Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/PatriciaMazzei/status/802400487043538949

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
when in doubt disbelieve everything that cubans in florida tell you

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gusanos is not a racist slur for fucks sake. Its like commie or something like that. Im from Chile, believe me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It is now! Hooray hooray! gently caress castro, and ya commie bastards!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

okay that was a fun 50 years but it's time to put batista and his big rear end hat back in power

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Lmao, the MIAMI HERALD, who you might expect to take this seriously, has devoted a quarter of its Castro front page to attacking Colin Kaepernick's take on him.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think its pretty classless and lovely for some white dude to call for Muerte a la Gusanos or whatever but yeah its more like calling all republicans Bastard Assholes a whole lot and it sticks and everyone calls them Bastard Assholes for 60 years

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BFF

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i think its pretty classless and lovely for some white dude to call for Muerte a la Gusanos or whatever but yeah its more like calling all republicans Bastard Assholes a whole lot and it sticks and everyone calls them Bastard Assholes for 60 years

i appreciate the retraction but agree it was in poor taste

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah but they don't put you in jail or harass your family for being a republican

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Remember that band named Viet Cong that changed their name after becoming convinced that the Viet Cong were a terrorist group that targeted the Vietnamese

quote:

The actual Viet Cong were a notoriously brutal insurgent group that terrorized Vietnamese citizens during the Vietnam War. To the protesters, the idea of appropriating that name to describe moody, tense post-punk was hideously crass. At first, the band pled ignorance. "When we named ourselves, we were naive about the history of a war in a country we knew very little about," they said in a statement. "We now better understand the weight behind the words Viet Cong."
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1110-why-viet-cong-have-changed-their-name-an-interview-with-frontman-matt-flegel/

The internet talk about Castro over the next few days is going to be like a global version of that

lol just as the econ vs identity debate flared up on the dems left again

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Atrocious Joe posted:

Remember that band named Viet Cong that changed their name after becoming convinced that the Viet Cong were a terrorist group that targeted the Vietnamese

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1110-why-viet-cong-have-changed-their-name-an-interview-with-frontman-matt-flegel/

The internet talk about Castro over the next few days is going to be like a global version of that

similar thing happened to my band hogan's heroes

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

younger brother steve castro takes power

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fidel's nephew, James "Jimmy" Castro, will take over.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

what do you guys think castro's last words were??

check out sextape

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zen death robot posted:

So what happens when Raoul kicks it?

Miami Dolphins owner buys half the island.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

zen death robot posted:

So what happens when Raoul kicks it?

raϊl already 85 so not much longer to see what happens after

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Raul dies Angelina Castro will be the next president of the Communist Party of Cuba.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

cuba becomes "guantanamo island"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Atrocious Joe posted:

idk whatever your feelings on the vietnam war the viet cong did some hosed up poo poo to vietnamese civilians. the US was in the wrong but we shouldn't pretend that the NVA or the VC were the Rebel Alliance or something, and its probably a bad move to name your north american band after the group much of the vietnamese-american community were refugees from

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Like, I don't get why this duder is idolized. He seems pretty lovely.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

check out sextape

i win motherfuckers

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Karl Barks posted:

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

punk rebel ecks posted:

i think you'll find he was actually very good

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

he was. he was never particularly dedicated to communist ideology, he was mostly just a cuban nationalist who hated batista; raul was the ideologue. but like a lot of lovely dictators he had a style and idolizing him was a way for lovely teens in the 60s to say 'no gently caress you dad'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Edgy communist people have very little to cling to as "successful" examples so they pretend Castro is one because Cuba isn't literally on fire

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

it's too bad that fidel didn't hang, raul must hang.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

all things considered cuba did pretty well for itself despite being embargoed by the largest economy in the world which happened to be directly next to it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Edgy communist people have very little to cling to as "successful" examples so they pretend Castro is one because Cuba isn't literally on fire

Why not look at Thomas Sankara or Tito then? They were much more successful.

Karl Barks posted:

i think you'll find he was actually very good

How? What did Communism in Cuba accomplish that Democracy in Cuba couldn't?

Karl Barks posted:

all things considered cuba did pretty well for itself despite being embargoed by the largest economy in the world which happened to be directly next to it

But what about Europe and the rest of the world?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/802410010047152129

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

punk rebel ecks posted:

How? What did Communism in Cuba accomplish that Democracy in Cuba couldn't?

communism and democracy aren't two sides of the same coin d00d

also why are you capitalizing democracy

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

same deal with thomas sankara, dude went after the unions and press and was well on his way to going full dictator but he got killed before he went really crazy so he's remember as the least flawed leftist revolutionary.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

okay the crying baby outside my door is now gone so i can sleep

god bless castro and god bless the united states

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cuba has a standard of living comparable to or exceeding the most advanced western countries despite being a tiny island nation under an unbelievably restrictive trade embargo for decades

in every conceivable metric it outstrips its neighbors and has managed to create and encourage specialized industries — health care being the most obvious example — which put equivalent services in some of the most highly developed economies on the planet to shame

if it managed to do this with a capitalist economy we'd be hailing cuba's successes relative to its size and development level in the same breath as south korea and japan

instead, the country that created a lung cancer vaccine and reforested 40 percent of its land mass, to name only a couple recent strides, was a bogeyman because of the cold war

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

serious q for the neolibs itt: do you actually think castro was worse than batista, or that cuba is worse off for his rule vs a string of whatever dictators we wouldve placed?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

same deal with thomas sankara, dude went after the unions and press and was well on his way to going full dictator but he got killed before he went really crazy so he's remember as the least flawed leftist revolutionary.

I wouldn't say that. He was much more mellow than the rest. He particularly went after one union for example.

Homework Explainer posted:

cuba has a standard of living comparable to or exceeding the most advanced western countries despite being a tiny island nation under an unbelievably restrictive trade embargo for decades

in every conceivable metric it outstrips its neighbors and has managed to create and encourage specialized industries — health care being the most obvious example — which put equivalent services in some of the most highly developed economies on the planet to shame

if it managed to do this with a capitalist economy we'd be hailing cuba's successes relative to its size and development level in the same breath as south korea and japan

instead, the country that created a lung cancer vaccine and reforested 40 percent of its land mass, to name only a couple recent strides, was a bogeyman because of the cold war

Cuba was already one of the most advanced nations in the Western hemisphere before Castro.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

Hit me with links about this because reading about forestry and reforestation is an extremely boring hobby of mine

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol how did this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Breakfast All Day posted:

serious q for the neolibs itt: do you actually think castro was worse than batista, or that cuba is worse off for his rule vs a string of whatever dictators we wouldve placed?

Two people can be bad people.

• Locked thread