Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

zegermans posted:

Caring about space travel is the whitest poo poo

Every dollar spent on NASA has a larger positive economic impact than any spent on tax breaks.

So yeah it's pretty white but not the whitest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I wanna build a big ramp and run spaceships down it using maglev at mach 1 and fire it into space from the top of a mountain.

gently caress space elevators, hit the biggest ramp, fifty.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

This was gonna be a thing but then NASA forgot about it and wandered off to try and build another space plane.
The 90's were pretty weird in space.

I know, one of them was rocket-sled based, the other design was maglev, poo poo was rad.

I recall the estimated cost of developing and building them was a fraction Space Shuttle program, and would have drastically reduced the cost of getting poo poo into space. What a shame.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

My favorite Instagram account of all time is @NASA

Not because of the images they post, but because of the comments.

The comment section on every one of their pictures looks like this

The NASA twitter account is pretty much the same, except you also get run of the mill climate change deniers, religious nuts demanding NASA publish science facts from the Bible/Koran/etc, people demanding NASA do something about chemtrails, and of course UFOlogists.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Nov 27, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Can't wait for my cyber self to get hosed up by spambots and malware.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Baloogan posted:

naw the POINT is to get to mars, I absolutely wouldn't because obviously my soul wouldn't get uploaded till like technology imrpoves (like, 100s of years from now)

I think the 'slice and dice then simulate brain in detail' style upload will eventually happen, but will lose the soul; maybe like 3000 AD + they figure out how to upload / transfer souls

I'd want a fully nondestructive upload, hell, I've ALREADY uploaded a good chunk of myself onto the net in the form of chat bots, websites, uploads, software etc. I really just need some AI to keep updating what I've already done, like when Twitter crashes and burns i want my twitter bot code to be updated to whatever Twitter 2.0 is. Something that manages my estate to keep paying for website hosting / cloud storage etc. Nothing complicated.

souls don't exist idiot, we're all just barely functioning meat computers in meat chariots.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Neuroscience is dealing dualism a slow death.

Also Scott Adams is such a shitbag that I honestly feel a bit hurt by that. :(

Concordat has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Nov 29, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

This is the reason that Flat Earth is so attractive to people.

It restores geocentrism. The entirety of existence revolves around us. In that universe, it would make a lot more sense for humans to be some kind of special being inhabited by an interior invisible light, instead of just another animal that happens to have a large and incredibly complex brain thanks to sexual selection.

That's why NASA and the other space agencies end up getting cast as lucifers and harbingers of end times prophecies. The blending of pseudoscience conspiracies and ancient religious dogma in the youtube age is just incredible.

Yinlock posted:

that and they're real fuckin' dumb

This, but also extremely narcissistic and insecure.
Such narcissism naturally lends itself to thinking they know more than people in the past and present who studied this poo poo for their entire lives.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Let me remind everyone that one of the probable implications of current exoplanet research is that super earth's are good and strong places for life to exist. Earth and (probably Venus) are comparatively garbage planets for life and the sun is probably on the high end for life bearing stars. So in a way we are special but just in the way we wanted...

Pretty sure those super Earths have so much gravity that they gently caress up the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation so bad its impossible to leave their atmosphere with chemical rockets. So yeah they might have life but it'll be physically short, and if intelligent, incapable of leaving, unless they Project Orion their way out.

Venus is a better target for colonization than Mars anyway. Temperature and gravity are Earthlike at a few dozen miles above the surface. It's also closer and easier to get to, and breathable air is a lifting gas at that altitude so making a floating city platform thing isn't that untenable.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 2, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Maduo posted:

our fixation on mars is patriarchal, we should be making dope rear end cloud cities on venus instead

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

rudatron posted:

living on planets is actually hugely expensive and wasteful, the vast majority of the future human population are going to live in space colonies

so gently caress mars

Stanford Torus, Bernal Sphere, or O'Neil cylinder?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

There's got to be a better way!

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You seem to be awfully glib about the fact the atmosphere is saturated with sulphuric acid, which seems like something to account for when talking about the ease of maintaining a colony.

We're talking about space colonization. When the other problems you deal with include solar radiation, cosmic radiation, gravity sickness, hard vacuum, extreme temperature differences, and micrometeorites, sulfuric acid honestly seems quaint.

Personally I'm of the opinion that simulated gravity via rotation is not a luxury, but necessary to a permanent habitat in space. And when I say permanent, I mean people living entire lifetimes in it, not just a year or two.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

The most reasonable proposals for terraforming Venus involve solar shades, and even those are gigastructures when compared to the current scale of human production.

• Locked thread