Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

It's hecked up how the best strategy against human sized bosses is to spam sonic blade forever because it just stun locks them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

This game's plot is like memories from the other side of my rear end

XainZero posted:

It's hecked up how the best strategy against human sized bosses is to spam sonic blade forever because it just stun locks them.

honestly thats just kinda one of the biggest flaws with Re:CoM's combat, its so imbalanced that building your deck with the three good sleights in mind should honestly be all you do, especially since the bosses will otherwise kick your rear end easily.

but that's boring material though! i would never have fun playing a videogame for you folks watching!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

XainZero posted:

The time stop one is so much better if you just want fights to end. Or you're really invested in the story of Kingdom Hearts and are just thankful for a simple way to deal with those mighty black robed bosses. Wish I'd known about it when I played the GBA version.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I am almost certain Lethal Frame did not exist in the GBA version.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

I am almost certain Lethal Frame did not exist in the GBA version.

Hey, it might've. My strategy was to amass hordes of decently numbered Cloud cards and then just use that, for the most part, to hack off huge chunks of health.

And, that's all I remember, because he's so powerful. I probably used Sonic Blade too, since I think it sits in that spot of 'less than 27, higher than 20' to make one.

Also, I had to gif Vexen dying. But only since it features a line delivered snappily.

http://i.imgur.com/bKFMR5N.mp4

Also, all I could think of when he said 'please don't' was Weasel screaming before getting his head slammed by a door again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lethal Frame was only in the remake, otherwise I would have finished the GBA version.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Incrementor thing that Riku has was from a black card- the cards dropped by bosses and some enemies give you passive bonuses but they're almost always too expensive to be worth using. The card Vexen dropped gives you Auto-Life which is pretty handy, however.

Also yeah from that second Vexen fight through to the end of the game, all of the human-sized bosses are loving tough. Riku 3 maybe not so much but everyone else will gently caress you up if you're not careful. At least, that's how it was in the GBA version.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The Incrementor thing that Riku has was from a black card- the cards dropped by bosses and some enemies give you passive bonuses but they're almost always too expensive to be worth using. The card Vexen dropped gives you Auto-Life which is pretty handy, however.

Guess I'll chime in with this since it's close to the end: The only Enemy Card anyone should ever use is Jafar, since it makes your next 20 cards unbreakable. That means your next seven sleights can never be broken, eliminating the one weakness the best sleight in the game has (which is that its total value is always low, like something around 3-5.) Jafar was nerfed in the remake and it's still amazing.

Also worth mentioning that if Vexen gains Auto-Life with his own enemy card, you can cancel it with Parasite Cage, the ONLY good use it has in the remake since there's no Link Battles.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to finally find out what this namine business is all about

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In the GBA version Riku 4 and Larxene 2 were so hard for me that I actually quit the game the first time I played it. They were brutal.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Gologle posted:

In the GBA version Riku 4 and Larxene 2 were so hard for me that I actually quit the game the first time I played it. They were brutal.

This. I never had problems with GBA Hook but this two nearly mad me snap my GBA in Half.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Wow, I'm surprised Larxene actually died as a result of the fight. So far it seemed like every fight with a non-Disney boss just ended with them limping away, or turning around and beating the poo poo out of you in the following cutscene. I guess except for Vexen, but Axel killed him after the fight, so that doesn't count.

So, is the next enemy the pink-haired guy we saw once so far, or are we killing Axel next?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 8, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

Larxene 2 was a cakewalk for me but Riku 4 took forever to beat because of that portal sleight he keeps using.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The real issue in the GBA version is you had to go back to save and heal. One step forward and you'd have 2 boss battles right in a row.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Goofy being the grounded voice of reason in that first cutscene is kind of weird.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The GBA version also had a much better line.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bobjr posted:

The real issue in the GBA version is you had to go back to save and heal. One step forward and you'd have 2 boss battles right in a row.

:same: I definitely did this the first time I finally beat Riku here, and then promptly lost my rear end to Larxene. At least beating Riku that first time made it easier to do again.

That's one thing I liked about this game (at least the GBA version)- it wasn't afraid to dial up the boss difficulty. Hook and Hades were both pains and your last battle against each Original Character Do Not Steal were some serious poo poo.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

bobjr posted:

The GBA version also had a much better line.

i love this goddamn image, its the most 2000s thing in the world. just taking a camera photo of a videogame thats emulatable and strapping a demotivational meme on it is p much what that entire decade was

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 8, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It was the only image of that line I could find too. Everything else treated it almost like an urban rumor, which for a second made me think I was hallucinating it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, thanks to all this monologuing, I finally get it.

Larxene sounds like a more obnoxious Peridot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm so glad sora finally realized his memories were being messed with 40 hours after being told that was happening

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm so glad sora finally realized his memories were being messed with 40 hours after being told that was happening

Dumbass confession time: this was the first KH game I played and I didn't bother to read up on the plot of 1 beforehand so I all that I knew about it was beating up Disney villains with a giant key, and also there is an existential darkness. As such I fell for the "Namine is your long-lost buddy!" trap hook, line, and sinker, pretty much until the end of Destiny Islands where you see an image of Kairi and the game goes "hey remember her dummy?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Dumbass confession time: this was the first KH game I played and I didn't bother to read up on the plot of 1 beforehand so I all that I knew about it was beating up Disney villains with a giant key, and also there is an existential darkness. As such I fell for the "Namine is your long-lost buddy!" trap hook, line, and sinker, pretty much until the end of Destiny Islands where you see an image of Kairi and the game goes "hey remember her dummy?"

Well how were you supposed to know?

I just can't believe that the Riku that's been hunting us this whole time turned out to be nothing more than a filthy rrrrreplicaaaaaaaa!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Well how were you supposed to know?

I just can't believe that the Riku that's been hunting us this whole time turned out to be nothing more than a filthy rrrrreplicaaaaaaaa!

When you put it that way I guess I wasn't, but I think it's funny that I kind of fell into the same trap that Sora did- with only a fleeting memory of what happened before, I ended up buying int the first thing I heard with no questions asked. I did eventually go back and play KH1 though!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess it makes sense that Riku was an irredeemable little poo poo, since he wasn't even real.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

new update's out, its the castle oblivion itself. that's right, its the final world!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calling CoM "a moving subtext on Alzheimer's" reminds me of that video series by Clickhole where, among other things, they called Sonic the Hedgehog a game whose protagonist is a deaf woman.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I somehow beat Marluxia first try on the GBA version, but I died to him in this version 3 times because he kept dodging Lethal Frame by teleporting and I just wound up wasting all my sleights. For reference, I'm fairly certain the GBA fight was harder. Really, that goes for nearly all the fights, having access to a larger 3-d plane makes many of the fights in Re:CoM easier than its GBA original.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Sora's conflict resolution heuristics:
Friendship?
Violence!
Friendship Through Violence
Violence Through Friendship (i.e., Trinity Attacks)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

I somehow beat Marluxia first try on the GBA version, but I died to him in this version 3 times because he kept dodging Lethal Frame by teleporting and I just wound up wasting all my sleights. For reference, I'm fairly certain the GBA fight was harder. Really, that goes for nearly all the fights, having access to a larger 3-d plane makes many of the fights in Re:CoM easier than its GBA original.

I took Marluxia down on my second try but Axel must've taken at least a dozen attempts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Marluxia is a real glass cannon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Not only is Donald's hat a zipper, but the hat-band is made from a belt.

Tetsuya Nomura, everybody!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Calling CoM "a moving subtext on Alzheimer's" reminds me of that video series by Clickhole where, among other things, they called Sonic the Hedgehog a game whose protagonist is a deaf woman.

For me, the game was more reminiscent of stumbling through a bad dream. You have some kind of vague idea of what you should be doing and what you're pushing towards, but all the actions you try to take feel maimed and awkward, like some part of you is missing and you don't know how to get it back. You visit places that you've been before, but something about them is weird and kind of off this time around. You don't know why you keep forging ahead, save for there's nothing else you're able to do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Marluxia was hard as gently caress in the GBA version, also his face card makes his sleights activate twice and he would always lead with that. Axel was a pain too.

E: When Axel said "hey good thing I saved you I guess", he's referring to his releasing Namine and not some deep secret thing, right?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 15, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kairi is such a noncharacter and Sora's so dense that it's shocking that Namine thought she had to slowly change his memories of her over eight floors of Kingdom Hearts.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Kairi is such a noncharacter and Sora's so dense that it's shocking that Namine thought she had to slowly change his memories of her over eight floors of Kingdom Hearts.

All the Organization needed was a red wig, but that would have taken too much out of their own hair care budget

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Namine has more screentime in this game than Kairi in like every KH put together by my estimation so no worries

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its the final update, time to clear out this dumb rear end castle.

i'm gonna take a break for two weeks and then we'll resume with riku's story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm glad that Namine is versed in the kind of open heart surgery required to give people back their memories.

• Locked thread