Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
*map (title typo :()

I'm pretty confused by this!

Here the disk connected via a USB dock:

Things are good! This is the partition map I expect. I can access the files on the exFAT partition.

Here's the same disk on onboard SATA:

Things are bad! What are these partitions?

I've tried both an Intel SATA port and a 3rd party chipset SATA port on my mobo with the same result. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170X-UD which is pretty recent, so I'd think 4TB (for example) wouldn't be an issue. My firmware is up-to-date.

I'm on Windows 10 x64.

Any ideas, friends?

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Another example - another 4TB disk that exhibits the same problem:

USB:

Correct!

SATA:

Nope!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are you using the same USB dock in both of these examples? Were the drives formatted while attached via USB or SATA?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you using the same USB dock in both of these examples?

Yep! This one.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Were the drives formatted while attached via USB or SATA?

It's a good question, but I do not remember!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Sabrent site seems to leave much to be desired in terms of support, but it does look like there is a firmware update for that dock on there:

https://www.sabrent.com/download/ds-ublk-firmware-update/

You could also verify the driver being used and make sure it is the one from their site and not some generic USB driver.

• Locked thread