Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
especially with nuclear reactors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
@rudeatron u should check out Children of a Dead Earth its like space combat game with realistic physics

got a seal of approval from Atomic Rockets the website

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
ta

i only ever check out teh steam frontpage, and had legit never heard of this game before

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baloogan posted:

Tho obviously we would get to mars, terraform mars, civilization would collapse, and people on mars would lose space flight etc and be all confused in a thousand years and there would be no evidence of evolution so obviously they were divinely created on mars

i'd like to see a film about this

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64HCi2rQkE

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

alright I get just hit n' run posting weird soviet art doesn't get my point across very well so let me break this down for y'all

you know what's already at sea level pressure? the upper atmosphere of venus.

you know what's already got real good shielding from solar radiation? fuckin' venus.

you know what won't turn your bones into pool noodles like space or mars would? the 90% earths gravity on

mother

fuckin'

venus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0az7DEwG68A

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
why can't we build sky cities on earth, what benefits does venus bring?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
you're also facing a number of other challenges:

your cities have to be bouyant, which is going to place massive limits on what they can look like/how much they cost
you have to do that while still dealing with weather
you have to harvest metal/metal ores to actually make anything, which means dealing with the surface and its conditions
you still have to escape the venutian gravity well to get back into space, which means launching back from ~1g (also you're launching from floating cities, totes safe right?)
you're going to need exotic materials to make the whole thing work, because you're essentially building a 'shorter' space elevator

compared to those problems, shielding from space rays & inertial gravity isn't that hard

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Normal rear end earth air floats in the venusian atmosphere, so we just need a steel balloon full of that and we're good. We could probably figure a way out to make cloud cities here too but we don't really need them. Compared to mars venus is way easier to live on, but nothings ever gonna beat living on earth.

Although I guess the biggest problem with venus as a colony is we don't really 'get' anything from it other than living space. Except for what we skim from the clouds, all the resources are on the surface and we haven't made anything that survives THAT for more than a couple of minutes.

edit: also all those things rudatron said. Some of those are probably easier to overcome than they sound but eventually you either have to deal with getting to the surface or getting to space.

Maduo has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Dec 12, 2016

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

However gravity is still the hugest issue with space colonies and isn't as easy to handwave as it sounds. To make a station have proper gravity it either has to spin really fast or be incredibly big, both of which introduce more problems. We can deal with most of the other issues with space okay but humans do very badly over a long time without gravity.

I'd definitely take a space station over mars though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

make everyoe wear chain mail and have the floor be magnetized

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

you're also facing a number of other challenges:

your cities have to be bouyant, which is going to place massive limits on what they can look like/how much they cost
you have to do that while still dealing with weather
you have to harvest metal/metal ores to actually make anything, which means dealing with the surface and its conditions
you still have to escape the venutian gravity well to get back into space, which means launching back from ~1g (also you're launching from floating cities, totes safe right?)
you're going to need exotic materials to make the whole thing work, because you're essentially building a 'shorter' space elevator

compared to those problems, shielding from space rays & inertial gravity isn't that hard

imo our orbital habitats will be drilling holes in a asteroid then spinning it up. why gently caress around with tin cans? live where the resources are. live IN the resources.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
find a dirty iceball or a icy asteroid and live there forever singing songs about how dumb earth is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mars is extremely cold and dry and that sounds good to me as somewhere to live. gently caress venus and its boiling acid atmosphere

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just get a hose from the venusian atmosphere into space and pump it into ships to unload into mars and replenish its own sparse atmosphere. Optimally, that makes two more habitable planets as mars has a dense enough atmosphere to keep liquid water on the surface and shields against radiation and Venus gets a thinner atmosphere that doesn't crush everything at the surface (it's still acidic as gently caress, but it's one less problem on the whole).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
there is no way that happens even in super future

what might happen is redirecting comets to smash into mars along with big googly oogly vats of engineered bacteria

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

imo our orbital habitats will be drilling holes in a asteroid then spinning it up. why gently caress around with tin cans? live where the resources are. live IN the resources.
the issue with that is that not all asteroids are goign to have the same chemical composition, and colonies are going to need a wide variety of resources to run efficiently

meaning that long-distance hauling of resources is already happening

meaning that the optimal colony placement is not necessarily on an asteroid, but 'near' enough asteroids such that it can get everything it needs

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

find a dirty iceball or a icy asteroid and live there forever singing songs about how dumb earth is

I want a concept album about hillbilly asteroid miners

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Agean90 posted:

I want a concept album about hillbilly asteroid miners

i got u fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOrpFeXUao

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was thinking more like hydroponic bluegrass about airlocking the boss when he tries to hire scabs, but that works too.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Kind of a shame about the radiation environment around Europa, but what about a colony on Enceladus? Just think of the view.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

One issue of built orbital stations I don't see come up often is that of just keeping up with the gradual decay of the interior and the structure itself. Condensed water, particulates, microorganisms, etc. is going to build up everywhere and corrode stuff, especially in inaccessible places like ducts and the insides of machinery, so it needs to be easy to keep clean. Even so, modules would have to be continuously broken up and replaced when their maintenance stopped being cost-effective. And with a small, closed ecosystem and low organic diversity you're going to be facing the space version of algal blooms.

Simulated gravity, direct sunlight, clean air, downtime, etc: All luxuries. A space habitat is going to look (and presumably smell) something like this most of the time:

In general, I suspect there are big remaining challenges in a lot of relatively unglamorous fields like ecology, biology, industrial processes and modular design. The rocket stuff is mostly working, and it's just a tiny piece of the puzzle anyhow.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
There's got to be a better way!

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot
did anyone say Get Your rear end To Mars yet?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Maduo posted:

Normal rear end earth air floats in the venusian atmosphere, so we just need a steel balloon full of that and we're good. We could probably figure a way out to make cloud cities here too but we don't really need them. Compared to mars venus is way easier to live on, but nothings ever gonna beat living on earth.

Although I guess the biggest problem with venus as a colony is we don't really 'get' anything from it other than living space. Except for what we skim from the clouds, all the resources are on the surface and we haven't made anything that survives THAT for more than a couple of minutes.

edit: also all those things rudatron said. Some of those are probably easier to overcome than they sound but eventually you either have to deal with getting to the surface or getting to space.

You seem to be awfully glib about the fact the atmosphere is saturated with sulphuric acid, which seems like something to account for when talking about the ease of maintaining a colony.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ElPez posted:

One issue of built orbital stations I don't see come up often is that of just keeping up with the gradual decay of the interior and the structure itself. Condensed water, particulates, microorganisms, etc. is going to build up everywhere and corrode stuff, especially in inaccessible places like ducts and the insides of machinery, so it needs to be easy to keep clean. Even so, modules would have to be continuously broken up and replaced when their maintenance stopped being cost-effective. And with a small, closed ecosystem and low organic diversity you're going to be facing the space version of algal blooms.

Simulated gravity, direct sunlight, clean air, downtime, etc: All luxuries. A space habitat is going to look (and presumably smell) something like this most of the time:

In general, I suspect there are big remaining challenges in a lot of relatively unglamorous fields like ecology, biology, industrial processes and modular design. The rocket stuff is mostly working, and it's just a tiny piece of the puzzle anyhow.

i remember bruce sterling's schismatrix had ships hosting genetically engineered cockroaches to eat up detritus

that was a cool series, you had a long-tapped out asteroid colony use its legal status as an independent nation to perform piracy

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You seem to be awfully glib about the fact the atmosphere is saturated with sulphuric acid, which seems like something to account for when talking about the ease of maintaining a colony.

We're talking about space colonization. When the other problems you deal with include solar radiation, cosmic radiation, gravity sickness, hard vacuum, extreme temperature differences, and micrometeorites, sulfuric acid honestly seems quaint.

Personally I'm of the opinion that simulated gravity via rotation is not a luxury, but necessary to a permanent habitat in space. And when I say permanent, I mean people living entire lifetimes in it, not just a year or two.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the three different kinds of handles on the same surface is really doing something to the back of my brain

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

The most reasonable proposals for terraforming Venus involve solar shades, and even those are gigastructures when compared to the current scale of human production.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

rudatron posted:

also heat is going to be a massive big problem, especially with stuff like foundaries and industry

space is cold but a perfect insulator, which is why even the iss, needs those little white things sticking out the side - those are radiators

dawg

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/basicdesign.php#radiators

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baloogan posted:

why can't we build sky cities on earth, what benefits does venus bring?

think bespin

literal gas harvester converted into a city top

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Concordat posted:

Personally I'm of the opinion that simulated gravity via rotation is not a luxury, but necessary to a permanent habitat in space. And when I say permanent, I mean people living entire lifetimes in it, not just a year or two.

Yeah, people won't survive for long in space without being centrifuged. What I meant though, is that you won't necessarily be able to assume that spilled/condensed fluids and detritus will find its way to a drain/floor/air filter everywhere. There'd likely be central storage/work areas where stuff weighed very little and instruments for comms and observation could be at ~rest relative to the central axis. People would spend a lot of time there. Also, space near the rotating edges may be at a premium, and animals (if any) and plants tend to need gravity too. I'm thinking maybe two orders of magnitude bigger than the ISS, though, not a far future megastructure where anything might be possible.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

steinrokkan posted:

mmmnot at the altitude they're talking about. if the steel balloons lose about 30km of altitude then they would indeed begin to be eroded and probably never rise again. if the cloud cities nasa proposes sink to a point where they encounter meaningful amounts of SO4 poo poo's already hosed anyway.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

ElPez posted:

Kind of a shame about the radiation environment around Europa, but what about a colony on Enceladus? Just think of the view.

I was looking up articles on tinnitus when I found this gem buried in the comments section

quote:

So, is the sound we're hearing originating from the 'Cube?" Not the Mecca Cube, but the real one on the North Pole of Saturn? What I hear is a match for the sounds I hear from Youtube's Saturn (north pole) videos. NASA now says life probably started from 'seed bursts' from the Saturn Moon Enceladus, which is obviously derived from the Sumerian, Enki, who was thought to be the R1A & R1B Y-Haplo creator. Demiurge on behalf of Saturn. Man, still having a hard time w/ the moon landing and now we're suppose to know how our soul (Sew EL = Righteousness) is manufactured? Supposedly spends time with the Father, then Mother, then here = children are little gods to be corrupted.

So yeah, Enceladus it is, baby! Hopefully whatever microscopic forms of life swimming around beneath the ice (fingers crossed!) won't mind us moving in.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Ocean on Saturn Moon Enceladus May Have Potential Energy Source to Support Life.

quote:

Saturn's icy moon Enceladus is looking better and better as a potential abode for alien life.

Chemical reactions that free up energy that could potentially support a biosphere have occurred — and perhaps still are occurring — deep within Enceladus' salty subsurface ocean, a new study suggests.

This determination comes less than two months after a different research team announced that active hydrothermal vents likely exist on Enceladus' seafloor, suggesting that conditions there could be similar to those that gave rise to some of the first lifeforms on Earth.

A salty ocean

Enceladus has an extensive water ocean under its icy crust, feeding water jets that emerge from near the south pole.

The satellite is covered by an icy shell, but it's geologically quite active, as evidenced by the powerful geysers that blast continuously from its south polar region. These plumes contain significant amounts of water, which scientists think originates from a subsurface ocean.

Previous studies have suggested that this ocean is in contact with Enceladus' rocky mantle, making possible all sorts of interesting chemical reactions. The new paper, published Wednesday (May 6) in the journal ‪Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, further supports that notion.

The researchers studied mass-spectrometry measurements of the gases and ice grains in Enceladus' plumes made by NASA's Cassini spacecraft, which has been orbiting Saturn since 2004. The team used this information to develop a model that estimates the saltiness and pH of Enceladus' plumes, and, by extension, the moon's underground ocean.

The scientists determined that the ocean is likely salty and quite basic, with a pH of 11 or 12 — roughly equivalent to that of ammonia-based glass-cleaning solutions, but still within the tolerance range of some organisms on Earth. (The pH scale runs from 0 to 14. Seven is neutral; anything higher is basic, and anything lower is acidic.)

Enceladus' subsurface sea contains dissolved sodium chloride (NaCl) — run-of-the-mill table salt — just as Earth's oceans do, researchers said. But it's full of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), which is also known as washing soda or soda ash, as well.

So this alien water body is probably more similar to terrestrial "soda lakes," such as ‪Mono Lake in California, than it is to the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, study team members said.

An energy source in the dark depths

Such inferences shouldn't dishearten astrobiologists; a variety of lifeforms thrive in Mono Lake, including brine shrimp and many different types of microbe. And the new study provides other reasons to be optimistic about Enceladus' life-hosting potential, researchers said.

For example, the team's model suggests that the subsurface ocean's high pH is generated by a process called serpentization, in which certain kinds of metallic rocks from Enceladus' upper mantle are transformed into new minerals (including serpentine, hence the name) via interactions with water.

In addition to raising pH, serpentization results in the production of molecular hydrogen (H2) — a potential source of chemical energy for any lifeforms that may exist in the underground sea, researchers said.

‪"Molecular hydrogen can both drive the formation of organic compounds like amino acids that may lead to the origin of life, and serve as food for microbial life such as methane-producing organisms," study lead author Christopher Glein, of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, said in a statement.

"As such, serpentinization provides a link between geological processes and biological processes," he added. "The discovery of serpentinization makes Enceladus an even more promising candidate for a separate genesis of life."

Sunlight probably doesn't flow through Enceladus' underground sea, but any microbes that exist there may thus have access to two different sources metabolism-supporting energy sources — molecular hydrogen and the heat provided by hydrothermal vents.

Could we escape Donald Trump by building an underwater facility beneath the ice of Enceladus?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Could we escape Donald Trump by building an underwater facility beneath the ice of Enceladus?

Even better, just carve the base out of the ice sheet itself. It's really, really thick, so you'd have essentially infinite space. Then melt it for water and separate it into O2 and H2 for breathable air and party balloons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rip the last man to walk on the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

SpaceGoku posted:

nasa will become a useless husk of its former self because newt wants private space travel, not government space travel

the moon will be ruled by china

the next man on the moon will be chinese

:rip:

• Locked thread