Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

Just FYI, hsv-1 & hsv-2 aren't limited to being genital or oral exclusively. You can have either strain either place (or other places!)

Yeah I was going to say this. Also, just to add that we actually don't know that much about the differences between hsv-1 and hsv-2 re transmission. We now know that hsv-1 (traditional genital herpes) can be spread when asymptomatic, and before a person has ever exhibited any signs of herpes. We also can't really test for herpes when a person is asymptomatic. Furthermore, now that people are having more oral sex, there's way more hsv-2 showing up on genitals, which is leading some to speculate that hsv-2 might also be transmissible when asymptomatic.

So, your options are to accept that you're going to get herpes some where on your body, or be so terrified of getting herpes on your junk that you forgo oral sex all together. Which I guess if your posting in EN might not be that hard. :iceburn:

Actually, I don't wish that upon anyone. I'm sorry if that is your fate :monar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Dogfish posted:

You have HSV-1 and HSV-2 confused. Most genital sores are caused by HSV-2, most oral sores are caused by HSV-1. It's well-known, and has been for awhile, that both are transmissible to some degree when the carrier is asymptomatic. A person with HSV-2 may be asymptomatically shedding the virus up to 10% of days, and the rate for HSV-1 is probably about the same but the available data are less clear. Contact with someone who's asymptomatically shedding is less likely to result in transmission than contact with a sore.

I always do that :( Thanks for catching it!

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Dogfish posted:

You have HSV-1 and HSV-2 confused. Most genital sores are caused by HSV-2, most oral sores are caused by HSV-1. It's well-known, and has been for awhile, that both are transmissible to some degree when the carrier is asymptomatic. A person with HSV-2 may be asymptomatically shedding the virus up to 10% of days, and the rate for HSV-1 is probably about the same but the available data are less clear. Contact with someone who's asymptomatically shedding is less likely to result in transmission than contact with a sore.

Sorry for the double post, can't edit.

The point of my post was more that hsv is really really common, and while there are steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of transmission, you can't eliminate it all together. This is especially true given that the virus can be spread by asymptomatic shedding in individuals who have never displayed symptoms. Add to this that we can't really test for hsv when it's not active and it's clear that avoiding hsv is a crap shoot.

Basically, if you're going to have multiple sexual partners who have/had multiple sexual partners, you've probably been exposed to at least one strain.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I mixed it up with a douche, which I thought was some sort of tool used for cleaning the inside of a vagina rather than a fluid.

I didn't say anything to her about it and just got shy because I thought I had seen something I wasn't supposed to have.

But a douche is a tool, and isn't a fluid.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, the device used to shoot it is called that also? I just knew it was at thing that squirts some (completely unnecessary and apparently actually harmful) cleansing fluid.

Yeah. The device that shoots the fluid is called a douche. The act of using the device is douching. The fluid in the douche is just called whatever you're using--apple cider vinegar or what or whatever.

And basically no one should douche because it can really mess up the vaginal flora balance and Ph balance.

• Locked thread