Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

NattyBo posted:

This is completely not true, his post game quote was that he didn't know HOW it happens.

So he doesn't understand the fundamental concept of a tie? Like he can't wrap his head around both equality of numbers or native americans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who likes Lasers?

Mexicans apparently

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The laser thing is apparently not unusual

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
The Ravens might be able to finish this game, instead of giving up at halftime.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

swickles posted:

So he doesn't understand the fundamental concept of a tie? Like he can't wrap his head around both equality of numbers or native americans?

Either that or he can't understand two teams can do bad at the same time

So yeah basically there's no result here where he isn't dumb as gently caress, even if you're outright trying to be polite to him for some odd reason

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Go titans
Go steelers
Go chargers

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intruder posted:

Oh yeah, if anything I have seen from Mexican soccer it was pretty low key

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yup. Torn labrum for Cutler. Everyone ready for Starting NFL Quarterback Matt loving Barkley? I know I am.

That second overall pick is in sight.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

Intruder posted:

Nope.

quote:

http://circa.com/whoa/the-bizarre/houston-texans-laser-pointer-flashed-at-players-on-monday-night-football
This isn't the first time

Mexico City's Estadio Azteca has had problems with laser pointers before. In a 2013 World Cup qualifying match, U.S. goalie Brad Guzan was targeted with green laser pointers.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

Yup. Torn labrum for Cutler. Everyone ready for Starting NFL Quarterback Matt loving Barkley? I know I am.

That second overall pick is in sight.

Hey bears fans, I watched that moron play for the Eagles in preseason. He's very confident in his ability to throw to the point of not bothering to check what color uniform the other guy is wearing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
And this is any different from Jay "Picked off by DeAngelo Hall 4 times in the same game" Cutler....how?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

swickles posted:

More likely he was incredulous that it happened, like "How the gently caress did that just happen?"

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...rback%20

Can somebody with insider help me out here? As somebody who went from 'glad we didn't have to take the rapist' to 'oh man maybe the rapist is better' to 'I think we got lucky' I need some help here.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

whypick1 posted:

And this is any different from Jay "Picked off by DeAngelo Hall 4 times in the same game" Cutler....how?

Barkley couldn't hit the same thing 4 times in a row if his entire family had guns to their heads.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

More likely he was incredulous that it happened, like "How the gently caress did that just happen?"

Yes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pubic works project posted:

Lmao the Colts were going to get their poo poo pushed in no matter what, but yeah having Luck would have made it a bit more interesting.

The Steelers also love to drop games to poo poo teams all the time. A short week where they travel feels like a possible trap game to me. It's what I'm hoping for at least, so I can justify watching it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TeeMerk posted:

N: Dallas has become the 3rd team in NFL history with 8 straight games of over 400 yards total offense. The other two were the 2007 Patriots and the 2013 Denver Broncos.

V: Both of those teams lost the Super Bowl

I'd be OK with that, if it didn't mean the Patriots were winning another Super Bowl

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bengals posters, how is your team going to adjust to losing Gio and AJ in the same week? Isn't that about 50% of your offensive production?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd be OK with that, if it didn't mean the Patriots were winning another Super Bowl

So someone said teams with worse defenses than the Patriots have won the Superbowl, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone have any examples?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So someone said teams with worse defenses than the Patriots have won the Superbowl, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone have any examples?

2011 Giants had a pretty bad one I think. Saints couldn't have had a great one that year, either.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The problem is, you have to use the eye test or something like DVOA to rank defenses, because by points allowed the Patriots are 3rd in the league due to playing well in the red zone / and against some really bad offenses.

Like the Saints were 20th in points allowed when they won, but they got a ton of turnovers from spearing guys in the knee / head and Rodney Harrison isn't walking through that door.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

New England is third overall this year in team defense at 18 points per game given up. So I disagree with your starting point for this question.

But if you are serious, the 2006 championship Colts had a markedly worse defense.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

Bengals posters, how is your team going to adjust to losing Gio and AJ in the same week? Isn't that about 50% of your offensive production?

Gio's loss will be more impactful to the Bengal's depth at the position. He hasn't had a very good year. They now only have 2 RB on the active roster. Losing AJ is huge. It means double coverage for Tyler Eifert and I have no faith in the other WRs to even partially pick up the slack. They weren't very good when they had AJ Green taking double coverage.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Only division with no winning record :toot:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also don't forget the Giants beat the Cowboys because of an incredibly stupid play by the receiver.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I came to post that this

is utter dogshit. How do you not go with a Native American theme?

And then I saw the other side.

:black101:
:perfect:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Barkley had a good last game of the preseason and people were clamoring for him over Stanton. 20/29 for 262 yards and a TD

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Where did you find the other side of the helmet? I am curious what accompanies the Bear's cyberwhale.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

crying, drinking heavily, cheering for the Raiders in no particular order but that's just me

Hill's not a bad RB but man now we have an average OL, one half of a good RB, a relatively ok but inconsistent QB, and a decent receiving corps which will see Eifert double covered all the time as someone already noted. The other WRs on the roster are either not noteworthy or rookies, and AJ has bigass shoes to be filled.

I hope we drop the next game to the Ravens so at least the Steelers don't make the playoffs

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Dave posted:

Also don't forget the Giants beat the Cowboys because of an incredibly stupid play by the receiver.

This gives too much blame to Williams and doesn't get enough credit to the Giants, who basically iced the game on the drive before. Even if Williams had gone out there, it would have been a 65-yard attempt. As much as I like Bailey, acting like it was a surefire win for the Cowboys if Williams goes out of bounds is dumb as poo poo.

Kalli posted:

The problem is, you have to use the eye test or something like DVOA to rank defenses, because by points allowed the Patriots are 3rd in the league due to playing well in the red zone / and against some really bad offenses.

Like the Saints were 20th in points allowed when they won, but they got a ton of turnovers from spearing guys in the knee / head and Rodney Harrison isn't walking through that door.

The 06 Colts probably had the worst defense of the winning bunch over the past decade. Teams with a great offense and a bad/mediocre defense typically rely on playing with a lead to make up for deficiencies in the defense--the Colts had an undersized unit that was among the league's worst at defending the run for years, but it never mattered because Peyton could reliably score in 2 minutes and when you're down 14 with 8 minutes left in the 4th, it doesn't matter how good you are at running the ball (see also: That insane Colts-Dolphins game from 2009). It solves a lot of defensive problems when you can drop more guys into coverage and suddenly generate turnovers. So these teams appear to "tighten up" on defense in the playoffs when they can rattle off a string of high-scoring games against teams with weaker defenses, but if they don't jump to early leads, they struggle, and that's more likely to happen against good defenses (and in the Super Bowl).

The Cowboys' defense falls definitely plays with a similar classification, but they've been really good at preventing big plays, or giving up plays that go for more yardage than the opposing team needed, which has helped them come back from losing situations this year. They play decently in coverage, but aren't good against the run, don't have a good pass rush, and drop a lot of INTs that would otherwise seal contests. They're more like an average defense than a bad one, but they're only a couple of injuries away from becoming the latter at any given moment.

The Seahawks have been the most balanced team to make the Super Bowl in recent years, though the 2012 Broncos were probably close, just way way better on Offense than Defense. Though they clearly poo poo the bed really bad in the Super Bowl... opening the game with a bad snap resulting in a safety is always a very bad sign. The Panthers were also reasonably balanced as well.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

How much of the Colts D being lackluster was due to Bob Sanders missing his required 10 weeks out of the season and coming back just in time for the playoffs?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

whypick1 posted:

How much of the Colts D being lackluster was due to Bob Sanders missing his required 10 weeks out of the season and coming back just in time for the playoffs?
If we're talking about their run defense, their lacklusterness had a lot to do with him being out. With Sanders back in the lineup, the Chiefs had trouble running on them in the Wild Card round that season. Without him, MJD ran all over them a few weeks prior and the Jaguars curb stomped them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is cool not just because Tom is the best but because the NFL PR Guy prints out things then takes a picture of them and uploads that to twitter:

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/801113359227777024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Want an excuse to poo poo on Jimmy Haslan? Of course you do:

http://deadspin.com/browns-charge-job-seekers-up-to-105-to-enter-useless-1789265355

quote:

The career fair was billed as an opportunity for those looking to make a career in the sports industry to connect with potential employers from around the Cleveland area. An Eventbrite invitation described the event as a “unique opportunity to get to meet employers from NFL, NBA, MLB and MLB teams and other organizations in the sports industry, looking to fill various entry level jobs and internship positions,” and listed over a dozen teams, including the Indians and Cavaliers, that would be in attendance.

The event was organized by three Browns employees in ticket sales, and attendees were given two options for admission: $65 for admission plus a 500-level ticket to Sunday’s Steelers-Browns game, or $105 for admission plus a 100-level ticket.

A local college student who went to the career fair told me, “Every single company I spoke with was only looking for ticket sales interns and that was it. They could not answer questions about anything else such as finance, marketing, or athletic training internships, which some people who attended were expecting to hear about. All they did was direct you to a website and told you to sign up for job alerts.” Another student who is studying finance said, “The only thing any organization seemed to be looking for was sales and especially ticket sales.”

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Kalli posted:

This is cool not just because Tom is the best but because the NFL PR Guy prints out things then takes a picture of them and uploads that to twitter:

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/801113359227777024

LOL at Roethlisberger's yardage.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Franco Harris, Stephen Pitts, Jeff Bergstrom, Jeff Butya, Craig Cirbus, Tom Couch, Tom Donchez, Rudy Glocker, Brian Hand, Christian Marrone, Brian Masella, Bob Mrosko, Greg Murphy, John Nessel, Rick Nichols, Joel Ramich, Mickey Schuler Sr., Brad Scovill, Brandon Short, Ray Tesner and Dan Wallace posted:

We find the recent statement by DeAndre Levy about Coach Paterno appalling, along with the silence that has accompanied it. To joyfully and proudly take credit for hurting a defenseless human being is sad, in and of itself. But, to couple this gleeful statement with a willful ignorance of the facts and circumstances surrounding our coach speaks to a complete lack of character and moral integrity on the part of Mr. Levy. Mr. Levy's comments reflect poorly on him, his university, the Detroit Lions and the NFL, and are certainly deserving of vocal condemnation.

:ironicat:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

4 years ago today (the event, not the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etQFxQW7km8

:allears:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/NOBUTTSTUFF/status/801140413063000064

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

The "along with the silence that accompanies it" line is just absolutely loving rich, I wish I was half this good at being a baldfaced bullshitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pats' Alan Branch popped for weed, out 4 games

• Locked thread