Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I mean, consider cats. They are basically exactly like lions or leopards, exactly the same mannerisms and basic behavior. Just tiny.

Or birds. You've got tiny birds like hummingbirds, and condors, they basically move the same loving way

or fish. Bluegill, whale shark, same poo poo

But there arent any giant mice. or giant spiders. or giant squirrels

im just asking questions

p.s. while i'm at it, why arent there huge bats that eat enormous amounts of very prolific bugs, like fuckin bat dragons an poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
i knew someone would bring up capybaras. they are not relevant! do those freaks look like mice at all??

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://irl.cs.ucla.edu/papers/right-size.html

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
is there a mouse-sized capybara

? tell me that. and no, dont tell a chipmunk to me, not the same poo poo at all

not reading that

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Insects are limited in size because they don't have lungs, they passively absorb oxygen from their environment. They can only get so big before math suffocates them, as an increase in size only increases surface area by a square while it increases volume by a cube.

Flying animals have similar issues. The largest you can get and still fly in our atmosphere is pretty much condor sized and bats will never get that big because they lack feathers and the hollow bones birds have, so they're too heavy to make it to condor sized.

I don't know why there isn't a very large mouse animal but I think there could be. There are some larger rodents and to to a certain extent how different would a giant rat be to a pig? Sometimes the answer for why not when it comes to evolution is just luck.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Sheep-Goats posted:

Insects are limited in size because they don't have lungs, they passively absorb oxygen from their environment. They can only get so big before math suffocates them, as an increase in size only increases surface area by a square while it increases volume by a cube.

Flying animals have similar issues. The largest you can get and still fly in our atmosphere is pretty much condor sized and bats will never get that big because they lack feathers and the hollow bones birds have, so they're too heavy to make it to condor sized.

I don't know why there isn't a very large mouse animal but I think there could be. There are some larger rodents and to to a certain extent how different would a giant rat be to a pig? Sometimes the answer for why not when it comes to evolution is just luck.

Given that rats are cute and nice, if a giant one was cute and nice as well it would be way better than a pig, which is not cute or nice, but in fact awful and deserves what it gets.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
Don't give me that poo poo about hollow bones. Why the gently caress dont bats have hollow bones? Because they are loving weak apparently, and thus deserve to die

why do we have tiny leopards and huge leopards? Why do we have species that are microcosms of other species, yet this fails to present in other areas?

what about fractals? what about that?

there used to be giant sloths. now they are all small and lovely. there were other giant versions of existing mammals, now they suck. some we human ate, and are gone. But what about the giant mice? I ask the academy

and to expand, what about the giant earthworms?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is just mom joke bait through and through you bastard!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
giant mice are elephants OP

this is why mice scare them

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Sheep-Goats posted:

This thread is just mom joke bait through and through you bastard!
I know that bullshit, and this is not

where are the giant mice and earthworms

Once horses were tiny, and developed to be bigger and became draught-animals

why do we not have mighty rats and rabbits hauling food carts in third-world nations??

ok i mean lots of the third world are desert countries, but what about Kangaroos? They are loving strong, why havent they been domesticated yet? Some Aussies wanna splain that poo poo to me yet??

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Giant mice were one more apparition we traded off when we decided not to live in a 15th century Flemish hellscape painted by a mad genius?

Alternatively, in this timeline cats won the war against mice. Had the mice acted quicker or bred more prodigiously...

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
In that case, do we exist in a scenario of Schrodinger's Rat?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Giant mice would be wiped out by predators like lions and wolfs.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
if it's any consolation giant earthworms are real

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

The Dennis System posted:

Giant mice would be wiped out by predators like lions and wolfs.

owe uh huh, like giant sloths and earthworms were??

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Man, Redwall is a lot darker than I remember.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks to this thread I found out the wandering albatross has the longest wingspan currently at loving 10-13 feet. It can stay in the air for HOURS without flapping its wings and only weighs like 28 pounds.

Holy poo poo.

They apparently circumnavigate the globe 3 times a year :popeye::trumppop::golf:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i read somewhere that field mice are one of the few animals in the world that can both sustain a fall from a high distance because of their light weight but also able to break the surface tension of water.

i have not followed up this with any sort of research and it could have been some fever dream i had during my times in st petersburg fighting consumption

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Thanks to this thread I found out the wandering albatross has the longest wingspan currently at loving 10-13 feet. It can stay in the air for HOURS without flapping its wings and only weighs like 28 pounds.

Holy poo poo.

They apparently circumnavigate the globe 3 times a year :popeye::trumppop::golf:

The wandering albatross loving owns.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
evolution dictates that every now and then there's gonna be a big fuckin mouse, like maybe one that grows to twice the size of the others

then it's gonna try and crawl underneath a closed door like its little mice bros (hinged ribs so their whole body can go squiiiiish down into the floor to get under poo poo) and it gets stuck and starves to death while the little mice point and laugh

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=741_1479637997

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieAmdixoJ4w

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
OK real answer, it's evolution's answer to a problem: how can a mammal survive in an environment with limited resources and tons of predators? Small size means not as much food is needed for each individual, easier to hide from predators, easier to run and evade predators, and much faster breeding. Given the right conditions, like less predators and/or different food, over thousands to millions of years they might get bigger, like you see with the two videos above (Coypu and Gambian Pouched Rat).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
OP i have located this artist's rendering on what a giant mouse might look like

chilling stuff!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a thread about giant mice and no one's posted ferrets? smdh

http://i.imgur.com/4p5GgOE.gifv

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Zippy the Bummer posted:

is there a mouse-sized capybara

? tell me that. and no, dont tell a chipmunk to me, not the same poo poo at all

not reading that

Yea they're called guinea pigs.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Heres a cool Rodent Fact.

They have no gag reflex and can't vomit, making every mouse a world champion deepthroater if it weren't for the fact that they are all teeth.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Maldoror posted:

OK real answer, it's evolution's answer to a problem: how can a mammal survive in an environment with limited resources and tons of predators? Small size means not as much food is needed for each individual, easier to hide from predators, easier to run and evade predators, and much faster breeding. Given the right conditions, like less predators and/or different food, over thousands to millions of years they might get bigger, like you see with the two videos above (Coypu and Gambian Pouched Rat).

yeah nature's pretty cool like that

a bigger mouse ends up needing more food so it can't live solely on grains it finds in the dirt, ends up having to climb trees to get nuts and poo poo; unfortunately living in trees requires a mouse to be a really fuckin good climber and jumper

one way for a mouse to jump better is if its tail is a lot heavier and more flexible, allowing it to be used for maneuvering, and even then being so fuckin big requires the mouse to learn brand new skills, such as gathering and stashing additional food supplies for the winter months

whoops, mouse just evolved into a squirrel

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
For the same reason there aren't tiny people op. Chimps aren't that much smaller so don't even try that poo poo.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OP, real answer: God just didn't feel like making big mice 6000 years ago when he made all the other animals.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

They are assholes to keep because you need a group of them and running water. As they'll only poo poo and piss in the pool.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I never knew that Mike Stoklasa had a pet capy

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

bradzilla posted:

a thread about giant mice and no one's posted ferrets? smdh

http://i.imgur.com/4p5GgOE.gifv

tube cats

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
if i was a ferret i would totally go first and be like , come in coast is clear and when my ferret buds rolled into the tube i would lay down a nasty fart right in their faces :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do you not think ROUS exist OP? smdh

• Locked thread