Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

zh1 posted:

99% of rap music is horrible garbage for misguided white people to listen to

Rap is one of the few genres that didn't have a "golden era" surrounded by a whole bunch of mediocre music.

Tom Waits has never made a bad album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Saying this, even ironically, is so insufferable. We get it, you don't like rap, you are white as hell.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

More dudes need to start trimming and shaping their eyebrows. You guys look like poo poo out there, it's embarrassing.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Grandmother of Five posted:

a friend of mine who was a hairdresser at various salons said that she stopped asking guys if they'd like their brows done because it wasn't uncommon for dudes to get aggressively angry about simply being asked.

I remember dudes used to get like that when the hairdressers at the salon I'd go to insisted that they were a "hair salon" not a "barber shop." Like dawg, the reason everyone thinks you're a fuckboy is because you are freaking out, not because you get your hair done at a salon.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

I carry my cat over my shoulder and pretend to burp him as if he was a human baby. I call him "my Lil' Dootz" and it's an adorable and awesome thing I do. His name is Gordon and it's the best name for a cat as well.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Bill Withers is the greatest person to ever make music, bar none.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

My unpopular opinion is that being unemployed sounds loving incredible. Get up when you like, sleep as long as you want, watch youtube videos and play videogames all day, exercise more, learn how to cook, don't worry about coming into work 5 days a week, don't stress about bullshit numbers or customer satisfaction.

Sounds no bad compared to being constantly exhausted, being woken by an alarm at 6:00am every day, spending 40 hours a week having to pretend you give a poo poo about costs and codes, feeling your leisure time is to precious to waste to the extent you end up doing nothing, putting half your wage into a mortgage because you don't want to be in debt and paying off interest for years, eating takeaways because gently caress cooking when its 7 at night and you've been away for 12 hours, worrying about your car repairs because you don't want to triple your travel time by getting the bus, getting fat because you spend 18 hours sitting and 6 lying down.

Yup. Being unemployed sounds loving great.

Your mortgage and bills don't disappear when your job does. Being unemployed means trying to hold your poo poo together with 40% less money. Sounds like you haven't really thought this through.

Aramek posted:

We know, we know, we know, we know, we know...

:v:
Ha!

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" is one of the greatest collections of poetry. That being said, you can read about 4 pages of it and get the gist of the whole thing.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Hurricane malt liquor tastes pretty good. It certainly has more flavor than the beers other people would be drinking when talking poo poo on Hurricane. Dos Equis is okay, if a bit skunky, it is not better than Hurricane.

If there was no wrestling, there would be no rap music about Ric Flair, ergo wrestling is good, but I will not watch it.

Issac Hayes' cover of "Close to You" is better than The Carpenters' in every way.

Dragon's Dogma is a boring video game, and is strong evidence for why making every game open-world is a bad idea.

↓↓↓nah↓↓

Tony Bologna has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Feb 10, 2017

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Finding something different to eat everyday is painfully tedious, just eat the same simple thing forever.

Also chocolate is the worst, and gently caress ice cream, basically anything sweet that isn't fruit is trash, except cherries, they suck too.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

gleebster posted:

I don't know if I agree (Karen C. had a sweet, clear voice), but I thank you for informing me of this recording's existence. It is choice.

Oh nice, I'm glad you liked it! I recommend the entire "Black Moses" album really, Hayes also does a tremendous cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Man's Temptation" on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUZIb38ctrk

Baronjutter posted:

If your chocolate is sweet you're eating the wrong chocolate. 75%+ or gently caress off.

It could be 100% and I would still gladly gently caress off. Sorta joking, the only time I've ever enjoyed chocolate is when eating mole.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Dennis Coles is the one true Ironman, Robert Downey Jr. is the worst and I hate seeing him in movies.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Now you've got me thinking of the entire MCU cast being replaced with the Wu-Tang Clan

I can guarantee you the Wu-Tang Clan has thought about that exact thing and discussed it at great lengths more than once.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Danny Brown's voice isn't annoying.

Hip-hop skits need to make a comeback, especially since more rappers seem to take themselves less seriously.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Period.

It's absolutely worth the money to see someone DJ if they do it right and don't just press play on a laptop. I saw Biz Markie DJ on his 50th birthday and it was amazing.

Speaking of The Biz, I legitimately prefer him singing "Benny and The Jets" over Elton John.

I mean listen to this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuS9H6eTuw

Tony Bologna has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Feb 18, 2017

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

"Apocalypse Now" is a better movie than "Heart of Darkness" is a novella.

Princess Peach is the best Smash Bros. character, followed by Ganondorf.

I am more miserable hearing "Tears in Heaven" then Clapton was when he was inspired to write it.

I think the man-bun is fine. Just call it a bun though and embrace a whole new world of poo poo you can do with your hair. You don't need to prefix it with "man" to wear a little side chignon.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

this is not the unpopular facts thread, sir.

Oh sorry. Let me amend that.

The biggest problem with putting pineapple on pizza is putting perfectly good fruit on the greasy hosed up mess that is pizza. Pizza is everything great; bread, sauce, and cheese slapped together in ungodly amounts it's gonna be a hard pass from me, thank you.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Lay's can kindly gently caress off with that "do us a flavor" nonsense. The "best flavor" contest was over the minute they brought all-dressed chips to the US.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because it costs the same as regular deodorant. If you're gonna pay for something then get the most poo poo put in it! It's why I always buy the "severe migraine" headache medicine. If its strong enough to stop that then its strong enough to fix a slight headache. Why use a thumb tack if you have a railroad spike?

And thus, America's opioid problem.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Tea is better than coffee. I think it carries more pretense in the states than coffee does, but since so few people actually drink it daily, I've never heard people argue over whether Tazo is superior to Bigelow or whatever. So I can happily buy a huge box of Tetley for next to nothing and spent like a tenth of what I used to pay for coffee. Also it doesn't give me heartburn.

Expecting abstinence to work for alcoholics is just as stupid as expecting it to work as a form of birth control.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

I live in rural Texas where there's a huge influx of development going on, and I honestly wouldn't mind, but they don't seem to have any interest in interacting with the community that they are latching on to. Like we have lots of cute restaurants and an okay grocer, but you went and built a walmart and a strip mall tucked waaaay the gently caress inside that maze of homes. Plus all the walls they build are hideous.

Smoking is still cool as hell when you're real young, but as soon as you hit 25 that stock plummets hard and now your choices are expensive nicotine gum or vaping, and both of those are terrible looks.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

The new Zelda game looks just like every other open-world game, wander bored through an nondescript world then, oh look, a slightly larger mob that's ultimately uninteresting to fight.

Eminem is lyrically overrated.

Rock even at it's greatest will always pale in comparison to hip-hop.

Canned asparagus is good.

[edit] marijuana needs to be legalized for alcoholics that want to quit drinking but don't want to give up being hosed up. Sobriety isn't for everyone, and plenty of addicts could benefit from replacing one vice for a less harmful other (look at cigarette smokers that switch to vaping).

Tony Bologna has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Mar 3, 2017

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

If it ain't kung-fu or if the Marx brothers aren't in it, it's probably a waste of time to watch it.

Like I watched "M" and while it was good, I feel like I stuck around mostly because it's one of those films you have to watch, but honestly "Crippled Avengers" is a much better movie.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Sci-fi is all authoritarian garbage.

"Fahrenheit 451" and "1984" are on par with Mary Sue fan-fiction and would be mocked if published modern day.

"Sour Soul" should have won album of the year in 2015, and at least beat out "To Pimp a Butterfly" for best rap album of the year.

"Bill Withers Liive at Carnegie Hall" is the best live album of all time. gently caress Frampton, Springsteen, and Cash. The live version of "Grandma's Hands" will always make me cry.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not even the best live soul album of all time.

Please educate me then.

Das Boo posted:

Bradbury has an unusually warm and inviting style as opposed to most sci-fi writers. It's much more poetic than clinical, which is probably why he's one of the few I don't consider a slog to read. But I'd also say I'm more of a fan of his style than his content.

I haven't thought it out too clearly, but I might have the unpopular opinion that style is more important than substance in fiction. I can only remember the heavy-hitting lines from George Orwell's most famous stuff, but can recount entire sections of Shirley Jackson's work from how beautifully and vividly she wrote. I've remembered a story about a man's ugly orange plates for 12 years now because of how it was written.

I don't disagree, I just think it fumbles when you view it from a 21st century viewpoint.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, as far as rock albums and rock albums only go, the best live album of the 1970s was Live: Full House by the J. Geils Band.

Yeah, loving J. Geils Band, that's the one to go with. "Live and Dangerous," "At Fillmore East," and "Fillmore East" were definitely not better than a live album which only interesting bit is a mediocre harmonica solo.

Every attempt at a Budgie cover is catastrophically bad. Metallica's version of "Breadfan" is pretty bad. Iron Maiden's version "I Can't See My Feelings" is embarrassing to listen to, Soundgarden's cover of "Homicidal Suicidal" is actually really good, but whatever.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not into heavy metal and I don't tend to enjoy 20-minute jams. :shrug:

(Not sure which the second Fillmore East you're referring to is - I assume it's Zappa but it could be a lot of people.)

Yeah, Zappa. Is Thin Lizzy considered heavy metal?

Also, this might be a very regional popular opinion, but Rush should have dumped Alex Lifeson 40 years ago and made Kim Mitchell their guitarist.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh. You know, I'm not sure. I've always thought of them as a kind of proto-NWOBHM band, a bit like UFO and maybe the Michael Schenker Group, though obviously Lynott had a pretty unique voice for the genre.

Frankly, I'm a dreadful square who'd say Fighting era Thin Lizzy or, I don't know, something like Imagination Lady era Chicken Shack is probably about as heavy as he's happy to go in for. I mean, Live and Dangerous no doubt would be on my best live albums list for the 1970s but something like Live Bullet would probably be ahead of it. :shobon:

Speaking of MSG, I saw him live a few years ago, and he's got a bass player who is bald except for a huge braided ponytail on top of his head that he insists on spinning like a propeller during all the songs and everyone was whipping beers at the poor dude the entire set and it was amazing.

Baronjutter posted:

Music opinions are like telling people about the amazing dream you had.

At least it's largely innocuous.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thin Lizzy influenced metal (Mastodon and Overkill both have covers of Emerald) but they were really just the world's greatest bar rock band.

uh, a great bar rock band with the best guitar duo since Duane Allman and Dicky Betts? (lol if you count Judas Priest, K.K. Downing is a loving joke)

Off music, all fried things taste like oil and are terrible to eat. Fries, chips, tempura, all garbage. Eat a loving bell pepper you dongs.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

what about fried pickles

Never had one, but I imagine you eat them at TGI Fridays with ranch dressing and it's loving foul?

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I don't know. I get it, to one degree or another. Opera, for instance. I know there are legitimately people who like it. There are probably even people who like it without the background to enjoy it on a technical level.

There are a lot more people who claim to like it for reasons but, you know, don't.

The reason people like music is the same regardless of genre, attractive people. As a kid, adults used to be super impressed that I listened to "opera," but really Dmitri Hvorostovsky is just a beautiful man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

bradzilla posted:

you really think everyone's tastes in music are based on how attractive the artist is? :laffo:

It is unless you are the kind of person who listens to bad music. Chaka Khan, beautiful, great music. Robert Fripp, ugly, boring music.