Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Hmmm, do I kit out Buttz or do I make Exdeath silly next. So many decisions! My primary team is physical so Buttz is probably smarter, but Exdeath was my MVP unit for so long back when I first started!

MVP units in order:

Garland: first rare pull, carried me through a lot!
Exdeath: first top tier pull. Started carrying once Garland couldn't cut it anymore.
Chorizo: first natural barrage user
Dracu Lasswell: First 6* unit and base 5* unit

Those all have a special place in my heart!

How nostalgic.

Garland: Initial pull MVP. Only recently got replaced by better damage dealers.
CoD: Initial pull MVP. Second half of team Badguy. I like her so much I have a lovely clone at lvl 95, just in time for a Thorned mace.
Krile and Vivi remained on the A-team much longer than they should have.

In response to your question, go Exdeath. I would 100% if I could ever pull him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Trip report: Antonella is a surprising grind. Cleared it first time, but it cost quite a few elixirs and Phoenix downs. To put it in perspective, chaining 5x Call of the Void took a single fullbreak'd vine down by a third. Cheer was up as well.

Cecil spent every round at least half dead, and everybody had mana issues. I won't be trying for the extra 30 lapis anytime soon.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
This has been an unusually great banner. Absolutely filthy with useless bunny women, but also great.

Tickets plus dailies:

Fran x3
Bedile
Bartz
Exdeath
WoL!?
Faris
Refia!!

I didn't have any of these aside from fran and bedile. I pulled as much as possible for WoL and Refia on their respective banners and got jack.

Refia will be spending a lot of quality time out on the big bridge. If I have a maxed and potted Cecil, is WoL still going to be useful? I have literally every other breaker, but I hear he's interesting at 6*.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That Winged Saint armor looks pretty good. No character limitations, it looks like?

It...it's a weapon. A fist weapon with armor for the icon. I don't know either.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Skyridge posted:

Anyone have a super-buff Cloud of Darkness with the thorned mace and Diablos I can borrow to clear Big Bridge ELT?

099 466 666

Still using Ifrit, but I swapped the second Rising Sun out for a Thorned Mace. (The other Sun is needed on my backup CoD alongside a Pestle).

You shouldn't have a problem.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Mischalaniouse posted:

First TMR I have ground for finally at 100%, Excalibur. Lightning breaks 500 ATK. Time to start on Dual Cast.

Also Dual Wield at 100% through Trust Moogles, will probably go on CoD, or would Exdeath be a better option?

Exdeath: Double(ish) your magic stat from weapons (very good)

Physical Character: Double your ATK stat from weapons, and Double all attacks/physical abilities for free. (Insane)

CoD's only weakness here is weapon availability. A character like Bartz would be a no-brainer with his weapon selection and 5 hit (10 hit!?) Barrage. Hell, even a Kain becomes monstrous with double Dragon Dive damage.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Daily Reward: Free Summon Ticket.
Throw At: Gilgamesh Banner.
Rainbow Crystal: Gilgamesh Get.

There goes all my luck for the rest of the month, if not all of January, too.

drat you. I'm going to go do that now and be disappointed.

Edit: Another Bartz. Could be worse.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 7, 2016

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

God drat peer pressure, I did it to and got

a shantoto.

Always a welcome pull.

Don't go deeper! Pulls 2 and 3 were Shadow and 4* Sabin.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Does this mean I should toss my Refia up as a friend unit then? She doesn't have dual cast yet or a maxed out esper but she does have full raise and 344 spr if it will help people. Seems more useful for this than my exdeath anyway

Edit holy poo poo that thing is insane. So in addition to wiping out the whole team if you do anything other than a regular attack, it can also reduce all your stats by 100 percent party wide for 999 turns, and it can blind and silence party wide and it can paralyze one by one. That fight is absurd, or at least looks that way to me. I guess if you have a really souped up lightning and give her dragon killer and bring another souped up lightning with the same you might be able to whittle it down?

It can pull so many crazy debuffs and status poo poo that your whole party aside from like 2 attackers will have to be support and healing just to make it through rounds 1 or 2. Maybe I'm missing something but that thing looks insanely difficult. I guess if you've got a bunch of tms that null paralyze blind and silence it will help, but that doesn't do much for the massive stat reductions it can drop on you

Two of the moves (the -100 stat LOL/the other really bad one) are reactions to abilities or magic. Hopefully we can just tank and grind through his other bullshit, but those aren't recoverable from.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Cleared out inactives so I have a few slots open.

"You are already friends"

Then why don't I ever see this glorious monster on my friends list? C'mon game.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Hardbody posted:

So I finally capped on ATK pots and yea, there you go, BiS global Greg. I lose like 12 attack using deathbringer over Moon Blade, but i get Man eater.

That is a beautiful thing. Please tell me you can free up a friend slot.

099 466 666

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I'm happy to see good results from this banner. I was planning to spend my remaining tickets anyway, so here we go!

pre:
  • Lani 3* Well, good to get that out of the way, right?
  • Lani 3* ... SURELY that is the worst of my luck.
  • Kefka 3* Nice to have a second one of him, even though I'm looking at 3 unleveled Exdeaths. Ribbon, right?
  • Edgar 3* Nice if he was # 2 or 3. He's # 9
  • Charlotte 3* She's a dupe and will see no use.

I'm done for now. I'm not getting a good feeling on this one anymore.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Hardbody posted:

I love it when someone asks me to add them and then doesnt accept my request *Stares at SADirt*

:downs:

Yeah, I gotcha just now. Unfortunately, after this last update, my phone will not run the drat game. Initializing... then "Brave Exvius has crashed, do you want to send a report that won't be read or used in any way?" I'm pretty much stuck with Memu.

Anybody else with a Galaxy S7 see or hear of this kind of issue? I've rebooted/reinstalled. I'm not restoring factory settings for this drat game though. This will be a golden time to TM macro until I find a fix at least.

* And I do appreciate the invite *

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, tell me if I am crazy but here is my idea.

Buy the big bundle, use the tickets and whatnot. But the lapis is used not for ineffectually pulling, but to fuel TM grinding. I kinda really like this idea, it feels right and like I said a better use of lapis than multisummoning and getting nothing. I would still buy the 300 lapis ticket bundles with it, but the rest would go to TM grinding (and also maybe grinding the maze while it is around, if there is a macro for it?).

There IS a macro for it, and it changes everything for me. Imagine checking Memu every few hours and having the pleasure of just applying a shedload of Cactaurs to your unit of choice.

Also, your idea makes me want to drop money for the second time in this game. I'd get so many TMs progressed with 100 refreshes.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
FYI, If you are struggling with ELT, Hardbody's Greg can solo it. Well, one divider kills all the boxes which is pretty much the whole fight.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Shark Tower posted:

My team after one round with Dark Fina:

Trust me, she's much more than "just a better exdeath".

Wow. I don't have the time, lapis or patience to do arena beyond the 90k line, but is it even possible to survive going second against that kind of team?

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Shark Tower posted:

Actually, all that damage is from D Fina. JUST D Fina.

I went first and took down all 4 nocti and brought Fina to red. She proceeded to trigger retaliate twice, holy once on chiz, stonga'ed on her turn, then ultima'ed on the 2nd turn.

Ok, that actually makes me feel better. I thought powercreep had hit HARD, and D Fina was able to do all that solo on a single turn. This seems more reasonable (though still terrifying).

Palleon posted:

Can someone help me out deciding what TM to grind next? I've got my second big batch of them all about to wrap up so I need a bit of direction on my next five.

I guess it would help to note my team. I typically run Lightning/Refia/Exdeath/Cecil/(one of Tellah, CoD, Dracu Laswell, or another Exdeath once he's at 100 as need be for what I'm doing).

My votes would be for Lunge Combo, Black Cowl, and double up for a faster Rising Sun. The resulting DW CoD will last you a long while as an attack/support unit. All of these TMs would also be useful on Firion when he gets beefy in the next month OR on your Lightning.

I have been rolling a full physical team since the beginning, so I'm biased. I finally got and built an Exdeath, but he'll probably never see much use outside of Arena.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 9, 2017

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Palleon posted:

Hey, I got my first Rainbow crystal since the first Lightning banner! Is it finally my time for something good? Don't get your hopes up Palleon, but maybe it's something usable and new...

gently caress my life.

This guy is weirdly prolific and awful. Three of my last four dailies have been Sazh (thankfully not rainbows sweet jesus I would quit).

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Wooow, that Trial was brutal. Took me over an hour, mostly because I don't have top shelf damage.

CoD @ 650 ATK
Cecil
BCL
Bartz @ 500 ATK
Refia with DC
Goon Friend Noct @ 750+ ATK

MVP was obviously Noct, but the core team of Bartz/Refia/Cecil was essential for me. Hell, CoD did excellent work, so pretty much the only dead weight was Lid.
I brought her along thinking her Hex Strike would help a bunch, but it turns out diminishing returns are a BITCH, and Noct filled the status role (alongside every role) with Fire Flask. I could have given Bartz the Barthundara and 5 manned it with zero difference. Or better yet, stripped Bartz down and brought a Chizuru w/ DW instead of Lid. Bartz damage is pretty trash, sadly.

Scary point: Wandering One + Chimera fight left me at the end of a turn with EVERYONE dead except CoD at 170 HP. Next turn, Phoenix down on Refia and by some miracle they didn't kill her afterwards. Then she starts the revive train and I'm back in business.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

i suppose i could just be outrageously unlucky since i've been playing since soft launch and only got a single rainbow crystal which was not a base 5* but unless literally everyone rerolls and has made an account after lightning came out i dunno how accurate it is to say most f2p have a base 5*

Not just you, bud. I've been playing from the start and my only 5* crystal was Amarant. I'm looking forward to unloading on the Orlandu event with probability on my side. And yes, I know it doesn't work that way but give me something to hope for.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Exdeath is such a champ in this event. This is the first content he's really come through for me (I only got him recently).

I laughed and took a super lovely screen capture when I saw this. That's a Sprite hiding behind ExBro, so the payout was around 5,600.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Cleared with CoD/Ace/Cecil/Refia/Bartz + 700 ATK friend Noctis (of course)

After this event, I'm convinced that you can wrap anything around a core of DC Refia + Support Bartz and end up with a super solid team. I stopped trying to gear Butts for any kind of damage and just gave him Bar-spells, Winter Ward and Osmose Blade, and he went from disappointing to a key player. Who needs a Green mage when he's been here the whole time?

In other F2P news, this 15% ATK materia finally brought CoD into the 700 club. Barring finally getting a Hayate or Ramza (lol), this might be the ceiling for her.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I don't know about all of you, but I'm eternally Cactaur starved. Every grind event is a miracle of 100 Giant C's. I'd buy 1000 if they were available.

So, I need advice: Do I go all-in on Ace?
I pulled him (my first and only 5* base) a few weeks ago, and he's excellent. I ALSO just pulled a Seven, and that is where the dilemma starts.
Is it worth it to grind her to 6* lvl 100 so she can Elementlash on my main team? That -50% to fire/ice/lit is a direct buff to
    Ace (DW using some kind of element rod)
    Chizuru (DW with the fire Katana)
    Exdeath (assuming I really want to go the magic route)
    Firion and his magic lightning hammer
My issue is that Seven kinda looks like dead weight on her own. Does anybody use her? Will I hate myself for dumping 70 cactaurs or whatever it takes to get her leveled?

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Mile'ionaha posted:

Get Ace to 6* 100 first and foremost.

Seven is a nice supplement to level as you feel like it. She's super niche, and might well be replaced in utility or damage by some other random unit you pick up. If you picked up Insult to Injury, though, it's not bad at all.

Don't worry, I've maxed Ace and I'm actually really happy with him. I'd be in a completely different camp if Wild Card wasn't flat out busted in the best possible way. Between that and his visually spectacular LB, he's gotten me to actually consider grinding out mage-centric TMs.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

AegisP posted:

Oof, I felt that 5* Fang pull in my soul. Last three have been troll rainbows. Least they're getting out of the way before Orlandu.

3 posts later...

Oh christ that hurts to read. I feel for you, but I'm probably done pulling until these changes are in.

Edit: Regarding the Event:

15% HP completely not worth it. Probably the grindiest boss yet, but a straightforward tank and spank if you can heal.

ACE is now up as a friend instead of CoD. Despite Wild Card returning *Physical Resist* every hit, it's still putting on 40k or more per round, and he dodges physical attacks with it.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 17, 2017

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

You guys are crazy if you think Gumi is putting that patch out before Orlandu.

Be realistic. How lovely would it look for them to do it directly AFTER the Orlandu banner? Even Gumi doesn't want that PR.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

McSpankWich posted:

I voted Ramza, Garnet, Rakshasa

edit: I was under the impression that the break/reform was just a visual flourish, and that what you pulled is determined prior to the whole animation. So pulling a straight rainbow is no different than Blue -> Gold -> Rainbow

Yeah, visual only. My evidence from a few months ago is pulling a blue crystal, and having the app crash before I could even open it. I log back in to a fresh 4* Shadow. It is all predetermined.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had a horrible thought, what if Gumi brings back that carven exploration and adds another level and a new sword recipe that takes multiple shining splendors to craft. :shepicide:

Hail Satan

Aside: I'm going to bank at least 200 cactaurs this weekend. These dunes are amazing.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I don't know how it sounds in Japanese, but 'Purple Lightning' just throws me off every time its mentioned. It just reads like a bad translation.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Palleon posted:

CoD and Luca are the only two of those characters you might be using in a few weeks. I would reroll until you at least have a 5* base, you can do better.

Belay that - Garland will be a monster soon. That said...

Now that the fix is in, it IS worth it to get a 5* through rerolls.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I've spent my tickets like water for stuff like Ling, so I'm not complaining about not getting Orlandeau.

I do think this "RNG" is pretty bullshit, however. 4 Tickets and a Daily:

Cecil
Cecil
Cecil
Russel
Russel

I mean, come ON. No way that happens with this huge deep unit pool even if you limit my draws to 3*

Excaliburs for days (even though I've already got one ground out).

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
So yeah, I used that 4* Ticket immediately and finally got my Xon.

In other news, I've done 75,000 eggs worth of summons since the update and received a single Guard Heavicryst. They don't seem common at all.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Clown was fun though it took a few tries before I put a party together that could last long enough to get those drat Espers charged.

CoD (Omniveil + barrage for orbs)
Cecil (Being Cecil, backup heals)
Refia (Being Refia + DC)
Bartz (Being Battery + barrage for orbs + entrust for Cecil)
Setzer for the kill plus a surprisingly useful Mystidian Rabbit skill.
Friend Setzer with fire element as insurance.

Bartz did his battery trick about 7 times. I had crap luck with orbs so it took like 25 rounds total. FYI, Carbuncle is usually a free round in addition to being a requirement for the robes.

After that, Setzer did 4 million damage with a coral sword against lightning weakness. I could have folded a LB in there, but I wasn't confident enough.

The best news is that I pulled a second Setzer with victory fish tickets and I'm done with this banner. Finally.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

:toot: Birthday 11 pull go! :toot:

Setzer #2 and #3, I'll take it!

Gratz! Happy b-day.

One if the few instances where your third copy is just as good as your first. Now you can have Setzer chain with Setzer to have Setzer do crazy double dice damage. Have a friend Setzer join in! Setzer Setzer Setzer.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

suuma posted:

Warp break is worth like 2-2.5 point warps worth of damage, and that's assuming your point warps land due to blind. You're looking at like 10 hours.

Honestly the majority of the damage to Orthros is from the Holy counter, at least in round 2.

Anyway right before killing Typhos I hosed up and got Dana's Noctis snorted like 2 hours in :v:

I had a similar experience last night. Literally fell asleep on my phone and mashed my face into some command that wasn't point warp. I woke up to the difficulty select screen.

Still, that noctis build is great and I'm glad I got to see it in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
2 tickets to get my first Tilith. 5 more tickets because I'm an idiot (and I wanted more of a bonus b/c Firion can solo ELT easily), and I can't believe we have a banner with no 3* units. This is cruel to anyone who started after Maxwell.

E: Sweet christ, 25 NRG for 384 Crimson Ore before bonus. Just 25k-35k for one of the new accessories! Of which there are 3.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 16, 2017

• Locked thread