Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Genji glove or double cast? Basically I have nothing else to build around but I logged back into this game after a year and had a boatload of stuff for free. I got Gilgamesh and a red mage. I have terra as well but I think those are the only ones of note unless Garland surprises me. I'm guessing the genji glove is going to be a little easier since my Gilgamesh was 5* right off the bat. It'll take some grinding either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shingouryu posted:

Genji glove is arguably the best accessory for physical attackers without innate dual wield. Once you pull a top tier physical DPS (Orlandeu, Reberta, Aileen) it will serve you very well. Only really consider dualcast if you have Refia, as it turns her into the best healer, or Cecil as it gives him great back up healer potential.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I went back and read the OP - kudos on that, btw. Don't know if it's updated or not but it seems more helpful this time around. Maybe I just understand more about the game while reading it this time.

Currently I'm kinda paralyzed by choice. I didn't whale out but I did a big fat whale belly flop - the $50 lapis was enough to put me over 2 11 pulls and since my dozen free tickets didn't net me anything particularly great I dove in. Got a couple Cecils, Leo, double Bartz, double Vaan, Zidane, ExDeath. So I can see a good party there - though I'm kind of lacking a really strong healer.

My question is - what first? I can TM grind I guess because Bartz dual wielding Excaliburs seems :black101: (and as an aside - is it worth grabbing straight dual wield when I'm working on Genji Glove already?). It just seems like in these games that I always miss out on doing any of the fun or challenging stuff. TM grinds - since I have like 8 or 9 TM rewards that look super amazing - seem like the quickest route to that. It's only a week of constant grinding right? :downs:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

PaybackJack posted:

I try to update the OP every couple months, but between the Wiki and Reddit you have a lot of the more in depth info so I'll probably go back and rewrite it all for new users at some point.

You'll get the *best* healer in the game during the next event if you make sure to grind out your orbs all the time. The event will almost certainly be able to be carried by a strong friend unit as the last ones have been.

It's about 30 days if you aren't spending lapis to grind a unit. Every 10 NRG is .1% so you need 10,000 NRG for 100%. 10,000 NRG/12 = the number of hours it would take to get that much NRG, which is 834. Divide that by 24 for the number of days and you end up with 35 days of constant NRG spending. Of course this doesn't account for refreshes from ranking up, but it also doesn't take into account NRG you'll want to spend on events during that period. It will take a long time but it will be worth it.

Genji Glove and Dual Wield are the top priorities. A pair of Excaliburs is a good start as well. Don't TM Exdeath or Vaan. Leo can wait a while as well. Post your roster and I'll tell you what to grind.

Yeah my head math forgot to account that energy recharges every *5* minutes. And yeah I wasn't planning on TMing Vaan any time soon. He's just the only full breaker I have so thought he was worth mentioning. Don't have an easy way to post screens right now so I'll just make a list.

Oh I guess firstly, my current TM group is Gilgamesh, Ludmille, Zidane, 2x Cecil.

Entire list:

Gilgamesh
Ludmille
Seria
Vaan x2
Zidane
Bartz
Terra
ExDeath
Luna
Krile
Vivi
Zyrus x2
Aiden
Gau
Setzer
Grace
Heltich x2
Sozhe
Guy
Shera
Shine
Lawrence
Soleil
Elle
Eight
Arc
Seven
Vanille
Gafgarion x2
Lani
Amarant
Chizuru
Leo
Miyuki
Russell
Roselia x2
Cerius
Duane x2
Kuja
Garland
Bedile
Anzelm
Clyne
Rydia
Shantotto
Edgar
Kain
Shadow
Sabin
Panelo
Ronaldo
Shiki
Anastasis

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
With the Ifrit raid coming up - how possible is it to get to 1.2m points? I have a Gilgamesh at 70 with a Genji Blade and nothing else of note ground out yet. Is it possible to get carried the entire way? I just have no idea how the point income actually works for raids. I read up a bit and it seems like a decent amount of it relies on people actively killing the global Ifrit for the stacking bonus.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's going to be a raid gacha thing again. Please look forward to collecting another dozen of his TMs. Gonna see if I end up with more than 25 total after this event. :confuoot:

Add a bunch of high damage/BiS goons with Orlandu/Olive damage dealers and just use them to carry you in PRO and maybe ELT. You'll hit the score as long as you're burning most of your orbs each day. If you can bring a pair of chainers (IE: Edgar, Setzer, Orlandu* :v:) yourself then using them to boost an Olive buddy's damage will likely OHKO titan if titan has HP similar to ifrit and bahamut.

* you mentioned Gilgamesh so I'm guessing you don't have Orlandu.

I don't - I didn't reroll to fish for good stuff on this account either. Just spent a little money and also got a little lucky. Man I wish I had Orlandu though. One of my favorite characters from my favorite game. Also I do have Edgar and Setzer but the vast majority of my characters are mid 30s. So I would imagine that in pro they will die to a stiff breeze.

I've been using my severely overpowered Gilgamesh and his newly found sword to wind slash murder my way through the story mode. It's been fairly efficient as the xp gains have gotten me a few rank ups for free energy refills.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
With my Lapis gain from churning through story mode and my summon tickets I've managed to get 4 Kefkas. Is it worth actually getting all 4 ribbons? Eventually I mean.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there a decent simple guide to chaining? I get the concept anyway but for whatever reason the execution escapes me. Do I just need to watch videos for how specific units chain? I have two Setzers which is apparently insanely good for chaining but can't make it work for the life of me.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

arisu posted:

Are you talking about just chaining the two Setzers or are you trying to work a finisher in with them? I've currently got two Setzers and an Olive I usually work in together. Do your Setzers have dual wield?

If it's just the two Setzers, the simplest thing would probably to queue up Red Card or Prismatic Flash on both of them and then hit them one after another as fast as you can. If you get tricky you might be able to pull the prismatic flashes into one long chain.

I just apparently have a shitload of grinding to do. I've really basically just started so I'm not looking to do the kind of insanity that is going on in the videos I've looked up. My real question was extremely basic in that (my attempts at) combos always seem to be lack luster for me. But mostly it looks like it's all about one-rounding big stuff. Just have to find your unit/ability combos and the specific timing to make it work. So it's mostly just scrambling around doing research for someone relatively new.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Well, 21 thancreds and a buttload of Gil turtles and metal cacti has let me finally soft cap my dps for a while. I'm at nearly 500 atk with a Gilgamesh (and that sweet tri attack) now. Just "waiting"* on my first batch of TMRs to finish and I'll jump up to the 900 atk range.

*Genji glove is at 22%, the rest are sub-3% :smithicide:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I'll probably end up buying the daily 100 energy most days as I have plenty to work on and very little in the way of mats for awakenings, etc. I still don't have a breaker other than Rain. Probably going with 2x Setzer, Gilgamesh, Rain and... Cecil? Since he can double up as tank and healer?

But that means after I'm done with my first batch of TMRs I need to grind out double Zidane (or I guess Abel is probably better for Setzer? I have 2 of those as well), another Shine, Garland and... I'm sure I can come up with something. Probably the other Gafgarion. Or the second Cecil.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there any decent holy weapon Setzer can use for elemental chaining up to an Excalibur finisher?

Side note, farming lucky seedlings blows. I have 2 4* max level Setzers and that's the only thing I'm missing. To get one to 6* (almost both really).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

suuma posted:

I don't think Setzer can equip any Light/Holy weapons, since they're all spears/greatswords.

Alright, this is what I thought was the case. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The current raid is also a shitton of xp for units and rank. I've been abusing the hell out of it for free refreshes to get much father ahead than I reasonably should be with the current amount of time invested (especially considering the volume of Gil turtles and metal cacti I get from raid currency).

E: and it's crazy because your rank up refreshes give you all your arena/colosseum orbs, raid orbs and energy. So you really need to have at least 6 or 7 carries to not waste any orbs. I've done 10 pro titans back to back a few times during this event.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 7, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Is there an estimate of when the Tactics banner/revisit/whatever is going to be up? I remember reading it may not even happen or that we may not get the Agrias 6* update. But I'll probably pull like crazy off that banner, especially if Agrias is updated. I'd like to try to plan accordingly.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Tengames posted:

Not that most people will have the sheer amount of mats needed to enhance two anyway. Hell , depending on how soon it is a lot of people wont be able to afford one.

Man. I'm still waiting on 30 calamity writs just to get my 2 Setzers up to 6*. Can't even imagine what this'll be like.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I've got a 500 atk Gilgamesh. He's currently nothing amazing but can at least do some decent damage to middling stuff if anyone wants to add to their list. Just have something goony in your profile. I'm still pruning out the randoms from my friend list.

367 540 709

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

hagie posted:

The difficulty spike in this is cracking me up. Everything so far has gotten destroyed quickly.

Then I get to the shark and realized I underestimated the situation greatly...

Got the no-heals but not the limit burst kill

As my two best characters by far currently are Cecil and Gilgamesh, limit burst kill requirements make me die a little inside.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I want to get the Ifrit Claw but I just don't see it happening with my current options. I have two 6*/100s - Cecil and Gilgamesh. I have 5* Rain, Y'shtola and Setzer, along with a 4* Setzer (who will be 5 as soon as the last &$&%#!^ seed drops). I have no breakers to speak of and I still have a ways to go to finish my first real TMRs to make Gilgamesh a strong damage dealer. Currently it doesn't even look like I can finish Pro even with a strong dps'er. I got Siren down to about 25% on my best attempt (with Ifrit still alive).

Basically I'm just curious if there is anything that can hard carry through that fight. But based on the mechanics of it I don't know that there is such a character/build.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes. There is.

There is a queue forming in his topic on GameFAQs, if no Goon is able to slap this unit together (I certainly can't.)

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cartoon Man posted:

The good news is that for those of us that got Maxwell the last time, we can put him up as a 100% bonus friend unit for everbody else. I plan to get the usual exclusive gear, tickets, etc, but then I'm farming 6* mats for the rest of the event.

I need this event so bad. Are there limited amounts of 6* mats? I need like 40 calamity writs just to 6* what I have available right now.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Scrublord Prime posted:

Arena is dumb, even at max level. Just this morning I fought against a team with a Noctis who, via RNG, decided to use Blizzard Flask and it inflicted Stop on almost my entire team. They had the first move too so there was literally nothing I could've done to prevent it / kill them first. Do Arena five times a day for the 40 lapis and 1 star quartz but otherwise spend your arena/coliseum orbs on the actual coliseum (in the first arena screen check the upper right corner). It's easy and there's quite a few good rewards for getting through it including lapis. As you progress in the game you'll figure out a good arena team and strategy (usually chaining AoE attacks to hopefully win on the first turn)

And yeah, do as much of the titan raid as you can, get as many raid rewards and characters and all the other goodies. Plus it's great for rank exp too and every time you rank up you get all your raid and arena orbs refilled.

Also post your friend code and get hooked up with some goon whales to help make the game easier!

For Arena I'm to the point that I find a low level team to farm for win streaks. But it's incredibly easy still to fall into a spot where everything is unwinnable. Usually after 4 days of farming teams I'm at the point where every team destroys me and I go back to farming the coliseum. If you can get a decent ranking it's usually worth trying for the weekly/monthly rewards but if you have no fights you can win just get your daily beating in and go to the coliseum as mentioned.

More general advice request from me:

I pulled an Olive with tickets I think a couple weeks ago. And today my free pull was Dark Fina. Is Dark Fina a good replacement for Rain as a breaker if I'm basically all physical damage? Probably a bit more squishy but also doesn't just jump in front of things to get slaughtered. AoE 40% atk/def break sounds pretty nice.

I'm still just plugging along doing virtually everything (Titan farming, weekly events, story quests) with my TMR group so I haven't done much to hamper swapping to Olive aside from awakening Gilgamesh. Should I shoot for her instead? I know she's supposed to be a much better chain finisher with her single gigantic hit. And I have 2x Setzer currently for chain building once I get there.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Mad Fnorder posted:

Dark Fina is your path to Arena Success, at least. Distress often defangs entire groups and can just win outright if it hits Petrify x5, plus Doublecast Ultima easily hits 999x2.

So double cursed card + distress is pretty good you say.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
If the shark was incredibly difficult for me how hard is the next tier of Gathering going to be?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I have pulled Gilgamesh, Olive and Dark Fina as my only 5* base units. I deserve something awful but honestly I don't even know that I'd mind any unit aside from Emperor maybe? I have 4 Zyrus so I don't really need his TMR. Even Queen seems like a decent tank TMR...? I know I don't have much better currently anyway. At least with lightning I could work on my own evasion cheese unit but obviously Noctis would be miles better for that.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Servaetes posted:

15 tickets, no single Brave Frontier unit, but rainbow #5 - Dark Fina! I guess that's good?

I went from just doing basically nothing in arena - usually finishing weeks/months just inside the 30-90k bracket - to currently no. 4253 ranking by facerolling distress and curse card along with as much AoE damage as I can muster. With no investment beyond getting them to 6*. Their gear is absolute garbage and it doesn't matter. And I'll probably try pushing even more with a second Setzer 6*.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

rabidsquid posted:

but did they specify 2017? cant be mad at the devs release schedule if they dont specify year of release

FFBE: I Cleared it No Problem, First Feint Step with Your Ling

:smithicide:

hagie posted:

I always took the "time of day" pull suggestion of "you seem to be in a rut, try something different."

The equivalent of jerking off using the fabled "The Stranger" method. Realistically it's the "same"...but "different."

That's probably too long for a thread title.

FFBE: Like The Stranger but different

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Nuebot posted:

I can't do the story character equip missions because I literally have not leveled up my story characters at all.

Same boat. But those aren't going to go away any time soon so the next time I can get my hands on some cactuars (assuming I get nothing good from the FFX banner/free 11 pull/5* 11 pull) I'm just going to power a couple of them up to plow through it. My Rain is already 6* and I just need to work on the rest. I might try 3-manning it as I still haven't gotten past the ship graveyard.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cartoon Man posted:

This is Rikku's shopping list for Friday.

Lucky seedlings :smithicide:

At least I can buy them from King Mog. Just memories of running awakening quests for like a week solid for 2 Setzers.

BDawg posted:

From my daily 1/2 price, I got a trust moogle for Moonblade. I think the game is preparing me for 5* disappointment already.

I got Delita yesterday for my daily with a Deathbringer moogle. I don't have DKC. :(

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Scrublord Prime posted:

That's correct, a canceled expedition is sent back to the new expedition pool. If you have less than three expeditions in the new pool it'll give you a new one. So if you have an rear end combo you could send one out w/o the item to get a new third expedition, cancel the one you just sent out to get the slot and units back, then do the new one and then finally reroll the rear end combo away for example.

For Maxwell I changed my friend unit to a Diabolos Cecil with his light resist jacked up to 95% (I haven't done the Ultros trial yet so I don't have the Hero Shield for an extra +10% light resist). Hopefully it'll help some players with getting the Maxwell unit but I doubt Cecil is going to clear that trial on his own. Summon challenges are obnoxious as hell.

I've given up on it. The summon part makes it horribly awkward, honestly. I can field a team that is able to get the summon up pretty quickly but it's basically chain deaths trying to actually get the summon off. The difficult part is that I don't have much to work with so a gimmick fight I just have to brute force my way through. I have no provoke tank, I have no great breaker and my y'shtola dies to a stiff breeze without someone to take most of the direct damage.

I've been primarily focusing on damage because it's the easiest way to work through everything - kill it before it gets dangerous. The summon is all about survival AND still killing it which I can't do.

Is there anyone else to look out for that's a dps with atk/mag break? I have an Elza to work on so I can rely on Madness Rush for the def/spi break. The only one that comes to mind is Orlandu with Crush Weapon.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

AegisP posted:

Also if you have access to Garnet, her LB is an increase to your Esper gauge, provided you can keep her alive.

Actually I can fill the summon bar in 2 rounds usually. I can't do absurd damage with them yet but double Setzer still hits a lot if nothing else. If I can get Minifilia up to snuff before Maxwell goes away I'll give her a shot. It's just that on a relatively new/low-level account I only have so many resources to go around. Any cacti I get generally go directly into someone that needs levels. I nearly have a (very unoptimal) team of 6* 100s now with mostly terrible gear.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Will King Mog still be around for a week selling stuff or do I need to get rid of the currency now? Actually wait. Is Vargas a limited time unit?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Now I just need a WoL. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Yeah I asked that earlier. He's up for 1 week after the event ends

• Locked thread