Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
This movie was bad. If you have not already seen this movie for the sake of all that is sacred to you do not watch this movie. Do not pay good money for this monumental waste of time. Your time would be better spent watching the Star Wars prequels. I am serious. Those movies were terrible but at no point did I audibly groan during them. I cannot say the same for this movie.

Harry Potter as a story has never been amazing, its got its flaws, but for the most part it was fun. Now I'm of the opinion that every time JK Rowling adds more content to her world she makes it worse. Penn from Penn and Teller says, "Don't explain the magic." And he is right. (He then goes on to make a career out of performing magic tricks and explaining them, I know, shut up.) Sometimes you just gotta let things be magic because magic.

I would really love to go into detail about how this movie is just so loving bad. But I would have to summarize the entire movie and that would be so many words but I will just say:
The new canon that wizards and muggles are physiologically different? Stupid.
The fact that persecuted witches hide their magic away to protect themselves, creating a thing called an Obscurius, which lashes out at people (completely defeating the point, which is to stay hidden) and kills them in 10 years? Awful, just awful.
The fact that Newt's totally safe and not dangerous at all monsters attack people, damage the area in and around NYC, and break into and vandalize buildings. So dumb.
Just the complete and utter incompetence of everyone, everyone. It hurts.
The authorities just straight up killing a tragic kid on a rampage who was being successfully talked down? Aaaah.
And mother loving Grindewald pointing out that hiding yourself from muggles for muggles' sake is stupid. (He is 100% right.)

Do not watch this movie. I wish I could forget it all. I wish I could be oblivated but obliviating me would not give me those two hours of my life back.

That said, feel free to talk about this godawful movie (and Harry Potter in general) in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here is the already existing Fantastic Beasts thread.

• Locked thread