Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is a WW2 Real Time Tactics game. What does it play like? Imagine a real time X-COM: UFO Defense but in a modern 3D engine and it's about WW2. This game takes micro to a new level, and features a complex layer of simulation including (sketchy, but workable) ballistics. Each infantryman is it's own unit, and each one has an inventory, can scavenge the battlefield and generally can do some pretty heroic poo poo.

If you haven't played it, but have played Company of Heroes and enjoyed it, I recommend this to you as it exists in a similar vein, but it has a lot more granularity. Plus you get to control your own units directly as if it was a third person shooter, albeit kinda wonkily until you get used to the controls.

If you have played it, get your asses in here and lets talk fav factions and strategems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A good game he cheers

Terrible voice acting though. Or did that get better in AS2, I forgot. Do US guys still shout "FOR THE MOTHERLAND!", "AIM IS IN THE REACH ZONE", "I WAS REACHED!"?

Best moment was on an Africa map, a single British dude who had run out of ammo being chased by a German MP40 guy blazing away and failing to hit, and the British guy shouting "I hate it!!!"

Very loving fun, and Call to Arms is looking sweet so far.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yes they do, lol

All factions shout the same lines. To be honest, it's not actually that horrible when you consider the budget these games are made on.

I'm 99% sure it's the same game as the first, but with a new singleplayer. Soviets are just as overpowered as ever in the early and midgame. Germany is still number one in late game.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I recently downloaded the "fixed" Titan mod and it's really quite amusing. Breathed lots of new life into the singleplayer and had a lot of fun fighting against the new bots and with the new infantry AI.

I once saw my Ally AI have a GI rip a M2HB off of a half track and use it as a handheld weapon while defending against a Japanese assault on the Phillipines mission.

RN I'm revisiting the vanilla German campaign and having a bitch of a time trying to win Pomerania. I can always hold out more or less until the last wave, and the shower of T-72/85s don't give a gently caress about all the Jagdpanzers.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I got into the top ten players in this on the leaderboard by playing as the Japanese. The core of the game's multiplayer is about trading resources efficiently, and counterpicking what your enemy picks until you eventually have an overwhelming advantage. Having good tactics and placing your guys correctly in addition to having good micro control like being able to kill entire squads with one guy with a grenade are how you end up winning games decisively as long as you're making the right picks or counterpicks.

I had to quit because my ISP was making GBS threads the bed and I couldn't play games without disconnecting, and by the time the problem got resolved I had moved on to other games.

The Japanese are powerful because of two things- Each of their individual riflemen have the potential to kill tanks, and they have a mortar that can instantly kill infantry in an extremely large radius. Use the mortar to kill the enemy infantry, and then creep your riflemen up to the enemy tanks to blow them up. That's the simple bread and butter to win with them, and most of the tactical choices you make while playing as the Japanese revolve around enticing your enemies to try attacking your mortar that is dominating the battlefield and killing anything that they bring out to threaten it. Their light tanks only cost as much as an assault squad, so if they buy counter artillery you have a very cheap and effective unit that you can use to suicidally drive into any offending artillery pieces, and if they try to attack with a vehicle the Japanese AT guns are extremely effective if your infantry aren't able to get into AT grenade range of the tank.

I'm not too sure how big the multiplayer community is, but it would be a fun game to play with goons at some point. I'd be a little bit rusty, but for the most part once you understand the game and its flow it's really not too difficult to get back into it.

Here's a few video highlights from when I was streaming games.

This is the game's physics freaking out- We had completely dominated the enemy team and flipping a panther into the river, killing a bunch of stormtroopers in a half track, and blowing up the bridge had no significant impact on the game because of how badly we were beating them. We had 6/7 of the capture points on the map, when a normal back and forth game has the middle point bouncing between the sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAnMXMXtfKY

This is from frontlines mode where you have an attacking side with constantly replenishing troops versus a defending side that only gets reinforcements when they fall back to the next defensive line. I just took an infantry swarm and ran around the flank that my partner couldn't break through to throw grenades at anything that moved (which accidentally included all of my own men.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqoll5s7erw

This is from the skirmish mode where your team gets points based on how you are trading kills. Killing a valuable unit nets you more points than killing a cheap one, and we were behind on points and the enemy was turtling since they had the point lead and all they had to do up to that point was exist. I used a field gun to kill the huge rear end AT gun that they had posted up on the choke point, and then charged the choke with a light tank to run over the AT gun, break through, and kill their self propelled artillery. The chaffee ended up overpenetrating the SPG's armor multiple times, and they had spawned in an armored car which destroyed my tank. I had the lone surviving crew member in the tank bail out and use the tank's scuttling dynamite to finish off the SPG, which put our team in a decisive point lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTnOFUG_a9Y

This is another skirmish match up between the USSR and Japan, which most of the players in MoW considered to be one of the worst match ups in the game. The Soviets get some of the best armor in the game, while the Japanese rely heavily on controlling the map with large amounts of infantry. Most of the players who play have no idea what to do with their infantry and have no clue on controlling large amounts of the map without using armor, so they consider the Japanese to be a really, really weak faction. In this video I used a light tank to help my infantry withdraw after they got shot up by the Russian infantry in the road, then I pulled it back and sent it across the map to take out a heavy machinegun that my useless allies were getting torn apart by. I then ran the tank through an occupied trench multiple times before having to withdraw due to one of the Soviet players spawning a T34 which my ha-go has no chance of fighting at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-tXdPRoF4

It's still probably one of my favorite games of all time, but a lot of people have big problems with the micro control that good players will use to wipe floor with people. The mechanics take a while to learn and they're pretty unforgiving if you gently caress up in MP, but it's fun because of the gameplay depth in my opinion.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 17, 2016

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I used to play the original Men of War and it was some of the most fun I've had with a game in multiplayer and now I'm looking to scratch that same itch again. Is it worth picking this up or should I wait for Call to Arms and join in with that? What's the community like? Active? Lots of games whenever you want?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Checking steam charts says that there has been an average of 1,000 players online over the past month, so that's about as active as it has ever been. One of the big problems for new players is that a lot of the people who play it have been playing it for a long time (even though a lot of them are really bad.) It's hard to play as a new player and win, but if you're fine with losing during your newbie period it can be a super fun game to play once you get how it plays.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Call to Arms isn't really worth the money right now. I bought it when it was on sale and I guess they are introducing a season pass that includes factions and they haven't mentioned if previous buyers will get grandfathered into their new F2P scheme.

I can appreciate they probably don't make a ton of money on their games so they have to do crap like this to stay afloat. It sucks because I really love how they managed to cut out/simplify the concept of build orders, and the beef of the game is ensuring intelligent unit placement and ambushes.

Though I will say if you can pick up Call to Arms on sale as it is, I would suggest doing so. I payed $10 for it and it's very fun. The new direct control system is actually really neat (really makes camera control a lot less awkward) and they fixed stuff like vehicles not being damaged by driving through terrain, so careless driving of your Abrams might leave it tracked and exposed to a rear assault. There's a lack of content, but that's mainly due to the fact that you can only play as either the US or ISIS and the campaign isn't even close to done. Haven't played multiplayer on it.

That being said I also haven't really tried multiplayer in MOW:AS2, except for one match where my friend rage quit after my stug blew up his AVRE. I'm spooked to try MP because I only have 21 hours in the game and I'm still learning to take full advantage of the micro.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Assault Squad is really loving cool. Multiplayer was excellent when you don't take it too seriously, nothing like burning a bunch of people alive or setting a big tanks engine on fire with a little flamer guy. I don't think I've ever had a flamethrower dude not kill themselves.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Apparently they also did a remake of the original Men of War using the newer AS2 engine? I was kind of tempted to pick that one up since I really enjoyed the original MoW. The newer QoL features in later games were a pretty big improvement but I hated the lack of proper campaigns.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Apparently they also did a remake of the original Men of War using the newer AS2 engine? I was kind of tempted to pick that one up since I really enjoyed the original MoW. The newer QoL features in later games were a pretty big improvement but I hated the lack of proper campaigns.

IIRC if you own the original you either get it for free or get it at a drastically reduced price. Either way, most of the original campaign missions were super good and the engine updates have been really, really good between MoW and AS2, but they aren't noticeable unless you play them back to back.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I thought I had seen there was a discount but now I can't find it at all. Apparently it doesn't have any of the original music or story cutscenes included either (for what that's worth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

This game is 75% off on steam for the autumn sale, which is totally worth it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244450/

• Locked thread