Richard Brazilian rear end in a top hat Spencer"? :haw:

Also that facebook page is maddening.

Boston Free Speech posted:

We are a group of politically diverse and active citizens who will march the Freedom Trail of Boston. We will show the city that our march will not be stopped by Antifa, or any other radical-left organization that deems anyone a Nazi.

A "politically diverse" group with a picture of a helmet that says "Right Wing Safety Squad" as their banner. Sounds about right. Group page is equally as annoying, with such amazingly useless thought experiments like "What if Antifascists are the real nazis" :psyduck:

As a Massachusetts native I'd be up for going to a counter-protest if one exists. Spreading intolerance is one of the biggest abuses of free speech that I can think of. Unfortunately I'm absolute garbage at signs because the only thing I can think of as a counterpoint would be "The right to free speech does not include the right to be taken seriously" from Hubert H. Humphrey but I don't think that applies.

EDIT:

Jack Gladney posted:

They didn't get him. It's not going to be a big showing (60-100 people), but worrisome for MA where the last "pro-Trump" rally was 30 people on the sidewalk outside the statehouse because they didn't file a permit in time.

That actually doesn't make me feel too bad, since I went to the Tax Day Rally in Boston and there was anywhere from 2 to 3 times as many people as this freedom march or whatever is theoretically pulling.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread