Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, you may have heard about a recent, small US election that may have gone in a less than ideal direction. In fact, you may have read news headlines about a bunch of silly Americans threatening to move to Canada, which is a country that obviously loves having a bunch of extra mouths to feed suddenly. Alternatively, you might have heard about a couple of refugees who've just turn up on more than a few doorsteps unannounced and who are definitely not becoming the victims of mass hysteria.

Yes, it seems like half of everybody is looking for safety and sanity outside their borders; and this is a thread where we all come to the tear-soaked conclusion that the whole world is, in fact, doomed less than eager to have anyone who isn't super-privileged, talented or educated burdening their economies.

Here's a picture of the Myra Rock Tombs, to make this post more visually interesting

My current pipe dreams possible destinations include:

Argentina; because it's just chock full of pretty people
Germany; One of the last, shining beacons of liberal democracy
Iceland; Because I've got a surprising number of friends there.
Greenland; because I feel like Global Warming is really gonna make it a premier summer getaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
As more useful data shows up, it'll be put here for better use to the thread

Choosing Destinations

Xibanya posted:

For those looking for a place to chill outside the US for awhile, I also suggest Spain :spain: it has a nice combination of European standards of living and cheap healthcare even (as someone who'd overstayed a visa I was still able to get insurance for about 30€/month) combined with that wonderful Southern European tradition of officials not actually giving any fucks (it's super easy to get in and out on an overstayed visa.) additionally you can make bank in the major cities by giving private English classes, 20€/hour or more. My last year in Madrid I was earning 1,500€/month tax-free for 20 hours of work per week.

However, know that if America is truly turbofucked, you won't be able to escape that no matter how far you run.

Getting There
Teaching English as a Foreign Language Thread: A very well made thread that can help you qualify to at least get out of the country for a couple years.
How to get EU Citizenship, by Country; Thanks freebooter!
Skilled Occupations List for Australian states. Thanks Helith!

Living There

Other Useful Stuff
US Department of State Human Rights Reports: Organized by region and country. Can be good for vetting some of the less well-known countries that don't have a huge media presence.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 28, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
But I'm moving to Canada!

just jking didnt mean it

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I wrote a thing a while ago you might find handy - https://thebillfold.com/how-to-get-eu-citizenship-country-by-country-ed6694f6111a#.t8sv061me

At the risk of sounding arrogant I think a lot of Americans don't appreciate that America is not the only country that doesn't just let people rock up and live there. Literally every country in the world is like that, even developing ones. I've been grilled at the Malaysian border because I didn't have an onward ticket.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I've been thinking about Ireland as my backup country when things don't go my way.

English speaking, a decent tax rate, and lots of redheaded women. What's not to like except for the Irish weather?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 25, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

thrakkorzog posted:

I've been thinking about Ireland as my backup country when things don't go my way.

English speaking, a decent tax rate, and lots of redheaded women. What's not to like except for the Irish weather?

The Irish economy

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I recently moved to Germany from the states by transferring within my company. If you want to move, I strongly recommend getting a highly profitable international megacorp to pay for it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Megacorps are truly the way of the future.

:negative:

Also, added your link, Freebooter

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thrakkorzog posted:

For your sake hope you aren't dark skinned or polish/slavic looking, especially in the countryside.

Economy is in the toilet, and has been for a good while now.

Beer is ~$6 a pint

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am American and would like to eventually move to Marseille, or to a smaller town nearby, though not really in the near future. Not for political reasons I just like there more than pretty much anywhere else I've been.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have the opportunity to get an Italian passport through my dad and therefore EU citizenship, but it's gonna require some birth certificate fuckery. Since my name and gender marker on my BC are incorrect, it'll have to be amended or reissued (depends on how the judge feels), but since I'm registered under an old name as my dad's kid I'm worried that the Italian immigration people will just reject my application outright. :sigh: Has anyone attempted to get EU citizenship through Italy before, and have any advice for me?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Could you elaborate on that? Are you trans, or was there a clerical error when you were born?

You can probably just add any supporting documents and a cover letter explaining why you had to change your name/gender and why there's that discrepancy, and then get it apostilled (which you'll have to do for the other documents anyway).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What are the odds of moving to Australia?

I'm don't have a degree but I've been in my field for over a decade and done well.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tab8715 posted:

Are you stunningly wealthy?
Do you hold an incredibly rare and valuable technical certification?

If you answered no to both questions, the odds aren't good.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Depends on the degree of wealth and technical skill.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I have a friend who did it by marrying an Australian. He moved there I think 7 or 8 years ago and just got his full citizenship the other day.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I have a friend who did it by marrying an Australian. He moved there I think 7 or 8 years ago and just got his full citizenship the other day.

The same may be easily done in United States.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tab8715 posted:

I'm don't have a degree but I've been in my field for over a decade and done well.

I came over as the de facto partner on my partners 457 visa. He works for a multinational company and picked up a job opportunity in Australia from an internal advert in the company in UK. We have just now got our permanent residency.
Look at the required jobs list on the Aussie immigration site and see if your job / trade is listed there. If you are in a required field it can be a good way in if your not picky about which bit of Australia you'll live in.

Here you go, it's the skilled occupations list or see if a particular state needs your trade / skills and will sponsor you.

Helith fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 26, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am going to migrate to the myra rock tombs

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I am going to migrate into an early grave. Join me bone-brothers, and let our skeletons party in hell.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Belize speaks English and has mennonites.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

N. Senada posted:

I am going to migrate into an early grave. Join me bone-brothers, and let our skeletons party in hell.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Helith posted:

Here you go, it's the skilled occupations list or see if a particular state needs your trade / skills and will sponsor you.
Added to second post. Thanks Helith!

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

I moved to Australia as a Canadian; I obtained citizenship after 5 years

It's a points based system; having a skill on the skilled occupation list is worth X points, being under age 32 is worth Y points, having a good command of english is worth Z points etc etc, if your points exceed a certain amount, you can be assured you can get permanent residence. You can find out what qualities are worth what points here but that means there's no guesswork. Either you have enough points in which case the odds are 100% that you can move here or you don't have enough points in which case the odds are very poor.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Just remember as an American you still gotta file tax returns each year even if you don't spend a day in the US or make any money there. You may end up paying US tax depending on how much you earn and what the tax rate is in your country of residence. Also it's getting harder to open bank accounts with foreign banks because the US government imposes onerous reporting requirements on banks that take on as clients US citizens who live abroad.

Basically, all the assholes who say "you don't like it you can get out" tend to vote for politicians who happily gently caress over people who actually do that.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Anything you'd be running from here is already a problem in the world at large, i.e. anti-globalist and nationalist trends. What little world travel I did, despite going through the effort to learn the language and culture of where I traveled to first, did not impress on me the stability of other regions and governments. Its also easy to underestimate the degree to which our familial and friendly support networks cushion and assist us.

Things aren't bad enough here for me to want to take that gamble. The rule of law isn't perfect here but it is absentee in parts of the developing world where a non-independently wealthy expatriate may try and go to stretch what wealth they have, and the developed countries largely don't want our expatriates unless they can pay their way all the way to the grave.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Anything you'd be running from here is already a problem in the world at large, i.e. anti-globalist and nationalist trends. What little world travel I did, despite going through the effort to learn the language and culture of where I traveled to first, did not impress on me the stability of other regions and governments. Its also easy to underestimate the degree to which our familial and friendly support networks cushion and assist us.

Things aren't bad enough here for me to want to take that gamble. The rule of law isn't perfect here but it is absentee in parts of the developing world where a non-independently wealthy expatriate may try and go to stretch what wealth they have, and the developed countries largely don't want our expatriates unless they can pay their way all the way to the grave.

Oh, I totally get there's weird nationalism trend starting worldwide and you can't run from it but moving to another country is a fun day dream.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Just remember as an American you still gotta file tax returns each year even if you don't spend a day in the US or make any money there. You may end up paying US tax depending on how much you earn and what the tax rate is in your country of residence. Also it's getting harder to open bank accounts with foreign banks because the US government imposes onerous reporting requirements on banks that take on as clients US citizens who live abroad.

Basically, all the assholes who say "you don't like it you can get out" tend to vote for politicians who happily gently caress over people who actually do that.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping Trump might repeal some of the more onerous banking regulations that Obama put into place.

So maybe a non-millionare ex-pat can go to a foreign country and earn a decent living without the IRS loving things up. That's seems easier than denouncing my citizenship just so I can open up a bank account.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 30, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Serrath posted:

I moved to Australia as a Canadian; I obtained citizenship after 5 years

It's a points based system; having a skill on the skilled occupation list is worth X points, being under age 32 is worth Y points, having a good command of english is worth Z points etc etc, if your points exceed a certain amount, you can be assured you can get permanent residence. You can find out what qualities are worth what points here but that means there's no guesswork. Either you have enough points in which case the odds are 100% that you can move here or you don't have enough points in which case the odds are very poor.

How exactly does that work? Do you have to have one of those jobs already lined up, and can then apply, or do you just need a degree and/or experience in those areas?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

How exactly does that work? Do you have to have one of those jobs already lined up, and can then apply, or do you just need a degree and/or experience in those areas?

Click the link; one of the tabs goes into what is worth what points. For example, if you have a job already lined up, you get X points added to your total (and you can apply for a special subclass of visa called a sponsored skills visa which has a lower threshold overall). If you have a doctoral degree, you get X points, if you have "just" a masters degree, you get Y points. If you have 5 years experience, you get a certain number of points, if you have 10 years experience, you get more points.

If your points exceed the required number of points, you're over the threshold and the way it works is if you're over, you'll be granted the visa, if you're under, you won't (there's no bonus for extra points or anything). This means that, for example, if you have no experience in your field but a super advanced degree, you can be offered a skilled visa. If you have just an entry level degree but decades of experience, same thing - it's mix and match until you're over the point number.

The one thing to keep in mind is how they asses skills/experience in your field because it's very field dependent. For example, I came independently on a skilled visa as a clinical psychologist. But having a degree wasn't enough, if you look on the skilled occupation list, every occupation has a "certifying agency" which acts on the government's behalf to check your qualifications and make sure they're equivalent to the Australian standard. For psychology, the Australian Psychological Society performed this duty; I had to send them my transcript, they reviewed it and certified that my degree and registration from Canada was equivalent to the same degree and registration in Australia and only when I had that certifying document could I be credited with the points associated with working in a field on the skilled occupations list (I got lucky; in the year I applied, clinical psychology was listed on the critical skills shortage list meaning it attracted even more points than an occupation on the skilled occupations list). My brother is a helicopter pilot so he had his Canadian pilot licence checked against the Australian standard. Unfortunately for him, the certification in Australia is slightly different to Canada and CASA (his certifying agency for piloting uhhh civil aviation society of australia, I think) told him he would need to complete an additional 10 hours of pilot school to be considered to fly in Australia.

For me, at least, having a critical skill certified + being under 30 + graduate degrees in my field meant I accrued enough points without considering my experience in the field or whether I spoke English or other considerations. So I just applied, was granted something called a Bridging Visa which is a temporary visa that grants all the work + entry rights that permanent residency grants while they assessed my case and then I was awarded residency. There wasn't any mystery or uncertainty about the process; because the points attributed to different qualities was easy to see, being granted my visa was just a matter of procedure.

It was expensive, though; the visa application was $2500, I had to take about $500 worth of medical exams to screen me for various diseases, the Australian Psychological Society charged me $1500 to assess my qualifications and there were a few other fees I'm forgetting that added up. I think they've raised the visa application fee in the time that I've been here as well

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Moved from NY to Sweden this May, and it took about a year and change. Living with the other half finally!

Kilroy posted:

This doubly so. The one thing I did notice about immigration is how hard it was to get paperwork from the US government, whether domestically or abroad.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping Trump might repeal some of the more onerous banking regulations that Obama put into place.

So maybe a non-millionare ex-pat can go to a foreign country and earn a decent living without the IRS loving things up. That's seems easier than denouncing my citizenship just so I can open up a bank account.

Uh yeah, in reality, though, it's only the ultra-rich that will ever benefit criminally from offshoring will be able to bleed the wealth of the US :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Just remember as an American you still gotta file tax returns each year even if you don't spend a day in the US or make any money there.

Is this actually enforced? Australia has the same rule but I've never filed a tax return for the years I've lived overseas and don't know any other Australians who have either. I always assumed it was more to prevent millionaires from offshoring, the ATO doesn't give a poo poo about my measly 22,000 pounds a year or whatever lovely wage I had in London.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

freebooter posted:

Is this actually enforced? Australia has the same rule but I've never filed a tax return for the years I've lived overseas and don't know any other Australians who have either. I always assumed it was more to prevent millionaires from offshoring, the ATO doesn't give a poo poo about my measly 22,000 pounds a year or whatever lovely wage I had in London.
I'm unfamiliar with Australian laws/taxes, but the United States is one of only two countries (Eritrea is the other) in the world that expects their citizens living overseas to pay taxes. Thankfully there is a substantial tax break for living overseas, but they want to know how much money you're earning. They also want to know how much Americans have in foreign bank accounts, which is one reason that a lot of foreign banks don't like American clients anymore.

Basically I'd never compare United States tax compliance/enforcement with any other countries.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

edit: nm

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ugh, as highlighted in the thread I made a little while back, I'm disabled, so I'm not really heavily welcome anywhere unless I'm filing for political asylum for a good reason. However, if here in the states, the elected-but-not-yet-presiding officials get their way with healthcare and welfare reforms, there's uh, not a whole lot of survivability for me here, so I guess I'd have that going for me in the application process? I'd even be willing to have some very part time job or something as long as I didn't have to be on my feet all day, and it worked out with my medical schedules. But all that is pretty slim chances. So I'm left waiting to see what happens next.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do what I did... marry an Aussie.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What's the process like for moving to the US, and has it changed much in the past 20 years? I work seasonally as an outdoor instructor (think companies like NOLS/Outward Bound), and a surprisingly large number of the long-time instructors and base camp managers that I've met are immigrants, usually Aussies. Every time a thread like this pops up, the general consensus is that moving is extremely difficult, which makes me wonder how these guys are swinging permanent residency with a pretty low-qualification job.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Baronash posted:

What's the process like for moving to the US, and has it changed much in the past 20 years? I work seasonally as an outdoor instructor (think companies like NOLS/Outward Bound), and a surprisingly large number of the long-time instructors and base camp managers that I've met are immigrants, usually Aussies. Every time a thread like this pops up, the general consensus is that moving is extremely difficult, which makes me wonder how these guys are swinging permanent residency with a pretty low-qualification job.

I'm guessing they probably had H-2B Visas, aka seasonal work visas.

There probably aren't that many people out there willing to teach rock climbing and kayaking as a full time job. So some Australian got a sponsor teaching some outdoor sport, they did a good job, and then they get invited back next year. After that, they can ping-pong between America and Australia depending on the season.

I doubt DHS or INS is going to suffer any political feedback over some Australian beachbums working the summer camp circuit for the fourth time in as many years.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

freebooter posted:

Australia has this rule? Source? I've been living in the USA for close to 10 years and that's news to me.

On the topic of emigrating from the USA to escape what's happening; Australia might not be the place to go.

Cons:

It's already got climate change deniers in power.
It's already putting refugees in concentration camps and has been condemned by the UN for torturing children.
White nationalism / anti-Islamism is on the rise.
It's already forcing ISPs to log everything you do and share with the authorities.

Pros:

Workers have more rights (guaranteed 4 weeks minimum vacation, guaranteed 401k @ at least 9% contributed by employer, no such thing as 'at will employment' where you can be fired just because, get paid extra for working odd hours and weekends etc). This is slowly being eroded to be more like America though.
Socialized health care. Slowly being eroded.
Nice beaches.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2016

• Locked thread