Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
So I have a 07 corolla that I park on the street, and while I'm in a pretty good area and have never had a problem before, last night someone decided to somehow pop my hood and steal my battery. Now I'm wondering about like any sort of locking mechanisms that I could potentially get since I cant really just park in another neighborhood and if they are willing to steal my lovely old corroded battery im sure whoever took it last night would be happy to come by tonight and take the new one as well.

I've tried googling but not really seeing anything and also im bad with cars so might just not be searching for correct terms.

Anyways, any advice on ways to secure my hood so some rear end in a top hat cant come by and steal my battery again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you're ok with drilling holes in the hood, you can get lockable retainer pins:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You could probably do what the old school Civic guys do and re-route your hood cable so it can't be pulled from within the fender liner or wherever they got to it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
put the battery in the trunk!!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Octopus Magic posted:

put the battery in the trunk!!!

my '87 325i had the battery in the trunk, I thought that was a good place for it. Never had battery in that car stolen ):<

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could probably do what the old school Civic guys do and re-route your hood cable so it can't be pulled from within the fender liner or wherever they got to it.

how hard is that to do for someone who knows jack poo poo about cars? It sounds hard to do...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nooner posted:

my '87 325i had the battery in the trunk, I thought that was a good place for it. Never had battery in that car stolen ):<
You can open an E30 bonnet with a screwdriver anyway, there's an emergency release you can get to through the grille slats.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Get an after market alarm that has a hood switch. Look into viper alarms.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seconding alarm. Plus if you have power locks, you can add keyless entry if you don't already have it. If it's automatic, it's pretty trivial to add remote start at the same time, which is nice on hot days (if your ac works).

This is all assuming it doesn't have any kind of factory alarm. If it does, a hood pin switch wired to one of the door switches should set off the factory alarm.

Just do everyone a favor.. if you add an alarm, have them turn the sensitivity down so that cars driving by with loud music won't set it off. :argh: Also, aftermarket alarms often offer a backup battery, so that they'll keep sounding even if someone disconnects the car battery.

The downside is everyone ignores car alarms these days, but if you're within earshot you'll at least know something's up.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The downside is everyone ignores car alarms these days, but if you're within earshot you'll at least know something's up.

Pager alarm, yo. The fob in your pocket starts going ape poo poo if the alarm is triggered for whatever reason. The one I had on my Trans Am worked from probably a good half mile away - and that was in 2001, before everything could be linked to a cell network / wifi / whatever. May not be able to stop them, but if you're close enough you can run out there with a baseball bat so you can get a good look at them / their getaway car so you can give a good description to the cops later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I.. never had a fancy enough alarm to have two way paging.

But I did stick a couple of these evil bastards on my old car. One under the dash, one inside the fender next to the battery. In addition to the normal siren.

I still have one of them... it's hooked up to my home burglar alarm (typical home alarms run 12V DC to, well, everything, even though they have ~18V AC power supplies). It's not nearly as audible outside as a normal siren (but I have a normal indoor siren hooked up too, and you can hear that fucker several buildings away), but it will sure as gently caress make you wish for a quick death if you're inside the apartment with it sounding.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I.. never had a fancy enough alarm to have two way paging.

But I did stick a couple of these evil bastards on my old car. One under the dash, one inside the fender next to the battery. In addition to the normal siren.

I still have one of them... it's hooked up to my home burglar alarm (typical home alarms run 12V DC to, well, everything, even though they have ~18V AC power supplies). It's not nearly as audible outside as a normal siren (but I have a normal indoor siren hooked up too, and you can hear that fucker several buildings away), but it will sure as gently caress make you wish for a quick death if you're inside the apartment with it sounding.

I like how this thing has "can be used as a 'pain generator'" in the description three frickin' times :pwn:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Black88GTA posted:

Pager alarm, yo. The fob in your pocket starts going ape poo poo if the alarm is triggered for whatever reason. The one I had on my Trans Am worked from probably a good half mile away - and that was in 2001, before everything could be linked to a cell network / wifi / whatever. May not be able to stop them, but if you're close enough you can run out there with a baseball bat so you can get a good look at them / their getaway car so you can give a good description to the cops later.

Yes because I sleep with my keys in my pocket next to my tactical flashlight and 4 different cold steel weapons strategically placed around my room.

Oh yeah,wait I sleep naked next to my slam piece that I have had sex with :smuggo:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nooner posted:

Yes because I sleep with my keys in my pocket next to my tactical flashlight and 4 different cold steel weapons strategically placed around my room.

Oh yeah,wait I sleep naked next to my slam piece that I have had sex with :smuggo:

It beeps really loudly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nooner posted:

Run out whipping your dong at them and they'll run away. Nobody wants to fight a naked guy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

I like how this thing has "can be used as a 'pain generator'" in the description three frickin' times :pwn:

Trust me, 2 seconds of being within 500 feet of that will have you running away really loving fast.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Trust me, 2 seconds of being within 500 feet of that will have you running away really loving fast.

I set mine off in the BMW once when I leaned in the rolled down window to grab something. I forgot the alarm was armed and has an ultrasonic motion sensor. 😭

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This is how I define hood security:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm the computer parts in anti-static bags

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

R-Type posted:

lol

The other options are at least passable ideas.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 19, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

Chard posted:

I'm the computer parts in anti-static bags

I'm the quick-remove tray.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

R-Type posted:

Those are cool guns. What kind of guns are those. Hey everybody what's your favorite gun?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

Powershift posted:

Those are cool guns. What kind of guns are those. Hey everybody what's your favorite gun?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Magnum.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Blackhawk.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My car was recently broken into. I installed one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISVJL6

With an extra one of these to cover both sides of my car:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISZD2C

Works well if you have a parking spot you call your own. 1/2 line of sight range though mine isn't more than 200ft through a few walls. Battery powered and receiver is AC powered with a battery back up. Adjustable beeping volume too. I paired that with a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH in case I don't hear the alarm/it doesn't go off. Alternatively if you have street parking, leave the sensors in the car facing out the window.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

um excuse me posted:

My car was recently broken into. I installed one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISVJL6

With an extra one of these to cover both sides of my car:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISZD2C

Works well if you have a parking spot you call your own. 1/2 line of sight range though mine isn't more than 200ft through a few walls. Battery powered and receiver is AC powered with a battery back up. Adjustable beeping volume too. I paired that with a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH in case I don't hear the alarm/it doesn't go off. Alternatively if you have street parking, leave the sensors in the car facing out the window.

Glass is essentially opaque to IR for all intents and purposes, so leaving them inside would be pretty pointless..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

I didn't know you were my next door neighbor.

... or... uh.. well, every neighbor in my apartment complex.

But I will say it's nice being able to find any drug I want simply by walking outside and standing in the parking lot for a bit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powershift posted:

Buckmark

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

Those are cool guns. What kind of guns are those.

Many, many years ago in the middle of an intense Max Payne firefight my buddy coined the phrase "ghetto meter" and I've referred to any 92FS by that name ever since.

One of my favorite guns is the Model 29

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*looks slowly at each bicep as a coy grin begins to form*

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Weld a bracket over the battery. It's new, you won't need to replace it for a while.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's probably a good idea if you can get a welder who's confident enough not to melt the battery from heat. You'll only have to change it like 6-8 years from now and if theft is a problem having to use a die grinder to get at the battery isn't that much of a hassle. Or get really elaborate and make up a hinged bracket with a hole for a padlock.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That or get a vehicle that's just inherently difficult to steal the battery from
like a
Black Chrysler Intrepid

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I park in a rough-ish area too, and the lock on my s10 is busted so apart from not leaving god drat anything inside I ran a thick steel cable through the part of the battery where the strap/handle attaches to then bolted that down to the frame. It's not fool proof, but I think they'll just go to the next car down instead of dicking around for a minute or two. You could try that, or some chain with a rubber coating going over the whole thing, or some kind of locking cage if you're handy with a welder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Bike chain, hole in hood, chain to bumper. Or just chain the battery in place.

• Locked thread