Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Banner drawn by twitter user @Awrysquare

Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories is a 2007/2008 remake of the Gameboy Advance title of the same name (sans Re:). The game was originally released in Japan in 2004, while Re:CoM came alongside a re-release of Kingdom Hearts II in Japan and in the US as a stand-alone title. Developed by Square-Enix, it is a action card strategy game that does neither well, slipping into both genres like a clown with a pie on his face who's continually slipping on a banana peel. Meant as a direct sequel to the previous game, this story continues the adventures of Sora, Donald and Goofo, introducing them to a new set of villains and also a ton of recycled content. Both the remake and the GBA version received positive reviews, although the most of the acclaim was in regards to the GBA version's presentation, with many finding its combat system unwieldy. The game sold 1.55 million copies worldwide.

Hi, my name is FutureFriend and I loving am eh about this game but yet love the dumb series that is continuing with this. Along with me, my buddies ChorpSaway, killeremcee and a_raving_loon will be going along this crazy adventure designed for people who think a royal flush is just a bit too out there for them. ChorpSaway played bits and pieces of it, while killeremcee and a_raving_loon are pretty much blind to it. I'm the only one who's finished this game and I'm the poorer for it. We'll be providing cut and uncut versions if you want to experience the voiced cutscenes by yourself.

For this LP, we'll be playing the PS2 remake, of which there is a upscaled version on the KH1.5 HD Remix Collection. Don't worry, it's not that much different from the GBA one besides moving to a 3D plane!

Hey, didn't you do a LP of the first game, ya bozo?
That's right! I highly recommend checking that out if you haven't already, because we'll sure to reference back to it or our opinions on it.

Are you going to show off all the cards or sleights?
There are too many cards, I do not like this game, I refuse.

1. No Spoilers! If we haven't seen it yet, don't talk about it. The previous thread went kinda wild with it, so I'd like to keep it on the downlow this time. Don't do that vague wink wink poo poo either! Not even in spoiler tags.
2. Don't talk about other games (besides Kingdom Hearts 1!) Basicly a extension of the first rule, but I'd still like this thread to be accessible to blind folks! Talking about Kingdom Hearts 1 is fine, though, especially as a relating point to this game.
3. No Yu-Gi-Oh jokes. Everyone has heard your Heart of the Cards joke buddy, I ain't wanna hear it again.

KillerEmcee sprited this. He hasn't told me why.

The Ayshkerbundy drew these. I have no lovely joke for them besides that I love them.

here are The Ayksherbundy's original character "The Don" and "Goff"

its The Ayksherbundy once again coming at ya

uhm yea, i got nothing for this. its by The Ayksherbundy

The Ayksherbundy, 2017

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

White Coke posted:

What about Gwent jokes?

gwent already is a joke

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Who drew that beautiful banner

knew i forgot to add something to the op! banner is drawn by twitter user and friend of the show @AwrySquare

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is one of two kh games i've never played so I guess i'm interested in seeing what it's all about. I'm sorta disappointed you're doing this instead of KH 2 though because being utterly confused at a games plot due to never playing a previous title you might not have even knew existed, is I think a very important part of the Kingdom Hearts series. And it's a shame the co-commentators won't experience that.

honestly as much fun as it is to go in balls deep into this poo poo and go full into confusion, a huge part of why i wanna do these games is exactly because of that confusion that arises from skipping plot important handheld games like this. also to be entirely honest, a lot of those handheld games are also a bit wank and not many people go on to beat them!

SirSamVimes posted:

I won't have you badmouthing the greatest game. It even has this pretty good rpg sidequest called "the witcher 3" attached to it.

witcher 3 is one of my favorite games to come out recently but gwent has one strategy and its boring. i still played like 10 hours of it though because something is broken with me.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Kemix posted:

Timeline is:1 into Chain of Memories into 2 into WHO CARES because the story got so hosed up and complicated that only that retard Nomoura knows anymore and he's too busy snorting all the crack from this cash cow he's made to make 3.

Also I refute the game being trash, it's perfectly serviceable as long as you ignore the entirety of the retarded story in it.

:eyepop:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

yo, let's cool it on talking about other card games btw and try to keep poo poo on-point.

either way, though, next update should be up Monday 6 PM EST/11 PM GMT.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

it is time to learn more about... cards...

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

sidenote: i should give credit where credit is due and say all of y'all should watch Jon Bois' Pretty Good episode on poker

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to abandon nerd poo poo like cards and instead go onto sports

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

that big plot post is a bit silly and weird in the context of what we have seen right now but id rather have a million of those than tryhard posts like this

Kemix posted:

Truly deep minds would be floored by how deep it is...or blow their brains out. Either way.

kemix stop posting in my thread

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to go to the middle east and tell the same story AGAIN, WOW!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

adventures of child, duck and dog returns

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

White Coke posted:

Are any of the robe wearing villains going to be talking animals?

the real talking animal all along was... man

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to go to a real clown car of a world

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

More and more... I find myself getting...less and less down with the voice...acting.

i legit think quinton flynn as axel in this is a lot of fun, but the rest of the voice direction feels very stiff and kinda like they just didn't have enough budget and/or time to spend on making everyone ham up?

donald and goofy are always a blessing tho.

thetoughestbean posted:

Y'know, I'm not entirely sure that remembering "I had a friend when I was young!" is worth losing memories of the time you saved the multiverse from Billy Zane

the real dastardly memory loss conspiracy of castle oblivion is to make hollywood forget billy zane's blacklisting

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

so this video is basicly where plot actually starts happening again after episode 2. we're nearly halfway done in this game :v

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 29, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Aladdin was a good ally and FutureFriend didn't show off Jack or Mooshoo, but yeah a lot of them seem useless.

oh yeah, i cut some stuff out to not have videos run too long and i forgot that included not showing off Jack. yeah, jack's whole thing is that he's like donald and genie, just has a pool of spells he randomly picks from and fires like 2 of. spells he can pick from are either fire, blizzard, thunder or gravity.

mushu i'll never really be able to show off because its kind of around this point that every enemy starts having higher values on their card values then what you get from your first card of a type. and unfortunately i got poo poo rng this playthrough at the moogle shop and straight up never got any high value enough summon cards.

anyway, mushu just kinda fires a fireball. not really worth the effort.

e: all my posts explaining poo poo can be p much summed up as "this lp is bad. JUST LIKE THE GAME!"

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 29, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

DrGraevling posted:

Watching this I'm beginning to think that Tetsuya Nomura isn't actually an expert on memories and neuroscience. He seems to think that memories are stored in the heart rather than the brain.

this nomura guy sounds like a sick freak

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

honestly heart is p much the fairytale and disney term for "souls", so its something i will actually kinda defend as not that out-there for a fantasy game to make grand motions about the soul

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

time for ocean

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

it's time to chillax and switch it up a little with minigames

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

I love you guys and your group commentary, but after Naruto + Final Fight, and now between this and Gungrave holy cow do I hope you guys play some actually-good games soon. Man cannot survive on anime alone! :ohdear:

all of us at the Golden Boys LP Group (i just made that name up, look forward to seeing it on the news soon!) think Final Fight was kickass and good. don't worry though, if all plans go right after this we'll be LPing a lil something IGN awarded the title of "game"

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

why

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Looper posted:

If you look at the detailed information for keyblade cards in the journal, they all have different stats for slash, thrust, and finisher (aka the parts of your combo)

It's still dumb though and I would argue the idea is actually bad and fundamentally flawed. Out of all the weird card games of the mid 2000s, CoM had the worst system

i think a big problem also with the three hit combo having different properties for every keyblade type is that a) in the heat of combat, most people won't remember what type does what and its not notified and b) sleights kinda gently caress up constructing to deal with that since it takes away one of your cards, so uhm scroll the gently caress around while getting ur rear end kicked to do the best damage? its kind of a mess that doesn't work with the rest of the systems.

anyway, here's a update for y'all!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

A human being wrote that line.
A voice actor said it out loud.
A sound engineer recorded it, saved it, and turned it into a sound file.
At least three otherwise-normal-seeming, mostly-rational people were involved in making that line happen, to say nothing of the dozens of managers, supervisors, producers and directors presumably in the mix. What is wrong with Square-Enix, that this thing has happened? :psyduck:

i think the line is good

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

And More posted:

That's pretty much the pitch for this game's plot, isn't it? Namine is writing her own self-insert fan fiction.

namine rewrites history itself, and it falls upon the fabled page of the ansem fight. she scribbles out the memories of the past and rearranges them to suit her views, to spread them around, this seed of a memory will not leave the castle. the magical hero will be corrupted, castle or not.

3 months later, donald duck votes republican

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to beat up a nerd

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

let's go to twilight town, a world with actual new graphics! what the!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

This game's plot is like memories from the other side of my rear end

XainZero posted:

It's hecked up how the best strategy against human sized bosses is to spam sonic blade forever because it just stun locks them.

honestly thats just kinda one of the biggest flaws with Re:CoM's combat, its so imbalanced that building your deck with the three good sleights in mind should honestly be all you do, especially since the bosses will otherwise kick your rear end easily.

but that's boring material though! i would never have fun playing a videogame for you folks watching!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to finally find out what this namine business is all about

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

bobjr posted:

The GBA version also had a much better line.

i love this goddamn image, its the most 2000s thing in the world. just taking a camera photo of a videogame thats emulatable and strapping a demotivational meme on it is p much what that entire decade was

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 8, 2017

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

new update's out, its the castle oblivion itself. that's right, its the final world!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its the final update, time to clear out this dumb rear end castle.

i'm gonna take a break for two weeks and then we'll resume with riku's story

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

sora is the kind of dude who would end up in a relationship with a budding serial killer and think "no, this is fine, this is what girls are"

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

and its time to start up riku mode, starring the famous dark anti-hero "Riku", love that guy.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hey Futurefriend, could you post that picture you're using as the thumbnail? I can't really make out any of the details via youtube.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

lets keep going on and see what those knuckleheads in the basement are up to

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

in the semi-final update of re:chain of memories, we get to all the cool poo poo in this game

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The game audio track seems to be like half a second off in Episode 18, at least in the uncut version.

e: Actually the amount of drifts seems to not be constant? Hm.

yeah for some reason my copy of the game sometimes loads gameplay sounds like half a second beforehand, its super weird but the dialogue seemed fine to me. videogames are dumb!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I bet you liked that boss. You, FutureFriend, leader of the 'I ain't no nerd' party.

FutureFriend: the foremost anti-nerd LPer on the internet.

hell, next lp ill make it a rule to make sure no loving nerds can post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

but then you won't be able to post the thread in the first place

what the gently caress!

• Locked thread