Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

freebooter posted:

Is this actually enforced? Australia has the same rule but I've never filed a tax return for the years I've lived overseas and don't know any other Australians who have either. I always assumed it was more to prevent millionaires from offshoring, the ATO doesn't give a poo poo about my measly 22,000 pounds a year or whatever lovely wage I had in London.

Australia has this rule? Source? I've been living in the USA for close to 10 years and that's news to me.

On the topic of emigrating from the USA to escape what's happening; Australia might not be the place to go.

Cons:

It's already got climate change deniers in power.
It's already putting refugees in concentration camps and has been condemned by the UN for torturing children.
White nationalism / anti-Islamism is on the rise.
It's already forcing ISPs to log everything you do and share with the authorities.

Pros:

Workers have more rights (guaranteed 4 weeks minimum vacation, guaranteed 401k @ at least 9% contributed by employer, no such thing as 'at will employment' where you can be fired just because, get paid extra for working odd hours and weekends etc). This is slowly being eroded to be more like America though.
Socialized health care. Slowly being eroded.
Nice beaches.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you're still a resident of Australia but earned it overseas. I don't think this applies to expatriots.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

N. Senada posted:

To be fair to that last pro about beaches, they're slowly being eroded as well Ranter.

Nice.

• Locked thread