Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
nobody alive today will live to see the colonization of any other planet, moon, or asteroid

go put up a self-sufficient colony in the sahara desert, or the antarctic, and have it just survive for ten years without being sent more supplies, and then start making plans

and these are places you can drive any number of trucks into, also there's air you can breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

:3:

the cheeto bandito should tap Newt to head Fish and Wildlife Services, or maybe the Smithsonian could poach him for the National Zoo

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

gently caress you im gonna burn so much wood over the winter
im gonna try to do all my cooking on the wood stove and then im going to fail misterably and use the electric stove LIKE A DOG

just get a propane or alcohol stove, works off the grid but you still get the fine temperature control that your crepes Suzette and seared sweetmeats in brandy sauce so sorely need

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

idk, personally I feel some strange loyalty to the species, I guess. maybe it's just jealousy of the capacities of AI, but I think the root is my fear of death and desire for immortality. Most people achieve it through their kids, but when AI comes humanity will go extinct soon after, so it's not like my genes will be carried on. I'd capture that sense of immortality if I was one of the founders of a Martian colony and got a future cities and martian streets named after me, but that's unlikely.

I'd feel pride in AI if I was the guy that invented it, but just having been a member of the species that produced it isn't enough for me to feel happy about it, especially if its the thing that ends up killing me.

I don't know, if dogs evolved sapience and opposable thumbs, I honestly wouldn't care that much whether it was my dog's great-to-the-nth grandchildren or mine that eventually ended up inheriting the Earth. Same with AI, really. Also, AIs don't really compete for the same resources we do, so if we go to war with them, it's gonna be over some really stupid poo poo.

• Locked thread