Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do you think are some of the best miniatures in the whole range? Regardless of rules.

Necrosphinx (oop)
Both Wight Kings
Ironjawz Warboss (even though he looks like a space marine in terminator armor)
Khorne War Priests and bloodreavers (their best buff dudes yet, although rest of bloodbound is a bit busy looking)
Varanguard
Chaos Lord (unmounted plastic guy)
Gaunt Summoner
Coven Throne/Mortis Engine
New Lord of Change
Tzaangors on Discs
Mistweaver Saih (maybe when the rest of the "aelves" get sigmarined they will look like this?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Moola posted:

from the modern era?

Deathblood Bloodshitters

I think they really improved on the design of the Murderfuck Deathbloods

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

To be fair, that was some random GIS's garrosh bloodpriest and not the GW house style, but the sculpt looks pretty similar, too. I just like the model because it actually seems to have ordinary proportions.

Also, it isn't covered with as much crap as most of the other guys. I'm indifferent about the names because it's kind of cool in a 13 year old metal head way but I think that the house color scheme and busy models of the GW khorne guys makes it look like this red black and bronze sea of garbage sometimes.

Less garrosh:

Things that 1990's me would have been surprised are still around in 2017:
High Elf Coneheads
Orruk' Ardboys with the proportions of babies
Khorne guys with lattice work helmets and all sorts of trinkets.
Kemmler's model
<Ironic comment about games workshop etc etc here>

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 17, 2017

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing with "four pages of rules" vs "but it's covered in a Warscroll" is that it means there aren't really four pages of rules, so any argument that AoS removed bloat or simplified things is less than an accurate assessment.

I genuinely don't know this so I'm asking, is there a single file or app that consolidates all the published Warscrolls into one place or do you have to shuffle through a punch of different PDFs to find the one you need? I guess players are free to print Warscrolls, but then that's just putting the burden of making a functional rulebook onto the players. I guess this is why it always looks like the guys playing AoS at my FLGS have to check three or four different books during the game. There's the main rules, whatever Warscrolls they've printed, various Battletomes, and then the General's Handbook.

It's in the free app in the Warscrolls section for terrain. Which basically serves like an index with pictures. It's not so bad, tbh.

E: X-Wing isn't much different in this regard, with rules for ships and upgrades distributes on many different cards. But it's fine. Thumbing through giant rule books never seemed much better

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 22, 2017

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

A staple of modern design is not having giant rulebooks.

I'm learning Infinity right now and it seems pretty giant, still. From the perspective of X-wing, board games, and experience with old mini game giant rule books, at least.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

They'd make p good counts as fleshhounds in a tzeentch demons army.

Hell, maybe use them instead of horrors in a tzeentch mortals army

edit: or maybe little babby horrors riding on top of puppos

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They probably want to give them the allegiance bonus stuff for picking stormcast instead of Order, sort of like Sylvaneth and Tzeentch. I thought they would just update everything in a GHB 2 or something. I guess they want to update the precious golden guys earlier but seems heavy to make a whole book for that. Anyways that's my theory.

Maybe they do that for Bloodbound, too, since they could probably use the help more

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Supposedly James Hewitt from mantic did Silver Tower, Gorechosen, the Sylvaneth battle tome, and some of the new Bloodbowl rules (they don't accredit their designers because hams threaten to kill them lol). Not sure if he was involved with Tzeentch stuff. I think he did the Dark Eldar boxed game, too.

So some of these changes in direction could be the presence of new talent. I agree that they should get their poo poo together and should have just released the GHB and Sylvaneth-style battletome out of the gates.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah they ironically actually seem like one of the more fun factions to play right now

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Comrade Merf posted:

So the latest version of a fan made skirmish/campaign ruleset called Hinterlands came out a few days ago and it caught on like a wildfire in my local meta so I'll drop a link for it here as well.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4845563/Zandronum/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

If someone had told me a year ago that the game I most looked forward to playing in the week was AoS I would have laughed in your face but here I am. 2017 is turning out to be a really weird year.

This is cool, thanks

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SRM posted:

GW's being pretty transparent about the second General's Handbook, and they're playtesting some of the changes at an event soon:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/07/the-generals-handbook-ii-wip-points-sneak-peek/

It's cool to see them finally doing something like yearly updates across the line. Now if they just make a new Mordheim-style skirmish campaign game using the existing Age of Sigmar models a la Silver Tower, I think I will be convinced they have mostly removed the pants from their head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The way activations have been described in FFG's Rune Wars sounds neat, with dials (similar to x-wing) where you hide a selection of a paired up action and initiative. Some actions require you to have worse initiative for the round. Then you reveal them and activate in initiative order.

If they make another Mordheim style game, I hope they introduce alternating activations there.

• Locked thread