Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MrLonghair posted:

While not getting any event units but a trio of Xiao Ni Ma, I got a second Edgar. If I were to do the double-edgar combo chain monster squad, would I just surf along on their hit-chains or would they best be outfitted with elemental weapons and more?

Chainsaw meta is best with elemental chains (which have slightly broader windows than normal hit chains and I.. think stack with them? I could be wrong on that second part) since Edgar's not gonna be winning any awards for damage on his own, the idea is to filter your DPS units through the absurd chain multipliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Benthalus posted:

Considering Gumi's terrible history with coding mistakes, it may actually not exist in the game, or at least be unobtainable.

It's like the Sky Orb in the first two years of Brave Frontier: Bait for apk injectors. Granted, once people got to that point legitimately, then they had to look for plurals, but as it stands it's a remarkably solid lure for idiots with more hacking skill than common sense.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MohShuvuu posted:

Ramza and Ace will both be gods when enhancements come out.

It's worth noting, though, that Global Exclusive units are big fat question marks as to what enhancements could do. They could just be dipshits and not release any enhancements for any of them, or they could make the likes of Yun and Noel and Elza just as god-tier. :shrug: Nobody knows.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McSpankWich posted:

I'm pretty sure the only global exclusives that were limited time were Elza and the halloween units. All the ones since then have been added to the general pool.

edit: JK it turns out the only other global exclusives were the Medius and Cerius 6* upgrades, which isn't the same thing. Anywho, they haven't really hinted at them taking Yun and Ling OUT of the pool, but it would definitely make me pull harder than I currently am before the event ends.

Noel is sad that you forgot him.

But that's okay since he's never coming back either.

KDdidit posted:

It feels like Tales From the Aquapolis has been up for a month.

Apparently something bugged out with it, so they brought it back for a second full event period.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sooner or later we'll get some pants on head retarded GE that makes Orlandu look like a joke, but Elza and Yun aren't even close to Orlandu's level.

Comparing Elza and Orlandu is apples and oranges, one mostly ends up being support while the other turns into raw DPS.

That said, she still loses out massively compared to even our nerfed Noctis. She's not BAD by any means, but she's not Noctis level.

Yun could be Orlandu tier, except his weapon selection is flimsier, his big nuke is weaker, and his non-nuke options are a lot narrower. On paper he's as close as Global's gotten so far, though. Consider him the mid-way point between Mercedes and Orlandu.

McSpankWich posted:

Why not? They're not timing it with a game release or something like Noctis was.

Unless FF7 Remake hits out of nowhere in the next month or two, that is. (Nah, it's not happening.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 1, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MohShuvuu posted:

Excalibur/Deathbringer if you include TMRs.

Excalibur and Deathbringer are Greatswords/L Swords.

The passive only works on normal swords, and Enhancer is the second strongest (Delita's TMR, the Moonblade, is the current strongest).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Niton posted:

Next week's banner is.. Secret of Mana collab? With Randi getting several powerful new passives?

How powerful we talking here? He was already kind of Delita-tier before, and that was like five banners back. They're delaying Orlandu and the crowds will be getting restless.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PaybackJack posted:

Question for Aegis and Katarani(or anyone else that follows JP):

What base 3-4* units are coming down the pipeline that are close to base 5 level at 6*?

All I know is what I dig up on the Reddit wiki on repeated dives, so I don't really "follow". Cao Ni Ma covered the major new base 4* players, but to clarify:
  • Rikku (released on Tidus's second banner) is one of the best support units in the game, bar-none. She's meta-worthy even on Altema.
  • Ashe and Rasler (released alongside Balthier/with Vaan 6*) are both solid if slightly underwhelming compared to a base-5*. They're both perfectly capable of performing well.
  • Meliadoul (on the Merc Ramza/Knight Delita banners) is basically a picking of (current) Ramza and Delita's utility skills and makes a good replacement for a Full Breaker if you need one.
  • Viktoria (on the Veritas banners) is basically a poor man's Dark Fina, and trumps pretty much every mage out there save for her, Trance Terra and maybe Ace.
  • When we get the second Type-0 banner, it's worth noting that Nine is probably a better 6* than Queen - whereas the latter gets Barrage and some really weird passives, the former is basically a souped up Kain and the first 6* Dragoon-type character other than Gilgamesh and Noctis, who kind of don't count the same.
  • On the "collabs we may or may not get" front, the Dragon Quest Monsters collab brings Orochi, who is a solid wall of meat, and the Monster Hunter collab brings Hunter Nichol, who is the only base-4* unit I know of with baked-in Dual Wield. He doesn't get all that much to do with it (only normal swords and daggers, somewhat lacking skillset) but Dual Wield is that busted.

New Base 3*s don't really get to see 6* forms, but there's a slow trickle of legacy characters that get them over the next few months. Notably:
  • The thread has talked plenty about Firion and how he's basically Trust Mastery Voltron. His 6* should be coming whenever we get the FF2 Emperor Mateus gacha/event. Should be within the next month or so.
  • Tilith and Maxwell aren't Base 3*, but they should both be getting 6*s...assuming a second BF collab happens. Since we already got the Maxwell fight, it may not. :shrug:
  • Terra's 6* comes alongside her base-5* Trance form ending up in the gacha, and while it's not quite as good, it's still a solid enough bootleg. Sadly, Kefka's time in the limelight is long gone, his 6* is kind of bad.
  • Vaan 6* comes with the Balthier banner and... eh. I'm not impressed; it doesn't add too much more than a stat bump. I'd honestly say I'd rather have Rain 6* than Vaan 6*, and one of them is free.
  • Warrior of Light and Garland both get 6*s at some point in the future, changing them from "well, they exist" to "third best tank after Cecil and Charlotte (and in the running for best Full Breaker)" and "doublehand Lightning". Garland probably won't be as absurd here due to the lack of stacking Doublehand buffs, but he's still got the same elemental suite.
  • Speaking of Charlotte, she gets her 6* around the Veritas event and may even beat Cecil for best tank.
  • Back on the base-4* level, Agrias and Gaffgarion get 6*s around the Merc Ramza banner. Agrias turns into a mini-Orlandu, Gaff into a mini-DK Cecil. (Agrias, obviously, is the winner there.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AegisP posted:

WoL's tied with Wilhelm for 1st, with Charlotte in 3rd, and Cecil down in 5th for tanks on the most recent altema rankings. They're close enough, though, so each of them are more than decent.

Huh. Something changed, since last I'd heard (pre-Charlotte 6*) he was in second with Wilhelm/Cecil at top. Did they finally give him enhancements?

But yeah, it really depends on what you need - WoL brings Full Break (and then some, given that he gets AoE breaks, too), Cecil has Curaja, Charlotte has an Esunaga baked into her shield. (Wilhelm's a Base 5* and is a taunt tank instead of a cover tank, but that just means he beats out Snow and Noct instead, really.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 1, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man, I keep somehow mistiming my item for the Trust Moogle, and I'm running out of items. I either pop it off too early, and the thing isn't dead yet, or I pop it off too late and it burns the item without actually doing anything.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Actually come to think of it I'd prob be better dropping chiz when there are human bosses and keeping both ling and cod in there. Anyone else finding her to be super useful? Maybe once 6 star WoL rolls out he will be better but for now she's pretty drat radical

If you don't need your support to do damage all the time then she's absolutely top shelf for now, and the only thing that puts WoL ahead of her is that he does damage with his breaks and is also a tank. Ling, conversely, is the reason you need tanks, because she's entirely as squishy as a 5* character.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

If FFBE is a Brave Frontier successor, then FE: Heroes is basically Phantom of the Kill but less bullshit. Time will tell if it stays less bullshit, but for now, having a proper rolling gacha is already a huge step past any Gumi game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Those of us in the discord just got to see a heartbreaking display - 9 11x pulls and 60 tickets chasing Randi.

Not even one rainbow crystal over 159 pulls. Enough Popois to smash together two whole TMRs, though. :saddowns:

The moral: Never pullchase. Not even for Orlandu. This can and likely will happen to you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hagie posted:

Is Blizzard Flask not considered magic?

Definitely used it to kill the Lich for my 1st go round...didn't get the reward. I mean this is easy enough to just go back and re-do it, but that's weird.

Anything that has the crystal "icon" after you select it to use counts as an ability, even if it uses the character's MAG stat to do damage. Magic has a different icon. Generally speaking*, the only things that count as magic are bog standard White Magic (Cure, Esuna, Dispel, etc, includes Holy), bog standard Black Magic (Fire/Blizzard/Thunder etc, includes Meteor and Ultima) and Green Magic (Protectga, Shellga, Deprotect/Deshell, Imperil, and any Bar spells).

* I say "generally speaking" because there's some sort of circumstances that make me fail "Don't use magic" missions using LBs and summoning espers, but it's inconsistent and I'm not sure what the exact rules for those are.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dias posted:

If you're in doubt, check Exvius Wiki, but yeah, usually the only things considered "magic" damage are traditional FF spells or abilities by pure magic units.

Nope, just the traditional FF spells. If something says you need to kill a boss with magic, things like Wicked Light (Exdeath) or Dystopia (Dark Fina) will not count. That said, since most of the solid mage units have some variant of dualcast, just use that as your watermark. If it can be dualcasted, it counts.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PaybackJack posted:

I laughed when I saw how much that axe costs. These events are pure exploitation of the system in the worst way. Either you are forced to spend tons of Lapis on NRG refreshes to get the best stuff, or you need to roll multiple of the banner 5* base in order to bring that number down. Most players will end up somewhere in the middle getting a couple units that bring that number down but not enough to save them from still doing a ton of refreshes.

These King Mog events were good when they first came around too. Each one seems worse than the last.

Honestly, the axe and the skill materia are the only real sticklers; the rest of it seems par for the course. Still, I think this is the first time they've ever made something (other than limit pots) cost more than either of the trust moogles. That poo poo's fuckin' ridiculous.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

That's pretty painful. At least it's a two week long thing. I feel a cactaur dunes or maze event incoming soon...

Gil Snapper Cave was this week, so next week? Welp. Hello Dunes.

That's stupidly easy to predict, by the way - the cycle is Chamber of Crystals -> Gil Snapper Cave -> Cactuar Dunes -> Repeat. And yes, they space out King Mog events so that Cactuar Dunes will almost always hit right at the start or in the middle of a grindfest.

Alpha Mayo posted:

He is pretty mediocre for a base 5* right now. The main problem with Randi is that he lacks damaging abilities. He basically has two moves:
-Slice Thrice, 215% ST damage, applies 35% DEF break, costs 30mp
-Full Moon slash (event materia), 162% effective ST damage, 25% Full Break, 23mp

He also doesn't have defensive utility or AoE. Purely physical DPS with mild breaking abilities and decent Killer passives.

His enhancements will make him much better in the future, possibly even top-tier. He will gain wind damage, 100% ATK for using sword (instead of 35%), native Doublehand, +100% stat self-buff, faster LBs, a good AoE attack, and a very strong,10-hit ST attack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/330

tl;dr: Randi is a Base 5* Firion with fewer Mastery skills, a better TMR, and slightly better futureproofing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

Isn't his futureproofing based largely on enhancements and doublehand? Whereas what they'll do for enhancements, if we get them, are entirely up in the air and doublehand doesn't stack in global?

Firion's futureproofing is equally based on enhancements in order to give him a damaging move and beef up his Killer passives. I'll grant the doublehand fact, but from all I've heard you can still double up with native DH+a single TMR DH; you just can't stack multiples.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HGH posted:

drat, congrats dude.
We can still get Ling and Yun in the future right?

Literally every global exclusive has been limited time. Ace is the one exception in that he's a JP character with a global-exclusive skill.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

i actually have now acquired a third snow, which i forgot to mention when i did but i was going to ask how realistic it would be to need three of his TM. i am guessing its not that nuts since two are going on firion and i presume he's not the only decent fist unit ever

Yun is obvious (if he's in the general use gacha instead of being limited time), as is Gilgamesh (which just requires getting super lucky). When we get to that point, Rikku really loves having a Champion Belt or two, too, since her only options for weapons are daggers, knuckles, and throwing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Victis posted:

While they're available you can pull them anywhere... Banners just give a bonus to the chance.

I can confirm that, having pulled my Elza off the Dark Destroyers banner back when it was out.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shoenin posted:

Them's fighting words
Buffets are never bad news

No, but Chinese buffets are always food poisoning. Those with weak stomachs would best be wary.

Nuebot posted:

Cool, there are whales defending the decision not to fix the rolls. Well, I guess the players of this game deserve whatever bullshit they get.

I look forward to this getting put in then bans handed out to macro users.

Stockholm syndrome is a hell of a thing.

Also, of course whales would defend the decision. Having the biggest e-peen isn't as fun when everyone's got a chance for huge digital swagdicks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

well the good news about that nightmare future is that they didnt stick some really overpowered tm behind elite. i know we've been talking about how its sorta silly that they slapped 15% attack in there that people who beat this are much less likely to even have much of a use for, but they could have put a really strong tm back there and then balanced future idiot whale content around having gotten that tm now and progressively making it more impossible

Maxwell says hi.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McSpankWich posted:

I think the SoM characters are permanently in the gacha. I could be wrong though.

You are wrong. The collab units are the only limited time units that are as such even in Japan. They might rerelease them, but the SoM units, Crystal Defenders units (Fencer, Juggler, Thief), the Dragon Quest Monsters units, the Brave Frontier units - all of those are only around for their specific event and not going into the general gacha.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Varance posted:

Celtic Cerius and Blarney Bedile

Drunkard Duane and Sauced Shadow.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hamsystem posted:

If you don't have a blade mastery what's the next best option? Viking axe?

In the lack of a good TMR mastery skill to further accentuate Firion's skills, attack power goes Viking Axe -> Demon Scythe -> Excalibur/Deathbringer -> Moonblade -> Kaiser Knuckles.

It's worth noting that the three swords will boost defense more but attack less compared to the axe/spear/fist, due to the differences in Firion's own multitude of intrinisic mastery skills.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

It's the Fin Briar one they talk about, yeah. They keep saying it's good. :shrug:

Enhancements make it worthwhile.

Yeah. Them again.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

this hasnt been true of any character so far. they might also release a hot dog launcher but i wouldnt bet money on it

Yeah, there've been Base 5*s that have been given new skills (Ace, Randi) but to this day there hasn't been any changes on legacy characters getting their 6*s.

I don't expect there to be, either - Randi and Ace got skill additions in order to try to make them more appealing to the whales, since otherwise they're several months behind the Dark Fina/pre-Orlandu power curve.

On the other hand, legacy 6*s have been in the gacha forever, and most people have one or more of them. They wouldn't give them anything new to incentivize further spending because there's no reason for many people to spend further. There's no demand even if they get stronger.

Enhancements, on the other hand - that's another level of Relentless, Soul-Destroying Grind on top of their already lucrative TMR racket. The top items needed for enhancements tend to go for 100k event currency even in current day JP events. I could see them adding new enhancements to get more people to shell out for bonus units and/or refreshes and/or bundles. THAT, I would not be surprised by.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 14, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

Maybe Gumi is right and trust moogles are the most broken thing in the history of the world. That explains why even a 5% trust moogle has to be locked behind some really insane bullshit.

They would be, if macro TM farming was a bannable offense.

Because Dual Wield is the most broken thing in the history of the world.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You know, this is an incredibly minor thing to get pissy about, but usually when you're identifying special attacks, you use Capital Letters since it's technically a proper name.

This just reads like highschool fan FAQ.

(:goonsay:)

Shoenin posted:

What the hell happened to Guy's face

Beavers, man.

EDIT: Also, RIP anyone who just spent 50k elf cum on the Mana event axe, here's one almost as good, no grinding required.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

yeah but they'll accidentally release a totally accidentally busted character during the fourth of july event, fred hotdogs, who has innate tricast somehow on his aoe ignore defense nuke

Why would they need to make a hotdog-based OC? They can just use Zell. :v:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are honestly trying to stretch out this poo poo so the ffxiv banner lands on stormbloods release. At that time we'll be like a year behind japan.

Hell maybe they'll have the ffxiv event running while they have a parity stormblood banner on as well. Would be a great promo

Par for the course for Gumi; in some of its features, Brave Frontier global was two years behind. (Ask us how long it took to get Raids. COMING SOON!)

With Square-Enix proving (via Mobius and Unchained, both untouched by third-parties) that they can be just as ruthless and cash-hungry as Gumi ever was, I feel like the FFXIV event will be Global's "parity" banner. And we'll be expected to praise the game because LOOK AT ALL THIS FREE SWAG.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I mean he's good but he's no johnny hamburger. I'd just save for him.

Excuse you, his name is johnny fiveguys.

(Imagine five bediles on the edge of a cliff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cartoon Man posted:

The last time Gumi did a players choice banner, we got Lightning the next banner...use your tickets wisely.

Don't be silly. This new Choice banner is what we're getting instead of Orlandu, not before him. :v:

• Locked thread