Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

whypick1 posted:

How much of the Colts D being lackluster was due to Bob Sanders missing his required 10 weeks out of the season and coming back just in time for the playoffs?

That defense was basically built on the offense getting the lead and then letting Freeney and Mathis loose to rush. They could be run on, but normally teams would be down and couldn't stick with the run because they couldn't keep up with scoring.

Bob Sanders by himself basically turned that around where he could get in the box and destroy the other team's running game. He was also pretty good at coverage and always seemed to be around the ball making plays.

The offense sputtered in the first couple of playoff games and Sanders was pretty much the whole reason the defense carried the Colts through their Wild Card and Divisional games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If you remove all of the NFC East opponents from the teams that have played the Cowboys, those teams are 32-40. Not the greatest but you have the Browns who are 0-8 and the 49ers who are 1-8 against non-NFC East opponents included in there.

FYI. The NFC East is 5-2, 4-2-1, 5-2 and 7-0 versus non-division opponents. The two other teams that have winning records outside of playing the NFC East are the Ravens (5-2) and Steelers (4-3). Then you have the Bengals (3-4) and Packers (3-4) close to 500 when not playing the NFC-E. The Bears, Browns, and 49ers really drag down the number of wins because they are all terrible.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/801149773122248704

lol

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fishing with the fam posted:

Yup. Torn labrum for Cutler. Everyone ready for Starting NFL Quarterback Matt loving Barkley? I know I am.

That second overall pick is in sight.

They re-signed David Fales from the Ravens' practice squad

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

quote:

If you remove all of the NFC East opponents from the teams that have played the Cowboys, those teams are 32-40. Not the greatest but you have the Browns who are 0-8 and the 49ers who are 1-8 against non-NFC East opponents included in there.

FYI. The NFC East is 5-2, 4-2-1, 5-2 and 7-0 versus non-division opponents. The two other teams that have winning records outside of playing the NFC East are the Ravens (5-2) and Steelers (4-3). Then you have the Bengals (3-4) and Packers (3-4) close to 500 when not playing the NFC-E. The Bears, Browns, and 49ers really drag down the number of wins because they are all terrible.

also the 49ers only play one NFC East team whereas the Bears/Browns get 4 games so the 1-8 from them skews things a bit unevenly in terms of who the nfc east as a whole got

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

2011 Giants had a pretty bad one I think. Saints couldn't have had a great one that year, either.

Yes, the 2011 Giants had the 27th ranked defense in yards per game and were also dead last in rushing yards per game and rushing yards per attempt on offense and only made the playoffs exclusively because their quarterback and 2 receivers carried the rest of the team kicking and screaming to a 9-7 record

"Eli Manning can't win without a team carrying him" - dumb fuccbois

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fuckboys.

Noice.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nice short read comparing Winston and Mariota so far: http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/126601/tale-of-the-tape-jameis-winston-vs-marcus-mariota

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lote posted:

The Lions would only be 4-4 if they hadn't played the NFC East.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, a new thing the Cowboys are doing that is very different from past years is that they are winning by much larger margins and blowing out teams. It seems like in previous years, most games were nail biters where the Cowboys had to pull poo poo out of their rear end to win. The only close games this year have been the vs. Giants, @ Redskins, @ 49ers, vs. Eagles, and @ Steelers. The 5 other games have been 2+ score blowouts which never used to happen.

I'm only analyzing the teams that the Cowboys have played.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
A lot of these Cowboys wins are like watching something be slowly crushed by an extremely heavy weight. It's not flashy but it kind of owns. :killdozer:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Good read.

We are so loving doomed.

http://deadspin.com/the-chiefs-have-real-problems-1789266197

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lol at Winston having a similar deep ball accuracy as Mariota

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Where do you see the line graph of a team's chances to win as the game goes on? I want to see what the change was when O'Brien punted with 3 minutes left

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

Where do you see the line graph of a team's chances to win as the game goes on? I want to see what the change was when O'Brien punted with 3 minutes left

Isn't that on ESPN's site? Like under summary?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Punting, on 4th and 6, at your opponents 40 yd line, when you have 1 timeout, 3 min on the clock, and down 7......

It's insanity

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No they were on their own 40, but still

e: Ok so I guess it didn't actually change the odds all that much

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Intruder posted:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201611210rai.htm

not much :shrug:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

In a random NFL game vacuum there's not a huge difference but in this game it made little sense the way the raiders were moving the ball

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think those graphs are inaccurate, based on the number of times we see where a team has a <1% chance of winning come back and win.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, 4th and 5 down 7 on your side of the field with 3 minutes left means your odds of winning are really low as is, but punting probably is that change from 92% chance of losing to 97%

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Gynecolojustice posted:

I think those graphs are inaccurate, based on the number of times we see where a team has a <1% chance of winning come back and win.

A vast majority of the time people look up and post these graphs are in the case of teams making improbable comebacks. How often do you see a graph posted of the Patriots beating the Dolphins by 24 in a game that was never in question? Never. Because nobody cares to look.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

In a random NFL game vacuum there's not a huge difference but in this game it made little sense the way the raiders were moving the ball

i don't think you should ever punt it there because the probability of making it is better than that of any team going 3 and out and punting it, and even then you are basically back where you started with less time on the clock and one fewer timeout

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A vast majority of the time people look up and post these graphs are in the case of teams making improbable comebacks. How often do you see a graph posted of the Patriots beating the Dolphins by 24 in a game that was never in question? Never. Because nobody cares to look.

Sometimes people try to find the games where a team flatlined the fastest, like that Pats - Titans game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200910180nwe.htm

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

hifi posted:

i don't think you should ever punt it there because the probability of making it is better than that of any team going 3 and out and punting it, and even then you are basically back where you started with less time on the clock and one fewer timeout

Basically I'd only punt in that situation if I was the 2000 ravens or another team where I was certain that my defense was more likely to cause a turnover then my quarterback pick up a first down.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I wonder what that blip two thirds of the way through the fourth quarter is? At that point it doesn't seem like anything should effect that outcome.

Edit: That is probably my all time favorite box score.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

I wonder what that blip two thirds of the way through the fourth quarter is? At that point it doesn't seem like anything should effect that outcome.

Brian Hoyer left tackle for 4 yards (tackle by Stephen Tulloch)

is the play right at that time. It's a drive the Patriots Punted.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

brian hoyer ran for 4 yards on 2nd and 10 which turned the 1.71 expected points into 1.55 expected points. my guess is the algorithm noticed on that play the titans were probably getting the ball back with "enough" time to come back and then by the time they actually got the ball back there wasn't enough time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd guess rounding error.

Heck, they had negative passing yards at that point in the game. That could've hosed up something in the formula.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The first thing I saw when I turned the game on yesterday was Brock throwing directly into a Raiders' hands, the ball flying back, and Brock catching it for a 5 yard loss.

I turned the game off.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

I'd guess rounding error.

Heck, they had negative passing yards at that point in the game. That could've hosed up something in the formula.

That game was my favorite Vince Young thing other than when he was on the Eagles, Vick got concussed and left the game, VY came in and immediately threw a pick so they told Vick no you don't have a concussion and sent him back in

e: If I'm remembering that right anyway

a neat cape posted:

The first thing I saw when I turned the game on yesterday was Brock throwing directly into a Raiders' hands, the ball flying back, and Brock catching it for a 5 yard loss.

I turned the game off.

After that was a false start

After that was a touchdown pass :lol:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 22, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jeff Fisher's comprehensive misery in that game is the best thing. He's freezing his nuts off in the snow while his team eats a historic blowout loss in the most embarrassing way possible. You just KNOW he went into the game thinking he could play a 9-6 shitfest Fisherball game because of the snowstorm, and then the Patriots throw on every down and the numbers just keep going up, up, up!

And to top it all off, the Patriots pull Brady and quit trying to score anymore in the 3rd quarter... and then Hoyer scores another touchdown.

What I'm saying is gently caress Jeff Fisher. :dunkedon:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jeff Fisher's disgusting frozen booger encrusted mustache

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Sometimes people try to find the games where a team flatlined the fastest, like that Pats - Titans game: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200910180nwe.htm

Find that Falcons-bucs game from a few years back when Tampa bay didn't even get off the bus.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

FizFashizzle posted:

Find that Falcons-bucs game from a few years back when Tampa bay didn't even get off the bus.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201409180atl.htm

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Seahawks cut JaMarcus Webb, lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Even that game has nothing to compete with this gem of a stat line:

code:
Player          Tm  Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Lng Rate Att Yds TD  Fmb
Kerry Collins   TEN   2  12  -7  0   1  0   0  15  4.9   3  -1  0    2
Vince Young     TEN   0   2   0  0   1  0   0   0  0.0   2  -1  0    1
Edited to add Vince Young coming to the rescue! And all the fumbles!

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 22, 2016

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Even that game has nothing to compete with this gem of a stat line:

code:
Player          Tm  Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Lng Rate  Att Yds
Kerry Collins   TEN   2  12  -7  0   1  0   0  15  4.9    3  -1

So he threw three completions. One to an enemy, one for 15 yards, and one for -22 yards. Yep. Just another day at the office.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Wonder what RB Seahawks are going to sign

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

lmao, 90+% chance of winning with 5 mins left in the 1st quarter. I loved that game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What the gently caress did I do to the patriot posters to deserve this

• Locked thread