Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Grandmother of Five posted:

sorry about the near-triple post, but i just realized that the OP did not only mean to tell her friend that she's got herpes, but was actually suggesting that she's was the victim of child abuse. amazing.

It actually was this, wasn't it op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You don't actually (usually) get herpes from drinking out of the same glass as someone. The virus can only survive outside the warmth of the body for about 12 seconds. So just wait a tidge before hitting that joint or whatever and you'll be fine. If they're not symptomatic the chances are even less.

Also the plus side is if you have HSV1 the chances of getting HSV2 are very low. Some people think this phenomena or something like it is why we humans kiss. To give each other chill herpes so we don't get bad herpes. I guess in this case genital herpes would have had to gently caress up reproductive systems, not sure if that is the case atm or not.

But we probably just kiss because kissing rules.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I googled cold sores. It was cold sores. I guess I've never seen them before.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I'm just thankful OP started this thread before trying to convince their friend that she had been molested.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This thread reminds me of when I was 15 and went to my girlfriend's house and saw a loofah in her bathroom and thought it was a tool meant to clean the vagina and got all embarrassed.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

This thread reminds me of when I was 15 and went to my girlfriend's house and saw a loofah in her bathroom and thought it was a tool meant to clean the vagina and got all embarrassed.

Did you ask her about it in that context and if so please go over the conversation with us here.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
THC kills the herpes virus. Smear some dabs & hashoil on her face and junkbox; you'll be fine for anal for days!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Bill O'Reilly?!?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

You don't actually (usually) get herpes from drinking out of the same glass as someone. The virus can only survive outside the warmth of the body for about 12 seconds. So just wait a tidge before hitting that joint or whatever and you'll be fine. If they're not symptomatic the chances are even less.

Also the plus side is if you have HSV1 the chances of getting HSV2 are very low. Some people think this phenomena or something like it is why we humans kiss. To give each other chill herpes so we don't get bad herpes. I guess in this case genital herpes would have had to gently caress up reproductive systems, not sure if that is the case atm or not.

But we probably just kiss because kissing rules.

No strain of HSV commonly causes damage to the reproductive system and most explanations for common behaviour that centre around some kind of weird evolutionary theory are apocryphal nonsense. HSV can live on dry inanimate surfaces for between a few hours and eight weeks.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

years ago goons called me a dumbass or something because I don't have cold sores/herpes and I'm like lol

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Dogfish posted:

HSV can live on dry inanimate surfaces for between a few hours and eight weeks.

Source? This is contrary to everything I've read.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

Source? This is contrary to everything I've read.

The Public Health Agency of Canada.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

Just FYI, hsv-1 & hsv-2 aren't limited to being genital or oral exclusively. You can have either strain either place (or other places!)

Yeah I was going to say this. Also, just to add that we actually don't know that much about the differences between hsv-1 and hsv-2 re transmission. We now know that hsv-1 (traditional genital herpes) can be spread when asymptomatic, and before a person has ever exhibited any signs of herpes. We also can't really test for herpes when a person is asymptomatic. Furthermore, now that people are having more oral sex, there's way more hsv-2 showing up on genitals, which is leading some to speculate that hsv-2 might also be transmissible when asymptomatic.

So, your options are to accept that you're going to get herpes some where on your body, or be so terrified of getting herpes on your junk that you forgo oral sex all together. Which I guess if your posting in EN might not be that hard. :iceburn:

Actually, I don't wish that upon anyone. I'm sorry if that is your fate :monar:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Hahaha incredible. :allears:

Wait did you mean the outside or the inside? Oh god.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Goosed it. posted:

Yeah I was going to say this. Also, just to add that we actually don't know that much about the differences between hsv-1 and hsv-2 re transmission. We now know that hsv-1 (traditional genital herpes) can be spread when asymptomatic, and before a person has ever exhibited any signs of herpes. We also can't really test for herpes when a person is asymptomatic. Furthermore, now that people are having more oral sex, there's way more hsv-2 showing up on genitals, which is leading some to speculate that hsv-2 might also be transmissible when asymptomatic.

You have HSV-1 and HSV-2 confused. Most genital sores are caused by HSV-2, most oral sores are caused by HSV-1. It's well-known, and has been for awhile, that both are transmissible to some degree when the carrier is asymptomatic. A person with HSV-2 may be asymptomatically shedding the virus up to 10% of days, and the rate for HSV-1 is probably about the same but the available data are less clear. Contact with someone who's asymptomatically shedding is less likely to result in transmission than contact with a sore.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Has the HSV2 vaccine been rolled out in the States? Here in the UK, girls are offered it at age 13, I think. Obviously to try and make sure it's done before your average person becomes sexually active.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Is it possible you mean the HPV vaccine? The only HSV-2 vaccines of which I am aware are still in clinical trials. There are a number of HPV vaccines available in the United States, and here in Canada they're part of the routine schedule.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Probably means HPV. Would a HSV vaccine prevent new cases or help existing ones? Im sure the priority is prevention which is good but one can dream for the cure.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
What I know about the HSV vaccines currently in clinical trials is pretty limited because it's not my area of research, but here's what I gather. There's one vaccine currently in human trials that's only effective in women (and we don't seem to know why) and that's only effective if you've never been exposed to either HSV-1 or HSV-2. It's designed to prevent HSV-2 infection but of course if it only works if you don't already have HSV-1 antibodies and you're a woman, it's going to have limited utility. Another vaccine is designed to reduce the incidence of both outbreaks and asymptomatic viral shedding, rather than prevent acquisition of the virus, so it's along the same lines as the shingles vaccine. That seems much more promising. I think they're both in Phase II trials right now - small-scale human trials to determine effectiveness.

As an aside, I have to say, reading this thread has been a little depressing for me as a sex educator. I hope the people who've been confidently giving wrong information in here stop doing that. My favourite part so far (after the OP's hilariously upsetting deliberations about whether to tell his friend her cold sores are in fact cold sores, of course) has been the dude who challenged me for a source right after making a vague statement that "some people think" kissing somehow evolved as a way of spreading HSV-1 to protect against HSV-2 transmission.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Dogfish posted:

You have HSV-1 and HSV-2 confused. Most genital sores are caused by HSV-2, most oral sores are caused by HSV-1. It's well-known, and has been for awhile, that both are transmissible to some degree when the carrier is asymptomatic. A person with HSV-2 may be asymptomatically shedding the virus up to 10% of days, and the rate for HSV-1 is probably about the same but the available data are less clear. Contact with someone who's asymptomatically shedding is less likely to result in transmission than contact with a sore.

I always do that :( Thanks for catching it!

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Dogfish posted:

Sorry for the double post, can't edit.

The point of my post was more that hsv is really really common, and while there are steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of transmission, you can't eliminate it all together. This is especially true given that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic shedding in individuals who have never displayed symptoms. Add to this that we can't really test for hsv when it's not active and it's clear that avoiding hsv is a crap shoot.

Basically, if you're going to have multiple sexual partners who have/had multiple sexual partners, you've probably been exposed to at least one strain.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Goosed it. posted:

Sorry for the double post, can't edit.

The point of my post was more that hsv is really really common, and while there are steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of transmission, you can't eliminate it all together. This is especially true given that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic shedding in individuals who have never displayed symptoms. Add to this that we can't really test for hsv when it's not active and it's clear that avoiding hsv is a crap shoot.

Basically, if you're going to have multiple sexual partners who have/had multiple sexual partners, you've probably been exposed to at least one strain.

If mean, if your auntie kissed you as a baby ever, you've probably been exposed to HSV-1. I get cold sores and my grandmother apologizes to me for them every time she sees I've had an outbreak. (She's also prone to making statements like "What a damned nuisance; herpes again!" when she gets a cold sore, which is pretty cute.)

It's true that it's probably impossible to completely prevent any exposure to HSV during someone's lifetime, but I guess my question is how much we care about that. It's also probably impossible to completely prevent any exposure to the common cold, but we still usually hesitate to share a drink with someone who's sneezing everywhere. I don't think anyone should flip out about herpes, of course; what I do think is that we should focus our efforts on sensible day-to-day prevention (for example, if you know you're currently infectious, don't have contact with anyone's mucus membranes, just like if you know you have a cold you should stay home from work), prevention of transmission to vulnerable people (like neonates, who can die from HSV infection), and reduction of symptoms/discomfort for people who are infected.

It's not actually true that we can't test for HSV other than culturing a sore; we have a couple of different antibody tests, some of which can differentiate between HSV-1 and HSV-2. They don't provide very clinically useful information a lot of the time, though, since there's a lot of variation in incidence of outbreaks and asymptomatic shedding, so at best we could tell people they might be able to transmit the virus some of the time but we won't necessarily know when. That's one reason why we don't routinely screen for HSV antibodies like we do for, say, HIV.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

You shove it all up there and pull it out really fast like a rip cord. Why did you think there are strings on those things?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

rio posted:

You shove it all up there and pull it out really fast like a rip cord. Why did you think there are strings on those things?

I just involuntarily crossed my legs :o

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SaavikSpocksDaddy posted:

do you take l-lysine or eat coconut oil?

I've got some cat siblings who have herpes of the eye. Vet told us early on that it's not much of a problem if they'll eat food sprinkled with l-lysine whenever they get a flare-up. And yeah, ten years on and that's been the only treatment necessary.
So the l-lysine for sure, not certain on the coconut oil.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

To make you feel better OP, at least you probably know what a shrimp is.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Palpek posted:

To make you feel better OP, at least you probably know what a shrimp is.

Some sort of... small pastry?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Why does everyone here stammer whenever they talk about lysine???

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Anyone with mouth herpes is statically guaranteed to be sucking street dick for cash no matter their age. All those herpes ridden street urchins stalking the sailors.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rio posted:

I wish I knew who the gently caress have me mouth herpes. I was getting cold sores (very infrequently like usual) from a really young age and I'd love to know how that all started.

If you really want to know, the odds are pretty good that you contracted herpes from your mother's vagina during birth (unless you had a Caearean birth). Sorry!

WampaLord posted:

Bill O'Reilly?!?

He didn't say "falafel"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why does everyone here stammer whenever they talk about lysine???

just lmao

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If you really want to know, the odds are pretty good that you contracted herpes from your mother's vagina during birth (unless you had a Caearean birth). Sorry!

Is this the official sponsored thread of medical misinformation? Unless you were hospitalized for weeks as a baby, it's very unlikely that you got HSV at birth, because people who get HSV at birth tend to get extremely ill and/or die. You don't get asymptomatic infections until you have an immune system.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Race Realists posted:

I was going to do no such thing.

It was an honest mistake. I openly admit I was wrong (and dumb)

it also doesn't help to type "cold sores" or "Herpes Simplex" into google :gonk:

:stonk: :stare: :yikes: :shepface: :negative: :cheerdoge:

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich

Dogfish posted:

Is this the official sponsored thread of medical misinformation? Unless you were hospitalized for weeks as a baby, it's very unlikely that you got HSV at birth, because people who get HSV at birth tend to get extremely ill and/or die. You don't get asymptomatic infections until you have an immune system.

I think you have a case of Dontgetitivitis, symptoms include a wooshing noise felt above the cranium.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

loving sever OP.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mixed it up with a douche, which I thought was some sort of tool used for cleaning the inside of a vagina rather than a fluid.

I didn't say anything to her about it and just got shy because I thought I had seen something I wasn't supposed to have.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I mixed it up with a douche, which I thought was some sort of tool used for cleaning the inside of a vagina rather than a fluid.

I didn't say anything to her about it and just got shy because I thought I had seen something I wasn't supposed to have.

But a douche is a tool, and isn't a fluid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Goosed it. posted:

But a douche is a tool, and isn't a fluid.

Oh, the device used to shoot it is called that also? I just knew it was at thing that squirts some (completely unnecessary and apparently actually harmful) cleansing fluid.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, the device used to shoot it is called that also? I just knew it was at thing that squirts some (completely unnecessary and apparently actually harmful) cleansing fluid.

Yeah. The device that shoots the fluid is called a douche. The act of using the device is douching. The fluid in the douche is just called whatever you're using--apple cider vinegar or what or whatever.

And basically no one should douche because it can really mess up the vaginal flora balance and Ph balance.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
HAIRY HAIRY HAIRY HERPES HERPES HERPES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Chlamyllionaire posted:

THC kills the herpes virus. Smear some dabs & hashoil on her face and junkbox; you'll be fine for anal for days!

• Locked thread