Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Apparently BF caught up and finished all of their cooperative rewards in that promotion, so we just got 1 Summon Ticket and 500 lapis in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Hmm, apparently if you can time it correctly, and Bartz isn't at full hp, if you Life Giver and then land a Heal before Life Giver's animation finishes, Bartz doesn't die. It seems Life Giver deals 100% of Bartz's current hp in damage to himself, snapshotted at the moment you use the skill or shortly thereafter.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I wouldn't advise using my Elza for Antonella until I can get that neutral-element Spear tomorrow, and get her properly setup to tackle it.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Did you kill the main body before the appendages? If it dies before the rest, they wipe your team.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Reminder: Arena reset in 2 hours 15 minutes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Cloud does have a rate up going on at the moment, but both of them are typically rarer than your general 3*. Pulling both of them, perfectly great units, in your first three pulls is lucky, yes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Sounds like compensatory lapis to me!

(seriously though, that sucks for people still trying to farm the event currency)

Edit: Oh man, new Arena bans: Recovery Abilities, Status Altering Abilities. RIP Healers.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Chen Kenichi posted:

And helloooooooooo SPACE ROCKS!!!!

If my Elza didn't have Reap Blood, I'd be crying. Madness Rush is banned because it alters statuses (increases your LB gauge).

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Trilin posted:

I don't really see how it could be worthwhile, you'd get better value just spending your lapis to refresh energy.

Even the 350 bundle is of dubious value at this point when keys/phoenix down/quartz are plentiful.

If you're very low rank, it might be worth it in comparison to refreshing lapis since you wouldn't get very many runs in. But as you gain rank, this becomes less appealing. It only having 2 tickets in the bundle and more of the filler extras is disappointing and offputting, though.

350 is worth it just for the ticket.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

In general: Don't buy Bundles. If there's a good one, some goon will post about it in the thread. IIRC, it's happened all of once in the thread, twice if you count the Head Start bundle duing soft launch.

Man, I miss the Early Bird Bundle :(

$6 for 1000 lapis and 2 summon tickets was great.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Antonella down. That was pretty easy, though the very first turn was an OH poo poo moment as Cecil took 6000+ hp in damage. I had him Provoke and I think every single plant part went "Yup, let's attack him". Good thing I'd recently switched strategies and built Cecil for pure HP. Once plant parts started dying, damage output by the boss quickly dropped off.

Bartz died 4 times...because I was using him to refill the MP of Refia, Elza, Lightning, and once on Cecil when Vampire hit him again. I am very amused by how useful Bartz is for that specifc job. Refia had been dualcasting Curajas every turn from the start of the fight, and when she dipped down to 30 mp I figured why not start trying out Bartz as an Infinite Elixir Generator and...yep, he works pretty well.

Incidentally, Elza's now setup for Plant killing, with neutral weapons and Plant Killer & Ifrit equipped. I was mostly using her to Ravaging Blow individual plants, and I think a Luneth friend is technically the preferred Friend Lead out there for this Trial on account of natural status immunities.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
You keep Lenna. She's your only Healer. Rydia is a specialty character that you use if you're trying to fulfill an Esper summon requirement very quickly (ie- you don't have the recovery potential to last in a long attrition fight to evoke normally).

Story missions should eventually be worked on, and not completely ignored. Espers are locked behind story content. You gain 100 lapis for fully clearing each story zone, on top of the new mission system where every sub-area now rewards you 50 lapis. Explorations can also give you recipes for materia and gear you might need.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Threw 8 tickets at the banner and now I have 3 more Exdeath, 1 Faris, and a Shantotto. Most excited about the Shantotto.

Big Bridge completed. ELT was pretty simple, though Gilgamesh did manage to dump everything into Cecil at one point and kill him from 6800 hp.

Fun note: Twin Lance + Dualwield does in fact make your basic attack hit 4 times. Which on Elza means a whole loy of LB crystals.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
A goon friend lead can carry you through at least the summon ticket stage. You probably need some damage for the Twin Lance, since that was the point at which the mook enemies wouldn't die to a since physical aoe.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Twin Lance on Lightning would probably be a nightmare. Every time you hit attack you'd be able to go make a sandwhich before it finishes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

m.hache posted:

So seeing as how we are getting nerfs in global (no double hand stacking) are the trials going to be tuned accordingly?

The only things that have been nerfed so far are Doublehand, and Maxwell's Trial. The latter was a very minor nerf (the encounter in JP begins with a Genesis as soon as the fight starts, and she has small ticking damage to your party members occasionally), so it's looking like the Doublehand nerf is an exception. Antonella's Trial, for instance, is buffed from JP, but that makes sense because we're a few months late on getting the Trial.

So they're adjusting Trials/Fights specifically to incorporate differing release schedules, but as we catch up with JP, this is likely to lessen.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The only wind damage coming from him is his Wind Slash AOE. Everything else is physical. It only seemed to do 1500 or so without any resistances up when I ran it, so it's not terribly hard hitting.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
We might want to get Support added to the OP as a character type eventually, once we start having actual support units show up. Carbuncle's Esper is the first thing with a support archetype built into its abilities, and it's making me sad how many people are advocating replacing Shiva with Carbuncle on their Healers. Healers just do not have the time, as these events and Trials get harder, to be doing anything other than Heal, Raise, or Status curing outside of the opening turn.

We don't have Rikku, or Marie, or Minfilia which would emphasize the character type. The closest thing we have is Agrias, because of her buffing capabilities and having the typical secondary support characteristics of side-Healing/side-Damage/Debuffs. Nichol, Vaan, & Cerius are the only other clear examples, being more limited versions of Agrias. Ramza would be, but he lacks the Enhancements to his song right now.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Shark Tower posted:

Anyone still on the ball about multiple exdeaths; 4x meteor is really REALLY drat strong.

One day I will take these 4 Exdeaths I now have and make them my Arena team.

This day will likely happen when the skies open and rain upon me infinite Gigantaurs.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Exdeath should be your focus for your Mage, yea, now that you pulled him. If you do happen to have a tank anywhere (Cecil or WoL preferably, but Charlotte I think can suffice?) you might want to consider getting one of them up to help mitigate damage.

Personally I think a Full Break unit is mandatory just for mitigation purposes, even on fights that resist elements of it (although if a fight does resist ATK/MAG down, you have Elza to cover DEF/SPR so it's probably not required then).

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The JP anniversary event broadcast makes me sad that we have nothing like it over here in NA for mobile games. Youtube link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChxJhD-2Xw if anyone is interested, though it is entirely in Japanese.

So far they're only revealed a new original Esper for JP, an events listing (presumably upcoming for JP) that had at least 3-4 dozen banners, and some art showcases. Reddit has a stickied thread chronicling the announcements since the event stream is apparently 10 hours long.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ongoing JP Anniversary stream announced 6* upgrades for Charlotte and Hayate planned for December. So for us, figure next summer/fall. Also some weird kind of new game mode where you bring a team of 10 units, swapping them in during the fight? No one's sure how that's going to work right now.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
There is no defensive component, no. You don't lose points or gain anything by your team winning/losing on defense. Your team is simply added to list of possible opponents for anyone else to fight their own matches against.

Meanwhile, rolling an account on JP made me appreciate Zidane rate ups on banners. Although in 30 pulls from all of the free tickets they've just given away, I still got Bedile'd twice goddamnit.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Orgophlax posted:

SPR is for white magic and MAG is for black, right? It sends weird these staves that give high SPR also give a black magic ability.

Yes. Those staves are just strange. My guess is that that they give you Aero or Fire in case you want to damage with your healer? But then you can pick stuff like that up from your Espers on your Healer anyway.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
So, uh, anyone else notice you can Evoke Carbuncle in the Arena? Cause you can totally evoke Carbuncle in the Arena.

Also it has the most adorable evoke animation :kimchi:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
If you have max Cecil and Agrias, I'd bench WoL. WoL had use during the Maxwell Trial for running both Cecil and WoL double tank (alongside Refia) for all of the mitigation.

When 6* WoL comes out, he takes over Cecil's job.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
You're probably going to get more consistent damage out of Meteor by ignoring resistances, and you can still chain with it with timing.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Yo Aegis, you seem to know the JP version fairly well. After pulling another Penelo this weekend and noticing that I already had 1 at 30% I decided to knock out Equip S Sword in a day of grinding.

My question to you is, when does the "Water Spirit Sword"( the one that grants dual wield as a passive) come out?

The +82 ATK Dagger with Dual-wield? That's Abel's TM (3* base), which was released 1st of August so...March/April, update schedule permitting?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I think I physically felt that one. Oof.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's weird. The news announcement came up and when I clicked on the new banner info, the game gave me a popup telling me I just saved 1500 lapis for a week and gained +10 tickets. How generous.

If all of my Lightning friends don't give me +100% to event currency I'm going to be mighty pissed.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
As far as I'm aware, there are more 30% or better ATK materia than there are 30%/+45 ATK accessories.

Edit: Yea, excluding Exceed Rings, accessories cap at +30 ATK.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 29, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I just swipe back and forth in Miranda Coast while reading/watching poo poo on my computer, since there's a good long straight path. Assuming I have the patience for Miranda Coast on that particular day and don't just bother with XP Vortex for the day.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Word going around, from people translating Japanese streams, is that Global's going to be getting Noctis at the same time as Japan (mid-December).

Which would be awesome.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless Noctis and co are nerfed as hell in Global since even if they aren't Veritas or Orlandu tier they're still going to be units that're 6+ months ahead of our power curve. If we get them unmodified and they are also really strong it's going to be interesting to see what people do. Considering Gumi's actions for things like Doublehand's nerf and tweaks to trials and such I fully expect us to get weakened versions of the units who will then get buffed (maybe) in X months.

I'll probably throw some 1/2 pulls at the FF13 banner to try for Snow but otherwise just stockpiling for Orlandu (or maybe Noctis if he turns out to be some OP as hell unit).

They could always do the Maxwell treatment of us getting him capped at 5*. Alternatively, JP gets their enhancements right away (same thing as Agrias getting her 6* and Enhancements almost simultaneously), but Global has to wait for a while on them.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, for accessories and materia I just focus on MP and HP. Healers are naturally going to have high SPR, so stacking it on them for defense becomes much less efficient than simply raising their HP. And the contribution to healing from SPR isn't good.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Her dualcast curaja is hitting for 3,000 to 3200 HP a character.

Dualcast Curaja really is magnificent.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
With how many things aren't 2 hand weapons, I'm still confused why some bows are.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That's a pretty good shell of a team. Physical Damage, Mage, Top Healer, and Full Break.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
WoL shows up after Rain's upgrade, and has the best Breaks...forever? I don't recall offhand if there's a better ATK/MAG Break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Monthly arena resets, guy at top of my opponent's list at 1.50 ratio with Exdeath lead but only rank 68: 4 FP units and Zidane.

I love free ranking points. Got 4 games off him.

• Locked thread