Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIo6qwJarI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
space is our only choice

we gotta get off earth

we are the parents of a dead earth

our generation is gonna be loled at for eternity haha

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sure the rich people can get off earth ,but in a generation the children of the rich will be th e scum of space so it all evens out god has one hell of a dry sense of humor

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
SPACE
if that cuck king elon musk gets my rear end to mars to die screaming and rolling on the marsian surface he will no longer be the cuck king

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

zeal posted:

to die in space is surely the greatest death any flesh ape can hope for

id rather die on mars than in space
but id also like to upload my brain to shitpost forever before my fleshape can chillax to death on mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

They'd just tell you they are uploading your brain and then not do it, because who the gently caress cares?

i figure id chat with iBaloogan, lay down some ground rules, divide assets, make sure it was a good transfer

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

what if when you dowloaded your consciousness the "physical" you died instantly? An immortal digitized copy of yourself is made, but from the perspective of the "you" that pressed the download button, it's an instant cut-to-black. The end. Would you still do it? (same deal with teleportation, ala The Prestige).

naw the POINT is to get to mars, I absolutely wouldn't because obviously my soul wouldn't get uploaded till like technology imrpoves (like, 100s of years from now)

I think the 'slice and dice then simulate brain in detail' style upload will eventually happen, but will lose the soul; maybe like 3000 AD + they figure out how to upload / transfer souls

I'd want a fully nondestructive upload, hell, I've ALREADY uploaded a good chunk of myself onto the net in the form of chat bots, websites, uploads, software etc. I really just need some AI to keep updating what I've already done, like when Twitter crashes and burns i want my twitter bot code to be updated to whatever Twitter 2.0 is. Something that manages my estate to keep paying for website hosting / cloud storage etc. Nothing complicated.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

souls don't exist idiot, we're all just barely functioning meat computers in meat chariots.

wow didn't know scott adams posts on SA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

The idea that the Earth is flat and that the planets, sun, moon, and starts are nothing like what we are told has been catching on recently, and most people seem to feel that it is a lie and more importantly a distraction.

Those in the flat Earth camp (like Santos Bonacci) are being called lunatics for suggesting this, and whatever evidence/proof they give to show the Earth is flat can just as easily be countered with evidence/proof that the Earth is round. But if one is to consider that there are multiple dimensions, then is it really that hard to believe that in our “dimension” (for lack of a better word) the Earth is round but from the perspective of someone in another dimension the flat Earth model is 100% correct? Well consider this:

In my interview with George Kavassilas, George said that about 70% of crop circles are made by ET’s who are trying to guide humanity in a particular direction, and the flat crop circle that they make actually looks completely different when projected in a form with more dimensions. Further, akashic records reader Andrew Bartzis has described the hollow Earth model as true, but not the way most hollow Earth enthusiasts tell it. The mainstream science model with a crust, mantle, and core is accurate, but the core is not iron but is more like a 4th dimensional star. Also, in every atom within the Earth lies a whole universe of beings to reside in (similar to the neck belt worn by the cat named Orion in the first “Men In Black” movie which contained an entire galaxy within the neck belt ball.)

So is it really that hard to imagine that the spherical Earth model that we know of relative to the flat Earth model is analogous to a higher-dimensional model crop circle that we cannot perceive relative to the flat crop circle model that we can easily perceive. And can one make better sense of this by thinking that if a whole universe can be contained in a small atom within the Earth, then a whole new type of higher dimensional crop circle can be perceived from a flat crop circle that doesn’t look anywhere near as fancy as its higher dimensional counterpart?

I’m only giving out theories and ideas. You folks can try to make sense of this.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
earth is actually irl roundish / spericalish / looks like a ball IRL

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

we're never gonna colonize mars we're all gonna die on this shithole after breitbart fakes a video of elon musk sacrificing a child to moloch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYVrBX4v0

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIo6qwJarI

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
your traveling through space atm

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
pretty quickly!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
musk said 100k to mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

only a loser would do this. the hells the point if im dead

i think the point is you kinda ascend to a higher plane, is all that you are your consciousness? whos to say that its you every time you wake up in the morning?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

me. i say im me.

how can u be sure? what evidence do u have that ur the same u every morning?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

only a loser would do this. the hells the point if im dead

Terror Sweat posted:

this is retarded.

excuuuuuuuse me i thought u had wanted like discussion or something instead of just making GBS threads on a neat sci fi concept and high tailing it outta hear jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what would constitute proof that you are not you? say, you woke up one morning in a robot body, but still felt like you, what would you do to verify who you are?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id like to rot in the ground on mars, or rot in the ground on earth. with all my organs k thx.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo rotting in the ground is what god wants us to do. and like, its better to rot in the ground on a planet that desperately need fertilizer like mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gods like, big into plants and composting

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think therefor i am

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
u call that thinking?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

You wouldn't rot on Mars, idiots.

of course id rot on mars, im full of bacteria which would colonize the gently caress out of mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
your loving stupid dude to not realize we're full of bateria!!!!!! and the daytime summer temperatures on mars get up to like normal human temperatures, and some bateria love low oxygen enviroments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loving idiot you will never get to mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
so, serious question, u think there is life on mars? like, viruses??

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

of course not, viruses are parasites totally dependent on the metabolism of others. what life that could eke out an existence would be fragile and fragmentary, a weak sun, biting cold, no liquid mediums for chemical rxns

do not hedge your bets on building a new biosphere on mars. preserve our fragile spaceship earth while we can

gently caress you im gonna burn so much wood over the winter
im gonna try to do all my cooking on the wood stove and then im going to fail misterably and use the electric stove LIKE A DOG

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"the purpose of consciousness"

who's purpose? imo consciousness is one of the many divine gifts granted by god or an 'accident' in the same way an ant hill is so intricate and cool is an 'accident'.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah thats exactly it im gonna rot in the ground and eventually hopefully become soil and spell out c u c k in flowers

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

idk, personally I feel some strange loyalty to the species, I guess. maybe it's just jealousy of the capacities of AI, but I think the root is my fear of death and desire for immortality. Most people achieve it through their kids, but when AI comes humanity will go extinct soon after, so it's not like my genes will be carried on. I'd capture that sense of immortality if I was one of the founders of a Martian colony and got a future cities and martian streets named after me, but that's unlikely.

I'd feel pride in AI if I was the guy that invented it, but just having been a member of the species that produced it isn't enough for me to feel happy about it, especially if its the thing that ends up killing me.

The cosmos are filled with machine intelligence. Wonder if that is why they are so silent.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Oh yeh, my preference would definitely be a ringworld-type multigenerational colony ship , where we push out to the stars in the general direction of a habitable exoplanet and hope. It could be nice and comfortable like the ships at the ends of Interstellar, and you also get cool sci-fi scenarios where like after 20 generations Earth becomes such a distant dream that it's just a part of their religion and such.

But for whatever reasons the powers-that-be are pushing Mars, and so Mars it is.

I think the plan is to terraform mars.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tho obviously we would get to mars, terraform mars, civilization would collapse, and people on mars would lose space flight etc and be all confused in a thousand years and there would be no evidence of evolution so obviously they were divinely created on mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
especially with nuclear reactors

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
@rudeatron u should check out Children of a Dead Earth its like space combat game with realistic physics

got a seal of approval from Atomic Rockets the website

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64HCi2rQkE

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
why can't we build sky cities on earth, what benefits does venus bring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

you're also facing a number of other challenges:

your cities have to be bouyant, which is going to place massive limits on what they can look like/how much they cost
you have to do that while still dealing with weather
you have to harvest metal/metal ores to actually make anything, which means dealing with the surface and its conditions
you still have to escape the venutian gravity well to get back into space, which means launching back from ~1g (also you're launching from floating cities, totes safe right?)
you're going to need exotic materials to make the whole thing work, because you're essentially building a 'shorter' space elevator

compared to those problems, shielding from space rays & inertial gravity isn't that hard

imo our orbital habitats will be drilling holes in a asteroid then spinning it up. why gently caress around with tin cans? live where the resources are. live IN the resources.

• Locked thread