Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

inception is great, it's a big loud action thriller with just enough weird stuff going on to trick me into thinking i'm watching something smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Not even in broad strokes?

Let's just say it was about something that can't happen and probably shouldn't happen and the thesis was long winded and dull.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Minimalist Program posted:

Let's just say it was about something that can't happen and probably shouldn't happen and the thesis was long winded and dull.

Bet you feel stupid now that Trump actually won :smug:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Bet you feel stupid now that Trump actually won :smug:

Man I've felt stupid for 33 years aint nothing gonna change that.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

All of DiCaprio's movies have the same plot.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
a friend an I got way too high off some brownies before watching this and it was still a big easily discernible spectacle. They make it very easy to follow the nested timelines because they're constantly showing you whats happening in each of them. Fun movie, but not hard

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
it establishes rules for how the movie universe works and then breaks them. i think thats most people's problem with it. i get its a dream world but i think people get confused because they expect all of the rules and explanations they give out to have some relation to the plot when they really just explain why something is going to happen in the next scene and then is promptly ignored for the rest of the movie. they really should have just not explained any of that poo poo and just rolled with it.

the only part of the movie that leaves any ambiguity is the ending but thats because it relies on said rules that are constantly broken for convenience' sake. its just a mess of a movie, honestly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I agrree with da op, but only for his original post, not necessarily for any posts he has incepted from it afterward

BTW Inception is basically Mulholland Drive for retards if Mulholland Drive was also kind of bad instead of very good.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

nigga crab pollock posted:

it establishes rules for how the movie universe works and then breaks them. i think thats most people's problem with it. i get its a dream world but i think people get confused because they expect all of the rules and explanations they give out to have some relation to the plot when they really just explain why something is going to happen in the next scene and then is promptly ignored for the rest of the movie. they really should have just not explained any of that poo poo and just rolled with it.

the only part of the movie that leaves any ambiguity is the ending but thats because it relies on said rules that are constantly broken for convenience' sake. its just a mess of a movie, honestly.

still better than interstellar

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the really huge plot hole in Inception is, why were none of the dreams about Robocop? I don't know about you guys, but I can't go a night without dreaming about Robocop, sometimes not even an hour. Just Robocop, Robocop, Robocop.

And I know I'm not the only one. All these people sharing dreams and you're telling me there was not one Robocop among them? Realistically, there would've been Robocops all over the place, the halls would be crowded with Robocops bumping into each other from different dreams. You couldn't swing a dead cat without walloping a half dozen Robocops. It's preposterous.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Which rules does it break, exactly?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

H.H posted:

still better than interstellar

Interstellar was good until the formula for gravity control was translated into morse code and then correctly interpreted by the guy's daughter who somehow deduced that the gentle shuddering of a watch's second hand was a secret message from her father instead of just disregarding it like literally every non-psychotic person would do.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Interstellar was good until the formula for gravity control was translated into morse code and then correctly interpreted by the guy's daughter who somehow deduced that the gentle shuddering of a watch's second hand was a secret message from her father instead of just disregarding it like literally every non-psychotic person would do.

sure just force your neurotypical norms on that woman. bigot.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

There must be a series of these somewhere. Please update thread with them. :fap:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

that's a hell of a jaw

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

quote:

Remember, you can never tell anyone about your totem or let anyone else hold it.

Later: Hey, can I see you totem?

No, that's against the rules

Haha nice, you're learning!

That dialogue was almost as jarring as the doctor/ cartilage scene in the terrible Batman movie

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I cant say much about Arrival without spoiling it but go see Arrival

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

if you die in a dream you wake up. oh, take that back, you actually get stuck in limbo forever

what happens to you in the previous dream level affects the current dream. they then promptly ignore that after the zero gravity stuff

the entire kick thing is entirely arbitrary. free-fall wakes people up in the beginning of the movie but doesn't near the end. its fine but why go to lengths explaining the rules of waking people up f you're just gonna bend em

also they go to lengths explaining the rules of the totem that leaves ambiguity to if he's in his wife's dream, which is a cool twist i guess but they could have done it without throwing the events that happened out the window for a ~big twist~ that really isn't even that big considering what the movie is about

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 20, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

I cant say much about Arrival without spoiling it but go see Arrival

You are the second boobie pikachu to tell me this in the past three hours. I guess I'll have to see it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

That dialogue was almost as jarring as the doctor/ cartilage scene in the terrible Batman movie

this plus the fact that he has his wife's totem is like the biggest question mark i have for the movie that nobody seems to catch. like either she's dead and it's all real or he's in her head. yes it is a movie where you are supposed to come to your own conclusions about the ending but there are so many more graceful ways to do that than what inception did

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Applewhite posted:

You are the second boobie pikachu to tell me this in the past three hours. I guess I'll have to see it.
lol whos the other boobie pikachu?

Arrival is good, Its not like Inception: the writing is tight and the drama is good and there is actually something to get

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

this plus the fact that he has his wife's totem is like the biggest question mark i have for the movie that nobody seems to catch. like either she's dead and it's all real or he's in her head. yes it is a movie where you are supposed to come to your own conclusions about the ending but there are so many more graceful ways to do that than what inception did

He took her totem off her after killing her for drowning their children in the lake.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

lol whos the other boobie pikachu?

Someone I know IRL you wouldn't know them. I only called them a "boobie pikachu" because they have big boobs and wear a pikachu hoodie despite being an adult.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
if inception is a movie about the subjectivity of reality and how dreaming is similar to filmmaking then it is a critical failing that you can't really tell if they are plot holes or purposeful inconsistencies. i get what they were going for thematically but it just doesn't work

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I appreciate that Nolan is trying to make movies that should appeal to me, but drat all his films are more boring than skyfall.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
inception was a well reviewed movie that grossed almost a billion dollars so it makes sense goons wouldn't like it

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dial-a-Dog posted:

inception was a well reviewed movie that grossed almost a billion dollars so it makes sense goons wouldn't like it

The only film Goons like is...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its a p good action flick that is well filmed and has good performances but its really not anything more than that

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
bad dog

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:lol: Someone else who likes terrible movies. :)

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i am the gatekeeper of popular culture

it is i who will decide what is good and what is bad

i will define the context

none shall pass without rigorous inspection from me

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Hey man, I didn't say I didn't like it. I just didn't love it and it sure as hell wasn't "deep" or "smart."

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I found it very hard to follow tbh. Like was Leonardo and this team jumping to parallel dimensions? And Leo just wanted to find his original dimension that he came from where his kids lived and stuff?? :confused:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Applewhite posted:

Because they're making the fraudulent claim that there is something to "get."

Inception is a very straightforward story that is easy even for the layperson to follow and understand. Frankly, it was a disappointingly unimaginative movie that had literally the entire realm of imagination to play in but instead chose to depict the innermost workings of the human psyche as a bare concrete bunker.

If you want something to "get" watch Holy Mountain or Brazil.

i like the part where the buildings go bendy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

I found it very hard to follow tbh. Like was Leonardo and this team jumping to parallel dimensions? And Leo just wanted to find his original dimension that he came from where his kids lived and stuff?? :confused:

Yeah that's basically it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Trunko posted:

i like the part where the buildings go bendy

That part was scary I had to close my eyes until it was over.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Dr. Strange was really fun

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
We need to find someone who is an expert at drawing mazes to create our dream worlds and let's spend ten minutes of the movie explaining why these places need to be as elaborate as possible. Okay, so after all that she made a hotel floor and a hill to ski on. Perfect.

We need to find a special chemist who can create an elaborate concoction and let's spend ten minutes of the movie explaining why it needs to be him. Okay, now that we got him let's watch him drive this van over a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I liked Inception. I also enjoyed The Usual Suspects.

• Locked thread