Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
consciousness is an illusion and you have no reason to think you are who you think you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think therefor i am

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

consciousness is an illusion and you have no reason to think you are who you think you are

then how am i thinking, idiot

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
u call that thinking?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You wouldn't rot on Mars.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

You wouldn't rot on Mars, idiots.

of course id rot on mars, im full of bacteria which would colonize the gently caress out of mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
your loving stupid dude to not realize we're full of bateria!!!!!! and the daytime summer temperatures on mars get up to like normal human temperatures, and some bateria love low oxygen enviroments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loving idiot you will never get to mars

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

your loving stupid dude to not realize we're full of bateria!!!!!! and the daytime summer temperatures on mars get up to like normal human temperatures, and some bateria love low oxygen enviroments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loving idiot you will never get to mars

lol like any bacteria could defeat the powerful mars AIDS

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
so, serious question, u think there is life on mars? like, viruses??

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
isn't there a theory about life evolving on mars first and coming to earth via a meteorite

this explains the intense drive every man feels to return his bacteria to mars

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
of course not, viruses are parasites totally dependent on the metabolism of others. what life that could eke out an existence would be fragile and fragmentary, a weak sun, biting cold, no liquid mediums for chemical rxns

do not hedge your bets on building a new biosphere on mars. preserve our fragile spaceship earth while we can

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
"get your rear end to mars" indeed, because a lot of bacteria comes out of there

intelligent design is really just a way for the bacteria to create an animal capable of building spaceships to return it to its homeland

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

of course not, viruses are parasites totally dependent on the metabolism of others. what life that could eke out an existence would be fragile and fragmentary, a weak sun, biting cold, no liquid mediums for chemical rxns

do not hedge your bets on building a new biosphere on mars. preserve our fragile spaceship earth while we can

that's why it's mars aids and not normal aids

man you're really not on the ball today

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

gently caress you im gonna burn so much wood over the winter
im gonna try to do all my cooking on the wood stove and then im going to fail misterably and use the electric stove LIKE A DOG

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the purpose of life is to live

similarly, the purpose of consciousness to perpetuate itself. the form it takes matters not, be it fleshbrains, or AI, or uploads, or nanobot swarms, so long as they can interact with one another with art and language

the destruction of this biosphere jeopardizes this. maybe this fleshform will be obsolete one day, maybe one day we will no longer need this earth. but for now, ration it wisely, make it last as long as it can

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"the purpose of consciousness"

who's purpose? imo consciousness is one of the many divine gifts granted by god or an 'accident' in the same way an ant hill is so intricate and cool is an 'accident'.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Phobophilia posted:

similarly, the purpose of consciousness to perpetuate itself. the form it takes matters not, be it fleshbrains, or AI, or uploads, or nanobot swarms, so long as they can interact with one another with art and language

idk, personally I feel some strange loyalty to the species, I guess. maybe it's just jealousy of the capacities of AI, but I think the root is my fear of death and desire for immortality. Most people achieve it through their kids, but when AI comes humanity will go extinct soon after, so it's not like my genes will be carried on. I'd capture that sense of immortality if I was one of the founders of a Martian colony and got a future cities and martian streets named after me, but that's unlikely.

I'd feel pride in AI if I was the guy that invented it, but just having been a member of the species that produced it isn't enough for me to feel happy about it, especially if its the thing that ends up killing me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if i die i'll be dead so won't give a poo poo so people can laugh at my dick or whatever while they carve me up to make my corpse be useful instead of just rotting in the ground

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

gently caress you im gonna burn so much wood over the winter
im gonna try to do all my cooking on the wood stove and then im going to fail misterably and use the electric stove LIKE A DOG

just get a propane or alcohol stove, works off the grid but you still get the fine temperature control that your crepes Suzette and seared sweetmeats in brandy sauce so sorely need

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

idk, personally I feel some strange loyalty to the species, I guess. maybe it's just jealousy of the capacities of AI, but I think the root is my fear of death and desire for immortality. Most people achieve it through their kids, but when AI comes humanity will go extinct soon after, so it's not like my genes will be carried on. I'd capture that sense of immortality if I was one of the founders of a Martian colony and got a future cities and martian streets named after me, but that's unlikely.

I'd feel pride in AI if I was the guy that invented it, but just having been a member of the species that produced it isn't enough for me to feel happy about it, especially if its the thing that ends up killing me.

I don't know, if dogs evolved sapience and opposable thumbs, I honestly wouldn't care that much whether it was my dog's great-to-the-nth grandchildren or mine that eventually ended up inheriting the Earth. Same with AI, really. Also, AIs don't really compete for the same resources we do, so if we go to war with them, it's gonna be over some really stupid poo poo.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Jose posted:

if i die i'll be dead so won't give a poo poo so people can laugh at my dick or whatever while they carve me up to make my corpse be useful instead of just rotting in the ground

if you dont get a coffin and dont pump yourself full of formaldehyde your corpse is very useful underground

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah thats exactly it im gonna rot in the ground and eventually hopefully become soil and spell out c u c k in flowers

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

The cosmos are filled with machine intelligence. Wonder if that is why they are so silent.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Imagine you're a scrambler.

Imagine you have intellect but no insight, agendas but no awareness. Your circuitry hums with strategies for survival and persistence, flexible, intelligent, even technological—but no other circuitry monitors it. You can think of anything, yet are conscious of nothing.

You can't imagine such a being, can you? The term being doesn't even seem to apply, in some fundamental way you can't quite put your finger on.

Try.

Imagine that you encounter a signal. It is structured, and dense with information. It meets all the criteria of an intelligent transmission. Evolution and experience offer a variety of paths to follow, branch-points in the flowcharts that handle such input. Sometimes these signals come from conspecifics who have useful information to share, whose lives you'll defend according to the rules of kin selection. Sometimes they come from competitors or predators or other inimical entities that must be avoided or destroyed; in those cases, the information may prove of significant tactical value. Some signals may even arise from entities which, while not kin, can still serve as allies or symbionts in mutually beneficial pursuits. You can derive appropriate responses for any of these eventualities, and many others.

You decode the signals, and stumble:

I had a great time. I really enjoyed him. Even if he cost twice as much as any other hooker in the dome—

To fully appreciate Kesey's Quartet—

They hate us for our freedom—

Pay attention, now—

Understand.

There are no meaningful translations for these terms. They are needlessly recursive. They contain no usable intelligence, yet they are structured intelligently; there is no chance they could have arisen by chance.

The only explanation is that something has coded nonsense in a way that poses as a useful message; only after wasting time and effort does the deception becomes apparent. The signal functions to consume the resources of a recipient for zero payoff and reduced fitness. The signal is a virus.

Viruses do not arise from kin, symbionts, or other allies.

The signal is an attack.

And it's coming from right about there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd download my brain into a robot body i think

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

our fixation on mars is patriarchal, we should be making dope rear end cloud cities on venus instead

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

well actually it's a good and noble thing to do, because you don't really know whether you're going to be the "you" that wakes up inside the computer or the "you" that dies... kind of. The "computer you" will remember pressing that button and being absolutely, positively sure that it was about to die, and then will be shocked to discover that it's "still alive". It will be so happy and relieved and grateful to the "you" that pressed the button. Why wouldn't you want that for yourself?

Because I'd be dead you ignoramus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Dude: a few months ago, on the anniversary of the moon landing, I was running late for my History of Christianity final. I-5 was backed up for miles, and I was about to not graduate and ruin my life.

roflmao at the idea that missing a final on the history of christianity could ruin your life

if your major is that pointless, its already ruined

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Trumpenproletariat posted:

roflmao at the idea that missing a final on the history of christianity could ruin your life

if your major is that pointless, its already ruined

if I had failed the class I wouldn't have graduated that quarter. I was scheduled to start law school on the other side of the continent three weeks later, so my life would've pretty much fallen apart!!! so yeah, I did leverage my entire professional future on one test that I almost missed by sleeping in. who is the dumb one now, huh nml?!?!?!

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Maduo posted:

our fixation on mars is patriarchal, we should be making dope rear end cloud cities on venus instead

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
living on planets is actually hugely expensive and wasteful, the vast majority of the future human population are going to live in space colonies

so gently caress mars

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Oh yeh, my preference would definitely be a ringworld-type multigenerational colony ship , where we push out to the stars in the general direction of a habitable exoplanet and hope. It could be nice and comfortable like the ships at the ends of Interstellar, and you also get cool sci-fi scenarios where like after 20 generations Earth becomes such a distant dream that it's just a part of their religion and such.

But for whatever reasons the powers-that-be are pushing Mars, and so Mars it is.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Oh yeh, my preference would definitely be a ringworld-type multigenerational colony ship , where we push out to the stars in the general direction of a habitable exoplanet and hope. It could be nice and comfortable like the ships at the ends of Interstellar, and you also get cool sci-fi scenarios where like after 20 generations Earth becomes such a distant dream that it's just a part of their religion and such.

But for whatever reasons the powers-that-be are pushing Mars, and so Mars it is.

I think the plan is to terraform mars.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tho obviously we would get to mars, terraform mars, civilization would collapse, and people on mars would lose space flight etc and be all confused in a thousand years and there would be no evidence of evolution so obviously they were divinely created on mars

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

rudatron posted:

living on planets is actually hugely expensive and wasteful, the vast majority of the future human population are going to live in space colonies

so gently caress mars

Stanford Torus, Bernal Sphere, or O'Neil cylinder?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
none of the above

actual stations will probably look more like borg cubes

all the other ones have wasted space, and your #1 most important resource in space is going to be 'pressurized volume', because that's the most expensive area, every bit of surface area needs shielding, and all of it has to be maintained with multiple layers of redundancy, so you don't lose atmosphere

meaning those dreams of mirrors and loads of glass windows is bullshit, that's stupid. all light in stations will be provided by fluorescent lights, powered by sun-exposed solar cells

with the majority of industry areas (and anything else) shoved into unpressurized (open) space, as much as possible.

so the irony here is that, in spite of space being vast, people are going to be stuck in tin cans, very compactly

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the most expensive thing ever built

it's glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also heat is going to be a massive big problem, especially with stuff like foundaries and industry

space is cold but a perfect insulator, which is why even the iss, needs those little white things sticking out the side - those are radiators

• Locked thread