Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Corn dogs are terrible and even the best corn dog in the world is just marginally better than eating a cold hot dog out of the pack in front of a fridge at 2am. They're one of the worst hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Living things can't be made out of silicon. Silicon is a metal. How would that even work?! What would be their blood? Sand? gently caress on outta here with this nonsense!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Nice try chief, but take a look at this:

That's metal. If it's shiny and hard it's metal... unless it's some kind of wood, obviously, but silicon is definitely not wood and I will die on that hill.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Being Joe Rogan seems kinda awesome. Just sit around chatting to your friends all day getting high and getting paid millions for it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
They're better at Bart than I am.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Sunswipe posted:

All sports need to gently caress off, with the exception of The Running Man and Robot Jox.

I'm demanding The Running Man and Robot Jox. Super Baseball 2020 lied to me, to you, to all of us! Instead of having awesome robots and jet packs we have regular boring human pitchers putting gorilla glue on baseballs. We're essentially owed new sports for recompense.

They have 24 hours to comply. :colbert:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Nope, we didn't have mandatory language classes in my state. But we did have mandatory physical education from grades k-12, which I guess all states don't have either.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I loved gym! We got to climb like a thirty foot rope to the ceiling with nothing but an inch of wrestling mats below us incase we fell. Which no one did. Because you'd die so you just didn't let go of the rope.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
We got lots of open space to make good roads. Europe is stuck using their garbage poo poo roads they can never improve or layout properly. Some pig farmer in 1215 decided to build a shed, right loving there, forcing the road to narrow, then some famous Cardinal in 1410 blessed the pig shack or something so now it's a landmark and Pig Farm Road can never be widened from when it was a horse lane even though its the only way into or out of the city center.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol that americans can't drive a car with a gear stick

I used to think this was bullshit, but I'm the the only person in my circle of friends that knows how to drive stick. Basically everyone in my extended family knew how, so I thought everyone did until I moved out of the small town I'm from.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Has a trunk.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Scrambled eggs are the best eggs because you can order them in a greasy spoon by saying "wreck 'em." That's cool.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Unkempt posted:

I mean, I wouldn't daub myself in it, but it's got a pretty fresh grassy country smell that I associate with growing up in a farm-y area. It's not a bad smell. It's nothing like dog poo poo.

I grew up in a small farming community so I'm very familiar with that smell. It is, in fact, a not good smell.

edit:
Not trying to take anything away from your wistfulness of smells from your youth. Anytime I smell burning sugar I think of the time my grandma forgot she was making me hot chocolate and it makes me happy.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Joburg posted:

Cheap eggs are an abomination. One egg takes one hen 26 hours to make. If a company can feed and house 12 hens and make a profit for anything less than $4, you can be sure those hens lead a lovely, lovely life. Stop buying cheap eggs, you are complicit in animal torture.

You may not be wrong, but chickens are super cheap to feed and shelter. It's been a long time but I think 50lb bags of chicken feed were like $10 when I was a kid.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

christmas boots posted:

Uh, poetry isn't always about rhyming either.

All the good ones do, though.

With the exception of The Iliad. That was a good non-rhyming poem.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Stanning the Illiad but the Odessey is too far

No, man.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Just buy snap-tite models and paint everything a uniform matte grey if you got shaky hands. You can tell everyone it's a model of a CGI model.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
To be fair I was only half joking. I was never good at painting models, but loved building them. That's why I started only building WW2 US Navy planes. Super easy to paint everything blue.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

oldpainless posted:

It’s called the Prime Directive dumbass

More like oldprohibitsStarfleetpersonnelandspacecraftfrominterferinginthenormaldevelopmentofanysocietyandmandatesthatanyStarfleetvesselorcrewmemberisexpendabletopreventviolationofthatruleless.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

hawowanlawow posted:

I am thinking about getting a dude towed for leaving his car with a busted tire and rim parked in front of my building for like six months at this point

Like, I hate to do that, but little old ladies are having to walk across the parking lot in the heat and poo poo

Also I'd bet a dollar the dude did it hitting a curb driving drunk

Don't feel bad. It's basically been abandoned. Feel even less bad because it's making life difficult for other people. gently caress that person.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think the one true form of society has yet to reveal itself. :ninja:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Gritty was invented to draw customers to a sports entertainment subsidiary of Comcast Holdings

Just like in the old days!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
No one on here is real anyways. We're all just various aspects of Dare reregs. Like Split, but mostly focused on video games and pun chains.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

fizzymercury posted:

MY SWEET BABY JESUS THE SMELL.

I was there in the middle of summer and the entire city smelled like a Red Lobster dumpster. Still worth it for Coop's jambalaya.

Edit:
I just realized it was so good that I still remember the name of the place having visited it only once well over 10 years ago. Goddamn is the food good down there.

Robobot has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jun 30, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lol that's weekend trip driving distance

Imagine driving a few hours and complaining things aren't different than where you started

Talking to Europeans about the size and scale of the US is always fun. They always lord "you never leave your country" like it's easy for someone in middle America to just up and leave. Telling them I drove for 28 hours straight averaging about 70mph and barely got about 2/3rds of the way across usually puts it into some perspective.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Bring back old timey unitards for men to swim in:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The French invented mixing butter and garlic, so they get a lot of leeway from me. If they want men to wear stupid looking swimsuits then more power to them.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Huge if true.

Sorry, just making a joke because it seems as if every ideology has different levels of who it's okay to kill.

It's OK to kill people that disagree with you. It's not OK for people that disagree with you to kill people that disagree with them. It's really that simple.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
All society is evil unless everyone gets to do exactly what they want.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Platystemon posted:

But really, pummelos are what grapefruits aspire to be, and they’re sweet enough to need nothing.

Isn't that tequila and grapefruit juice?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
If you're "self-diagnosing" things like that, you really should go speak to an actual doctor/therapist. You're not qualified to make that kind of determination on yourself.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Pre-self diagnosis:

Why are these sounds driving me insane, why can't I make eye contact some days.

Why do I have no negative feelings, until one day I just get overwhelmed and go into a depression spiral.

Why can't I ever advocate for my own needs and can't stand up for myself?

Post-self diagnosis:

Oh, I'm autistic and I'm experiencing sensory overload. Take a minute to calm down, spend some time and stim.

I have negative feelings, I just don't know I have them. Start to look for the "sad" building up early, and prevent the spiral in advance.

Oh I'm traumatized by my childhood, and have no self-worth. I need to push through these feelings of fear and do things for me, I'm not going to get in trouble.

But I guess since I'm not qualified for this I'll stop. I'll just go back to being a miserable lump since I made these realizations myself, and learned ways to deal with these issues myself.

I wasn't attacking you, I was suggesting speaking to a professional about those feelings as well. If you don't want to or can't afford it then keep doing what you're doing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You're right, I shouldn't have suggested them to speak with a professional.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Telling someone to speak to a professional is good.

Telling someone that the only way to progress is to speak to a professional is not.

I had a buddy with "self diagnosed" PTSD commit suicide because he thought he had everything under control. I encourage you to speak to someone that went to medical school about this stuff. Using tik tok to diagnose PTSD isn't the same as speaking to someone that is qualified to diagnose it.

Can't believe "see a doctor if you think you're sick" is such an unpopular opinion, but it is what it is. If you're employed ask your HR if there's any work sponsored therapy they offer. Most large companies have programs like that set up that no one uses.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

nurmie posted:

in my experience, people who go on about self-diagnoses being unviable and "pity points" (whatever that means) and who like indulging in policing just what mental health issues should be considered "viable" and "serious" tend to be infinitely more horrible than an odd "faking it" kind of person. they're also much, much more common

this loving thread sometimes, i swear

Or it's someone that genuinely thinks you should speak to someone that has been through medical school if you're in pain. Telling people therapy doesn't work or isn't important is some scientology poo poo.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm glad you're in therapy.

edit:
I'm a little high right now, so think I was projecting some of what my friend went through onto you. My apologies for how it all came out, I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

That's very understandable, and I'm sorry you experienced that.

I'm just annoyed by how pervasive the attitude of mental health not being "real" until you sit in a room and get examined by a doctor is. I don't think that's what you intended to say, but that's how it came across to me.

And dipshit above saying I'm here for pity points was very cruel and really put me on edge.

Yeah, my buddy was one of those "I know what's wrong, so talking about it won't help" guys and it just tore me up that he knew something was really wrong but didn't/couldn't bring himself to try and fix it. The whole "therapy can't/doesn't work" stigma needs to go away forever.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Death of the author" is a completely different concept than separating artist from art.

Most of this forum is mid-30 year olds posting like angry teenagers. Expecting us to know what phrases mean is asking a bit too much.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

I was kind of bewildered by the Johnny Cash revival at the time. I unfortunately grew up in a classic country household so I knew his library, which is the twangiest hodown maudlin kitsch peppered with overt Christian messaging.

But the abstract Cash aesthetic that caught on was dark, rebellious punk. I wonder where that came from? Was it marketing, or did the Cash brand evolve that way organically?

I always wondered that myself, and I'm pretty sure it was a combination of him having a small bad boy streak and marketing. Every punk fan I know loves Johnny Cash even though he's about as antiestablishment as a church bake sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Remember, Roy Orbison also had that same kind of "bad boy" image. Back in the day putting on black jeans and a black shirt is all it took to be rebellious.