Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

This is the reason that Flat Earth is so attractive to people.

It restores geocentrism. The entirety of existence revolves around us. In that universe, it would make a lot more sense for humans to be some kind of special being inhabited by an interior invisible light, instead of just another animal that happens to have a large and incredibly complex brain thanks to sexual selection.

That's why NASA and the other space agencies end up getting cast as lucifers and harbingers of end times prophecies. The blending of pseudoscience conspiracies and ancient religious dogma in the youtube age is just incredible.

Yinlock posted:

that and they're real fuckin' dumb

This, but also extremely narcissistic and insecure.
Such narcissism naturally lends itself to thinking they know more than people in the past and present who studied this poo poo for their entire lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think you guys are taking the obvious "FAKE!" meme posts a little too seriously

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

You Will Not BELIEVE How Many People Think This Song Is Darude - Sandstorm

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
95% of 2016 NASA budget devoted to disproving GOD??? click here to find out more

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i loving hope space travel is affordable in my life time

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
your traveling through space atm

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
pretty quickly!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i know. but i want to experience 0g

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think you guys are taking the obvious "FAKE!" meme posts a little too seriously

it would be pretty comforting if they were actually fake

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

You can always crawl into a cardboard box and ask somebody to toss you off a bridge.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Jose posted:

Jump off a bridge

Or vomit comet, it's probably fairly affordable if you save up your pesos.

Edit: I just noticed your name is Jose. The pesos thing was a joke, dunno if you're actually mexican or whatever.

TheDon01 has issued a correction as of 10:06 on Dec 2, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jose posted:

i loving hope space travel is affordable in my life time

How are you defining 'affordable'?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
musk said 100k to mars

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Baloogan posted:

musk said 100k to mars

Let me restate the position I have taken over the past year of 'gently caress mars'

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Let me remind everyone that one of the probable implications of current exoplanet research is that super earth's are good and strong places for life to exist. Earth and (probably Venus) are comparatively garbage planets for life and the sun is probably on the high end for life bearing stars. So in a way we are special but just in the way we wanted...

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

what if when you dowloaded your consciousness the "physical" you died instantly? An immortal digitized copy of yourself is made, but from the perspective of the "you" that pressed the download button, it's an instant cut-to-black. The end. Would you still do it? (same deal with teleportation, ala The Prestige).

only a loser would do this. the hells the point if im dead

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

i think the point is you kinda ascend to a higher plane, is all that you are your consciousness? whos to say that its you every time you wake up in the morning?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Baloogan posted:

i think the point is you kinda ascend to a higher plane, is all that you are your consciousness? whos to say that its you every time you wake up in the morning?
me. i say im me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

me. i say im me.

how can u be sure? what evidence do u have that ur the same u every morning?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Baloogan posted:

:weed:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Baloogan posted:

this is retarded. what evidence do i have that im not some autistic kids dream?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

Terror Sweat posted:

this is retarded.

excuuuuuuuse me i thought u had wanted like discussion or something instead of just making GBS threads on a neat sci fi concept and high tailing it outta hear jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Baloogan posted:

excuuuuuuuse me i thought u had wanted like discussion or something instead of just making GBS threads on a neat sci fi concept and high tailing it outta hear jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ

fine, ill give you an answer. its the same drat ship. when it was created it was given a name and brought into this world as a whole. no amount of replacement will change that

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i am me until i am given 100% proof that i am not me. then i am a clone of me

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what would constitute proof that you are not you? say, you woke up one morning in a robot body, but still felt like you, what would you do to verify who you are?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Lawman 0 posted:

Let me remind everyone that one of the probable implications of current exoplanet research is that super earth's are good and strong places for life to exist. Earth and (probably Venus) are comparatively garbage planets for life and the sun is probably on the high end for life bearing stars. So in a way we are special but just in the way we wanted...

Pretty sure those super Earths have so much gravity that they gently caress up the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation so bad its impossible to leave their atmosphere with chemical rockets. So yeah they might have life but it'll be physically short, and if intelligent, incapable of leaving, unless they Project Orion their way out.

Venus is a better target for colonization than Mars anyway. Temperature and gravity are Earthlike at a few dozen miles above the surface. It's also closer and easier to get to, and breathable air is a lifting gas at that altitude so making a floating city platform thing isn't that untenable.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 2, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baloogan posted:

pretty quickly!

fk

what do i hold onto, im careening and theres nothiing i can do

if the earth stop rotating, everything would fly off instantaneously

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Baloogan posted:

Everyone should just chill.

And by "chill", I mean watch the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror, then pick an Era.

My era would be 1994, and I already know the lyrics to I Saw The Sun by Ace of Bass.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Terror Sweat posted:

well actually it's a good and noble thing to do, because you don't really know whether you're going to be the "you" that wakes up inside the computer or the "you" that dies... kind of. The "computer you" will remember pressing that button and being absolutely, positively sure that it was about to die, and then will be shocked to discover that it's "still alive". It will be so happy and relieved and grateful to the "you" that pressed the button. Why wouldn't you want that for yourself?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Baloogan posted:

musk said 100k to mars

musk says a lot of ridiculous poo poo, it's his business model

100k wouldn't even cover the cost of launching your corpse into orbit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i want my corpse to float around space if i can manage it. as i'm not extremely rich i probably can't

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id like to rot in the ground on mars, or rot in the ground on earth. with all my organs k thx.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if i'm not being extremely wastefully being blasted into space i'd like my corpse to do something useful like have medical students laugh at my dick

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
http://www.clickhole.com/clickventure/want-leave-earth-go-colonize-mars-5118#1,

A worthwhile use of your time

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wanted to contribute to the space program, but the best I could do was to be the guy who pumps the fuel. Not even for the rockets, but for their trucks and stuff. And to be honest, I wouldn't even be as good at it as the guy who's currently pumping the gas, so the best thing I can do for the space program is to stay far away from it.

This goes for all of you as well. Just by walking into NASA, you're significantly lowering the collective IQ of the organization, which makes it harder to get things done. Keep your distance.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

id like to rot in the ground on mars, or rot in the ground on earth. with all my organs k thx.

someone has to maintain Waste Planetoid X19, so welcome to shitworld

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FabioClone posted:

I wanted to contribute to the space program, but the best I could do was to be the guy who pumps the fuel. Not even for the rockets, but for their trucks and stuff. And to be honest, I wouldn't even be as good at it as the guy who's currently pumping the gas, so the best thing I can do for the space program is to stay far away from it.

This goes for all of you as well. Just by walking into NASA, you're significantly lowering the collective IQ of the organization, which makes it harder to get things done. Keep your distance.

i always figured it was the funding of 5 dollars and some shiny beads that was doing it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

as a child I thought that my ideal after-death body disposal would be to launch my corpse into the sun but Kerbal space program taught me that launching poo poo into the sun is incredibly difficult and fuel consuming

how much would Elon Musk charge to get my fat corpse close enough to the sun that all solid and liquid matter would be stripped away by ionizing radiation

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo rotting in the ground is what god wants us to do. and like, its better to rot in the ground on a planet that desperately need fertilizer like mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gods like, big into plants and composting

• Locked thread